Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2014 Santa Fe (LWB) needs new low beam bulbs. The factory ones aren't bright anymore. Found a youtube video on how to change them. Looked easy enough, so I picked some up at the parts store. The ones they sold me matched the ones I seen in the video, so I got them. Just now went to change them and they're completely different. The ones the sold me have an L shaped connector and uses a weatherproof snap on plug. I triple checked to make sure I was looking at the low beams under the hood. There's no way the ones they sold me will work. They factory ones just twist in and the connector is made onto the headlight housing and connects when it's twisted in. Does the LWB have different bulbs or something? Here's what her Santa Fe has from the factory...

·
Registered
802 Posts
On our 2014 we have the bulbs you have pictured. They are an H11b bulb. If I remember correctly, the manual calls for an H11 bulb, which is a different connector. I found that out the hard way also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I went back and took one of the bulbs and they matched it up. Yeah, it was supposed to be H11B's. Didn't show that in their computer though.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You need to do a voltage drop and see just how much power is being lost. With the light on measure from the battery positive post to the headlight positive. Max 0.5 volts. Then measure from the battery negative post to the bulb negative. Max 0.2 volts. These are approximate figures but the lower the better.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Incandescent bulbs do get dimmer as they age.
In the case of halogens the filament gets a rough texture, raising its resistance.
I can see it in the photo. The glass bulb is also a bit cloudy.
I doubt there's a voltage problem.
What brand and model bulb did you buy? They come with different brightness levels.
Generally those labeled "long life" or OEM are the lowest output.
Is the headlight housing still clear?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We got Sylvania XTRAVision H11B bulbs. There's still 2 higher brightness levels above the ones we got (Silverstar and Silverstar-Ultra), so one of those might be closer to stock performance. Yes, the headlight lenses are still clear. On the old bulbs, you can look closely at the elements and there's black spots between the coils. I'll still do a voltage drop test one evening after work, just to be sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just out of curiosity, I took a magnifying loop and placed my phone camera on the lens and took a picture of the old bulb. Here's what I seen. Looks to be in pretty rough shape.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Does look quiet burnt. I suppose over time that would occur. Incandescent bulbs deposit the metal film onto the glass as Circuitsmith said and they end up black but I haven't seen that occur with Halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She has a habit of running the headlights during the day, so they had a rough life. 93k miles and those are the original bulbs. We're probably gonna try a brighter bulb if the voltage drop test shows nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, pretty sure I found the problem. The dealership told us a while back, during an oil change, that the battery was a little weak, but not bad yet. When I went to the parts store to pick up some brighter bulbs, I got a new battery too. First we tried the new bulbs. They were a little brighter, but not what she was used to. Then I changed the battery and...wallah! Lights are alot brighter now! It cranks faster and also, she said her electric power steering is alot more responsive now. I guess the battery was getting weaker, probably fixing to go bad. Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now that's interesting, because everything electrical should be running directly off the alternator when the engine is running
Eh, are you sure? I thought the battery is supposed to keep everything powered and the alternater charges it back up.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
No he's correct. When the car is running the alternator supplies all the electrical energy for the car as well as recharging the battery. Easy test is to turn on a few electricals like high beam and heater fan air con etc and measure the battery voltage. Should be around 14 volts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts