Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been threads on this before, but I still have the question. How careful do I need to be around curbs? Will ANY curb scratch up the Sonata SE, or just higher than typical curbs?

I am very concerned about scratching the underside, and just want to try and get some information before I buy the car so I can be aware of those curbs that may scratch it up.

Further, if I do happen to scratch it up on a curb, is it all on the underside of the vehicle, or will it scratch up the face of the vehicle?

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (Inquisitive @ Dec 22 2010, 11:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382407
I know there have been threads on this before, but I still have the question. How careful do I need to be around curbs? Will ANY curb scratch up the Sonata SE, or just higher than typical curbs?

I am very concerned about scratching the underside, and just want to try and get some information before I buy the car so I can be aware of those curbs that may scratch it up.

Further, if I do happen to scratch it up on a curb, is it all on the underside of the vehicle, or will it scratch up the face of the vehicle?
Well, first of all, dont let this issue stop you from buying this car. All cars will have the same problem. Typically all curbs are the same height, but there are some that are higher. Most of us here donnot want to get their cars scratched up so the obvious answer is, BE CAREFUL! If I see a curb that looks unusually high I will tell the passenger "Watch the curb, open the door slowly" It's just common sense. :thumbsup: No secret formula.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Car has no issues with curbs on a street. Its the curbs in parking lots you have to watch for due to how low the front bumper is. You wont damage the bottom of the car as the bumper will take the damg
age. So go slow and park short to be safe. I got two big marks on my bumper from curbs. The curb was average size. What i didnt see at night was the pavement had a little indent so the wheel went in and bumper hit. It was slow bit took paint and some plastic off the bumper lip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, sorry I should have been more clear. I was curious about parking lot curb stops, not necessarily ones on the side of the road.

·
Registered
854 Posts
We have repainted hundreds and thousands of bumpers and I have yet to see a bumper that didn't have scrapes on the bottom.

Please don't let this stop you from buying a car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It all depends on the curb but I think this car will clear all but the really tall ones. You have the leading edge of the bumper but then there is another black strip under that. If anything that's what may catch on a tall parking curb. You have around 7.5" of clearance which should be enough. My old car would catch the curbs all the time, the Sonata hasn't caught one yet. It even goes over the 'step' in my garage.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've put 8,000 miles on my SE since last Feb. without any scrapes or scratches of the spoiler. I have no idea what the clearence is but I just make **** sure I leave room between the spoiler lip and any curb. Just don't try to use the lip as a "curb feeler" (anybody here old enough to remember these :grin: )

Don

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (DonRich90 @ Dec 22 2010, 08:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382529
I've put 8,000 miles on my SE since last Feb. without any scrapes or scratches of the spoiler. I have no idea what the clearence is but I just make **** sure I leave room between the spoiler lip and any curb. Just don't try to use the lip as a "curb feeler" (anybody here old enough to remember these :grin: )

Don
I'm old enough to remember curb feelers! :grin: I tell my wife PLEASE dont pull up to front end curbs or wheel stops til you hear or feel something the very first day we bought the car. She says she has a hard time judging distance and I say dont worry about it, just park where there are none! Problem solved! :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts