Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
CVP33 - what an impressive list.

Before the Kona we had a Kia Soul for eight years. Once I had to replace a light bulb (marker light, not headlight) but otherwise it was trouble free.
My most loved (not best) car was a 2007 VW GTI, but had to get rid of it after the 3rd speeding ticket, my job would have been lost without a valid drivers licence.

As for owning a Corvette Z06, I imagine the hardest part with a car like that or similar is this: how to maintain adequate self control in order to avoid prison or death. I don't think I could, even at my age of 73. I admire you. Please be safe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I absolutely love the Kia Soul. When we test drove the Telluride I looked one over for 30 minutes. That's a very well built vehicle. If I had room or need for another vehicle, honestly that would be the one. As for the Z, I spent way too much money, time and effort trying to make heavier, less purpose built vehicles do what the Z was born to do. I didn't want to be the old guy in the Corvette. Now I don't care so much that I'm a rolling cliche. And luckily I've not attracted too much attention from law enforcement in my Z (can't say the same for my company car).

I will say that I've found an outlet for my inner-racer with participating in HPDE's (high performance driving events). I absolutely love the challenge of piloting my Z around VIR at speeds approaching 170mph. I'm no pro-driver by any stretch, but I do enjoy it, every time I get a chance to explore the limits on a road course.

·
Registered
72 Posts
CVP33 - Thank You for that video. I bookmarked it on my desktop PC so I can get a quick fix for my speed needs.
I wonder how far can you go on a tank of gas at speeds like that. Once I redlined a VW GTI at 132 mph, on a deserted open highway. I remember glancing at the trip computer which showed 6.4 miles per gallon, the instantaneous display.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Here's my "old" one at VIR with its 'war paint' and forged wheels. The Z06 gets pretty thirsty at WOT (wide-open throttle). Each 30 minute session drains a little over 1/3 of a tank or roughly a 5mpg performance.So doing the math:

VIR = 2.1 Miles (17 awesome corners btw)
17 Gallon tank
5mpg

= just 40 laps or 80 minutes of drive time. I usually top off after every 30 minute session just for insurance. Fuel pump starvation would make for a bad day so best to keep the tank above 3/4.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Once the race is over, on the way home doing seventy feels like rolling in a wheelchair. I remember that from the Autobahns.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Once the race is over, on the way home doing seventy feels like rolling in a wheelchair. I remember that from the Autobahns.
Yup, learned that lesson the hard way 10 years ago. You have no sensation of speed after a weekend of hitting 169mph. Just set the cruise at 5 over the speed limit and don't touch it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts