Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i'm about 3 months in and i love the car. I will turn over 4000 miles tomorrow. I have one complaint though. The steering is way to light for my taste. I was wondering if there is an adjustment that i could make or is this juat something i'm going to have to live with because of the electronic steering. Any tips would be appriciated.

·
22,788 Posts
I wish I had your problem! Mine is a tad "tighter" than I would like. As far as the adjustment question, I'll let the Sonata team answer that one. I am still trying to find out if there is anything that can be done to lighten mine up a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you find out let me know. The way I would describe the steering in mine is turn the wheel and guess because there is no feeling at all.

·
22,788 Posts
That's my wife's complaint with her Tucson. She loves the car. Don't misunderstand me. She just hates the steering. "Too easy," she says. Personally, I love it and wish mine was more like it. It has improved a bit since I upgraded from the low profile 45R's that came on the car and installed 50R's on the wheels. Still not exactly to my liking, but better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you take your Sonata to a Hyundai dealership ask them to change the steering setting to "sport". There is a thread somewhere around here all about it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you take your Sonata to a Hyundai dealership ask them to change the steering setting to "sport". There is a thread somewhere around here all about it.
You can go that route, but I tried to go after the root causes of the for lack of better words "poor road handling/steering". From the first day I felt the steering did not feel like it was responsive enough and was too "sloppy" and tended to "wander". I installed what I considered was the best front strut bar, the 18.3mm sport suspension rear stabilizer bar and the shark racing subframe bushings. There were incremental improvements with each and it wasn't until all three were done was the issue completely resolved to my satisifaction. While I'm no car expert I blame this issue mainly on Hyundai making the steering too sensitive and responsive in relationship to the sloppy basic handling characteristics built into the suspension from a design and manufacturing standpoint. There is just too much "slop" and give in the suspension for the sensitivity level of the electronic steering. Now IMO I have the best of both worlds, a very responsive and well behaved excellent suspension that is a pleasure to drive.

Larry

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yup look at that thread above you can get it changed as long as the dealership is nice

·
Registered
592 Posts
Before spending too much money or getting too upset about the tracking (steering), try this:

• Purchase a decent large round face tire pressure gage in one pound markings, one where you could see the needle around 1/3 psi (judge area between between one pound markings)
  • Spend a little time adjusting tire pressures - generally follow these suggestions

I have owned four Hyundais: two Elantra XL, one Sonata NF and now a Sonata YF Hybrid. Between these four I have logged around 355,000 miles and learned a lot about steering response and tire pressures.

With all four vehicles the factory spec tire pressures yield a car that understeers, most notably above 40 mph.

With all four vehicles, there is a marked improvement in steering / tracking with these simple settings:

1. Set the REAR tires pressure two (2) psi higher than the factory spec
  2. Set the FRONT tires pressure to one and one half (1.5) psi higher than the REAR tire pressure set above
The delta 1.5 psi front-to-back is important for the steering response!

• If less than delta 1.5 psi (front less than 1.5 psi or equal on all four tires) there is a marked understeer - feels unresponsive, straining to turn - noticable at higher speeds more than lower speeds.

• If more than delta 2 psi (higher front) there is more oversteer, over reacts - feels "squirrely" and requires more/constant minor corrections to track straight or make a smooth turn (more so at higher speeds).
Keep the front tires 1.5 psi to 1.75 psi higher than the rear.

Once you experience the change in handling, try adjustnig pressures up (or down) in one half (0.5) pound steps BUT KEEP THE DELTA 1.5 psi FRONT-TO-BACK settings. Find what is best for your particular tire brand/model.

NOTE: setting the front pressure too high, regardless of the delta1.5 psi to the rear tire, will create an oversteer condition (difficult to track straight, always wanders, squirrely handling). I recommend not going more than six (6) psi above the factory spec.

Try this and see if your "difficult turning" or your "wandering" conditions improve.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Yup...and all of these suggestions will yield little, if any improvement.

I wonder what the OP had prior to Hyundai? If it was anything sporty or European, then the handling will not be up to snuff in comparison.

Thinking about trying out GEWB's suggestion on the staggered tire pressures. The Sled is really pulling left as of late and I have not hit any potholes (that I can recall). Since I just got it aligned 3 months ago, not really thinking its out of alignment, just tire pressures are off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took my 2011 turbo se to the dealer today for the steering adjustment. Four adjustments poped up in his computer either: LOW GLS SE HIGH. These are the settings they use and set up from the least power assist to the most power electric assist. The se is set next to the highest up because of the wheels size. I set mine to the low and i think it feels of more control on the interstate. Figured I would share my findings

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yup...and all of these suggestions will yield little, if any improvement.
Setting it to "sport" really does help. It makes it feel more like traditional hydraulic power steering.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Sled is really pulling left as of late and I have not hit any potholes (that I can recall). Since I just got it aligned 3 months ago, not really thinking its out of alignment, just tire pressures are off.
With all the driving I used to do (about 220 miles a day) I learned to feel how the tires behave on the road. Before I learned I would think to myself "How can a NASCAR drive tell when the crew makes a quarter pound air pressure change to ONE tire?" Well, now I know - I'm not quite that good but I can tell when one tire is "off" by one half pound from its mate.

Equal front right-left and equal rear right-left pressures also contribute to straight tracking on the highway (if the alignment is OK). When the Sonata pressures are set properly I can drive on a straight smooth highway for 1/2 mile at 75 mph without touching the steering wheel.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys I have owned 2 Z/28's and a Corvette. Its my wife's car and I just can't get used to the way it drives. But like the misses told me the other day its not my problem unless I want to give her my Vette. Seeing as that won't happen as long as I'm still alive and kicking. I'll just leave it the way it is. Happy wife happy life

·
22,788 Posts
GEWB, you saying if I elected to go 37 in the back, the ideal for the front is 35.5? Doesn't matter what the rear pressures are as long as the fronts are 1.5 psi less, yes? Going to try this. Thanks.

·
22,788 Posts
I read GEWB's post as saying fronts should be 1.5 psi HIGHER than rears.
Yes, I read it to mean FRONTS 1-1/2 psi higher than rears, too.
Man, am I ever glad you guys posted this. I had read it incorrectly. I was totally wrapped up in the idea of what he said, that I actually missed "what he said."

Whew, I almost made a faux pas! SERIOUSLY, "Thanks!" You saved my bacon. :thumbsup:

I'm going to try this out today on the way to work. +1.5 Fronts, on the horizon.

·
Registered
592 Posts
GEWB, you saying if I elected to go 37 in the back, the ideal for the front is 35.5? Doesn't matter what the rear pressures are as long as the fronts are 1.5 psi less, yes? Going to try this. Thanks.
Other way around - front tires are 1.5 psi higher than rear.

Regards,
GEWB

1 - 20 of 24 Posts