Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In today's sharing "What you don't know and didn't ask to save time, money and aggravation": Well, that was a waste of time and $6.00. I was getting the "low battery" warning from the car for the key fob. Went online and watched a 3:35 youtube where about 1:30 in he finally showed how easy it is to replace. So, that was terrific (a little preying on the end with a small screwdriver, carefully removing the battery and I used a toothbrush to brush away any dust.) Put it all back, tested them, Terrific. Put the old batteries in my battery tester, and both zoom into the GREEN and GOOD... not talking about them being close to replace. All the way to the right on the tester. Glad I didn't spend whatever a shop or ACE or wherever would have charged me. So, guess I should have taken the batteries out, cleaned the inside and tested before opening the package. So, new rule: Don't trust the message. And of course, I fully expect to see it again with brand new batteries in it. I wonder? Since I avoid the dealership except for warranty work, do you think this just might be something programmed to force me in there so they can say, "you need this and this and this and this for only $1500, would you like to schedule today?" You know, since cars and all tech is so smart now and we as consumers are considered to be so stupid.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Boy, Hyundai hooked you into spending a whole $6 for DIY battery change!!! I got same message after about 3 years on original batteries and phoned dealer - he said just replace yourself with off the shelf batteries.

How long did you want to go before replacing, ti the doors and ignition stopped responding? I'm assuming the computer measures signal strength and is programmed to warn at a safe level.

You could have reinstalled the old ones after testing and saved the new ones for total failure.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Think of it as preventative maintenance. Chances are it warns you with a fair margin of safety in mind. Cost me $7 AUD for a 4 pack of Eveready lithium .

$6 USD must be a pretty good battery , what type was it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy, Hyundai hooked you into spending a whole $6 for DIY battery change!!! I got same message after about 3 years on original batteries and phoned dealer - he said just replace yourself with off the shelf batteries.

How long did you want to go before replacing, ti the doors and ignition stopped responding? I'm assuming the computer measures signal strength and is programmed to warn at a safe level.

You could have reinstalled the old ones after testing and saved the new ones for total failure.
Not the point. Point is, the 2032 3v that were in the car fobs were still showing 9/10 ... "fair" margin would be near the red, but I'm not going to waste time arguing about this. And it's not about "getting you for X dollars" for the battery. My comment was about it showing up and dolts that are too ignorant to do things for themselves rush to the dealership. I'm saving the old ones to be buried with me when these new ones die.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (DOM:11/09/17)
391 Posts
FYI: You can still start/drive your car even with a totally dead/missing FOB battery if you use the FOB to physically push on the 'Start' button.
Sorta like an "RFID" backup.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (DOM:11/09/17)
391 Posts
Not FUNNY, TRUTH!
(won't you be surprised!)

EDITED: A layman's interpretation. Since the Smart Key does not provide for an ignition key, some backup means must be in place to start/drive the vehicle if the FOB is present but the FOB battery is dead or has lost its remote communications link with its assigned vehicle. The 'backup' is a unique metallic strip incorporated into the FOB and a low-power reader built into the 'Start' button to interpret the metallic strip (like an employee ID badge reader). The FOB must be within 1/2 inch (+-) for the 'Start' button to read the metallic strip.
The 'Start' button's lights will not illuminate but the vehicle will start when the 'Start' button is depressed (using the FOB) and allow the vehicle to be driven, with all accessories functional.
Since the embedded metallic stip is unique to each FOB, the vehicle will be coded to a new FOB's metallic strip along with its normal two-way radio frequency handshake when a FOB is replaced.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a Sonata limited ultra tech,,,, the batteries wear down about one a year with this guy..... Go to Batteries plus, ask for the lifetime battery..... they change and clean the \fob and put a sticker on the battery.. next time it is low go back to a Batteries Plus and they will change it out for free forever...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts