Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the members of this forum for your contributions. You directly and indirectly help many other members and visitors seeking answers to our problem(s)!

This time I'm experiencing a problem that I've not been able to resolve using the forum search tool.

Background: Sonata 2009 Limited. 165K Miles. Original factory installed everything. Chicago area.

Last week I drove to the mall in the snow. Headlights worked fine. Upon leaving the mall I realized that my low beam headlights were not working.

Purchased and installed one low beam headlight bulb, on the slim chance that both of them simply burned out at the same time. It didn't come on.

Results of an internet search indicated that the fuse might be blown. I pulled the 20amp Low Beam headlight fuse and sure enough it was bad. Put in a new fuse. Turned on the headlights and it blew instantly.

Have been driving with the high-beams the past 5 days. Only one car has "blinked" at me, so driving with the high-beams isn't a problem. Probably because there are so many cars with really bright low-beam headlights these days.

However, I would like some guidance to getting this problem resolved. What are the most likely reasons for the low-beam headlight fuse blowing instantly like this? Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Happy & Safe Holidays to All,
-Allen in Chicago

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Fuse blowing...

Allen,

Don't you hate electrical problems? Actually, they can be quite interesting and fun. =) It sounds like a direct short the way it blows instantly. Time to test and eliminate.
Okay, remove the plug from either the left or right low beam. Put in fuse and turn on. Fuse blows instantly… unplug the left and plug in the right side, and repeat step one. if it doesn't blow, the problem is in the left side. If it does blow, move up the circuit. I should have mentioned that first, check all your grounds and wiring to make sure grounds are good and connection are secure, etc.. Make sure there are no bare wires shorting to the chassis or elsewhere. Maybe you find a wire that has rubbed through and is grounding out. Maybe a loose ground, etc..

Move toward the switch, ignition, battery, etc.. Try unplugging both low beams and turn on the headlights/switch. If it blows, there is a short up-line. If it doesn't blow, short in the housing etc.. An amp/ohm meter is very helpful in tracking down a short. Bad Switch, wiring, etc..

Allen, I hope this helped. Electrical shorts can be fun once you find them if you are a line mechanic. it may turn out to be a common problem and you have the solution. It really is a matter of elimination. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Merry-merry and the New Year! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Both my headlights went out and my fog lights. I pulled the #23 fuse, 20 amp, and replaced. Turned on the lights and the new fuse blew in less than a second. I could really use some help here if the OP ever figured out his problem. Thank you,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same here. Both low beams and fog lights do not work but my fuses are fine and the new steering wheel switch did not work either.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Has car been hit in front, or run over curb / parking block a few too many time ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Has car been hit in front, or run over curb / parking block a few too many time ?
For mine, no. The fog lights never worked (bought the car Feb. 2017) headlights did work. I only can think of one time the front end dragged on a steep driveway backing out around March 2017. From what I remember the lowbeams stopped working around the same time my alternator was going out (oil damaged and replaced) a little over a month ago.

I tried new bulbs, fuses and swapped relays.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
DVOM will be your friend

·
Registered
61 Posts
My problem ended up being the passenger headlight blew and when it did, the metal filaments melted together creating a short. Once I repaced the bulb and another 20 amp fuse, everything has been fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts