Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have replaced the headlight bulbs in my '99 Sonata 3 times in the last 2 weeks. My low beams keep burning out but the high beams are still working. Took to the mechanic today and they can't find anything wrong with it. They replaced the bulbs and 1 has already blown out.

Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Usually high voltage but that should not be the case. I would suspect the wiring for sure. What is the battery voltage when the car is running?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Chafed wire, loose connection, bad socket, bad switch...? It could be in your steering post wiring/light switch stalk... always fun to pinpoint, but not uncommon in general. With all the action that goes on with steering, chafing thru a wire is highly likely in that area. Or a shorting/failing relay that is on the low beam circuit. Anything that can cause an intermittent short. At least it seems confined to your low beam circuitry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is important to not touch the glass on the bulbs as the salts in the skin will shorten the bulb life. Try and wear gloves if you can.

·
22,788 Posts
It is important to not touch the glass on the bulbs as the salts in the skin will shorten the bulb life. Try and wear gloves if you can.
+1 It says that on the package. I thought it was "oils" in the skin that shortens the bulb's life. No matter, really. I always clean them with alcohol prior to installing and at no time does the fingers touch the bulb.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
High voltage and/or excessive vibration will be my first guess. Bad connections shouldn't burn out a bulb IMHO. See post #5; good idea, cheaper than a mechanic too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A H7 relay harness would be an easy cure and cheap.. Amazon has several sources. Not much harder to do than put in new bulbs. It bypasses the power wiring for the headlights and uses the OEM switching wring to power the relay.

Quick question, I'd like to try this myself. Could you point me to an online tutorial or instructions for what I'd need to do? I saw some videos about installing a relay, but they all assume you are also installing a HID, and I'm a bit confused as to what parts of the process are still important in my case, even without the HIDs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
A H7 relay harness would be an easy cure and cheap.. Amazon has several sources. Not much harder to do than put in new bulbs. It bypasses the power wiring for the headlights and uses the OEM switching wring to power the relay.

Quick question, I'd like to try this myself. Could you point me to an online tutorial or instructions for what I'd need to do? I saw some videos about installing a relay, but they all assume you are also installing a HID, and I'm a bit confused as to what parts of the process are still important in my case, even without the HIDs.

Thanks!
Most headlight relays offer a simple plug for the drivers side OE headlight socket. Then there would be two headlight sockets coming from the harness to the actual headlights. The passenger side OE socket would not be used.

All you need to do is power the 30 pin on the relay with a good always hot 30A circuit fused wire. Then ground the relay coil. Plug the harness into the OE socket and that's it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Anyone? Any thoughts at all? Please?
Run a voltage drop test across the positive and ground of the low beam back probing the connector with the headlight on. Google it YouTube to see what I'm talking about. As you do this move the wire harness around. Check for wire cutter casing is broken. Usually a volts + to ground will blow the fuse. Not sure if high resistance in the wires would blow a bulb. Moisture entering the connector can. Next bulb put some electric grease in the plug before connecting it to the base of the bulb.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bad wiring will NEVER burn a bulb. Only HIGHER voltage will do that, and bad wiring will only LOVER the voltage. That's just physics 101.

Check the voltage on battery/alternator with engine running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts