Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my limited for 1 week now and LOVE it! I can't stop staring at it!! I gave it's first cleaning yesterday and for the first time I hand dried my car. :grin:

[attachment=20157:picture_001.jpg]

[attachment=20159:picture_003.jpg]

[attachment=20158:picture_004.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
The more you drive it the more you will be in love with it.

Get some micro fibre towel to dry and detail your car. They make a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
385 Posts
QUOTE (anthony7 @ Sep 6 2010, 08:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354593
I've had my limited for 1 week now and LOVE it! I can't stop staring at it!! I gave it's first cleaning yesterday and for the first time I hand dried my car. :grin:

[attachment=20157:picture_001.jpg]

[attachment=20159:picture_003.jpg]

[attachment=20158:picture_004.jpg]
LOL I love how you've got the American flag out the front of your house but you drive a Korean car. :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Sep 7 2010, 01:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354770
LOL I love how you've got the American flag out the front of your house but you drive a Korean car. :D
A Korean car built by Americans in Alabama. :whistling:

A lot of American companies have their cars built in Canada, Mexico and Korea.

·
Registered
385 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Sep 7 2010, 03:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354772
A Korean car built by Americans in Alabama. :whistling:

A lot of American companies have their cars built in Canada, Mexico and Korea.
I know that. It's still a Korean car company.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Sep 7 2010, 02:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354773
I know that. It's still a Korean car company.
True, however I would say buying an Alabama built Sonata helps more working-class Americans (and local economies) than buying a Canadian made Chrysler 300, a Canadian made Chevy Impala or a Mexican made Ford Fusion.

That's just my opinion. I do understand your point though. Regardless, it is good to see someone displaying a flag no matter the make of the car they own.

Oh, and congrats on the car Anthony7!

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Sep 7 2010, 03:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354770
I fly an American flag all year round with permanently mounted floodlights so I can fly it 24 hours a day (of course Im sure you already knew you cant fly an American flag in darkness without lights shining on it). I respectfully replace my flags every 3 or so years or when they become tattered due to high winds and when its time to retire the flag, I drop it off at the local Boy Scouts of America Scout Shop for proper destruction. I have various bunting and other red white and blue decorative items I fly on national holidays...

But come to my house and you'll find a Japanese motorcycle, Pontiac Trans Am that was built in Canada, a Sony TV and Onkyo surround sound system that was all built in Japan, several computers (one of which I am typing on right now) that have parts made in Taiwan and all over the Orient. There are very good Chinese and Mexican restaurants within walking distance of my house that I proudly eat at. I drink Russian and Polish Vodka, red wine that was grown in Chile and Australia. Right now I am wearing a brown Tony Hawk shirt I bought at Kohls that has a tag on it that says "Made in Indonesia". I could probably keep going, but the point is, when the time comes for me to buy a car, I will proudly buy a car made by a Korean company.

I love my country and proudly call myself an American. Part of being American is welcoming people from other lands and respecting their cultures. I do support American companies when I can, but in todays day and age it would be impossible to survive without using ANY foreign goods.

With that in mind, I wake up every morning, put in 40 hours of work each week, pay my taxes, and do the best I can to be a good citizen of this great country.

·
Registered
385 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Sep 7 2010, 05:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354778
True, however I would say buying an Alabama built Sonata helps more working-class Americans (and local economies) than buying a Canadian made Chrysler 300, a Canadian made Chevy Impala or a Mexican made Ford Fusion.

That's just my opinion. I do understand your point though. Regardless, it is good to see someone displaying a flag no matter the make of the car they own.

Oh, and congrats on the car Anthony7!
Fair enough. Here in Australia our 300Cs are made in Austria (in Europe). Also, I read that Hyundai get most of their iron ore used to make steel to make their cars from Australia. Something like 2/3rds at least. So my car is made using Australian steel :) I believe the value of the steel used to make the car is $150. lol.

This only applies to the Korean factory. No idea where the US factory get theirs from.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! DaveZ, my car was assembled in the US like most Asian cars sold here. I don't think there really is a "US" car company anymore. Asian car companies have US divisions where cars are built/sold which pays US taxes and workers. The money recycles into our economy. Some of the multi-billion dollar facilities they have here are amazing and employ thousands of workers. I'm proud to have my Sonata parked in my garage. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
385 Posts
QUOTE (anthony7 @ Sep 8 2010, 11:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355167
Thanks guys! DaveZ, my car was assembled in the US like most Asian cars sold here. I don't think there really is a "US" car company anymore. Asian car companies have US divisions where cars are built/sold which pays US taxes and workers. The money recycles into our economy. Some of the multi-billion dollar facilities they have here are amazing and employ thousands of workers. I'm proud to have my Sonata parked in my garage. :thumbsup:
Yeah but the US factories just make the Korean guys richer. It's like saying that having a Nike factory in China is good for them because it employs them. That's true, but they don't see a dime of the profit, and you guys see no profit on any of these cars either. You allow every single car maker to set up shop in your country. Yet Japan and Korea do not allow foreign manufacturers to build plants in their countries. Can you imagine a Ford factory in Japan or a Chevy factory in Korea? They protect their industries.

·
Registered
246 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Sep 9 2010, 01:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355170
Yeah but the US factories just make the Korean guys richer. It's like saying that having a Nike factory in China is good for them because it employs them. That's true, but they don't see a dime of the profit, and you guys see no profit on any of these cars either. You allow every single car maker to set up shop in your country. Yet Japan and Korea do not allow foreign manufacturers to build plants in their countries. Can you imagine a Ford factory in Japan or a Chevy factory in Korea? They protect their industries.
That's not necessarily true. For one thing, the Chevy Cruze, Chevy Beat are both made in Korea. These are GM cars.

Also, in this day and age of multi-national corporations, you don't really believe that the countries that the factories are in don't see a dime of profit? The thousands of workers spend all their money locally, the factories pay taxes, as do the workers, local economies are strengthened because of this, and the list goes on. Besides, the US government doesn't "allow" other makers to setup factories, they actively woo these factories by giving tax breaks and cheap leases precisely because the factories employ so many workers. If foreign makers wanted to build plants in Korea, they could. They just don't because the import car market in Korea is still only under 10% of the total market, but this is changing rapidly as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Also, because the US is such a competitive market, car makers get much less profit from sales in the US compared to selling in other countries. Hyundai cars sold in Korea are generally around 20% more expensive in Korea for similarly equiped models, although this gap is getting smaller, and considering that most Hyundai cars sold in the US are shipped there from Korea, that's a big price gap. That means they're almost gouging local consumers in order to get market share in the US by selling as cheap as possible. I think even most European brands are cheaper in the US than domestically, especially countries like England and Germany, although that's partly due to the high taxes over there.

Would you guys believe that in Korea, a top of the line Equus costs almost 100K?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with boogyman that there isn't much profit from US sales, I know I spent weeks haggling for a great deal well under invoice!

Anyway, as I said before.... these factories cost alot to run (utilities), the few thousand workers are paid pretty good esp in the rural/south areas ($21/hr) which boosts the local economies, lots of taxes are paid by company, lots of new businesses are created/relocated to help run/support the facility such as a new Johnson Controls plant and 35 million parts plant among many others down in Alabama.

Why wouldn't we want foreign companies building/creating jobs here?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts