Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kumho tires on my 2011 3 door are pure junk. 30k miles and they are just about worn out, the left side much worse than the right. Anyone else as disappointed with these cheapo shoe on their baby? At local tire shops these are the cheapest available, and it's easy to see why. My 2003 Accent had Hankooks that lasted 60K.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The gross align numbers as supplied at rear dont help matters any either.. get a quality tire, keep them aired up, rotated, and have somebody do a good toe set on front to help maximize tire life

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
They're just cheap eco tires. It's a cheap eco car. One of the first and most gratifying modifications to a car (i've found) is new wheels/tires.

On the bright side, they chirp when i shift to second.

·
Registered
329 Posts
For a compact car that serves as the lowest new-car price point on the lot, I think the Kumhos do what they need to.

When I bought my 2007 early last year, it had the original tires and factory alloy wheels. I almost immediately replaced them. The car was just shy of 30,000 miles and the tires "mostly" worn, but I was actually still able to get a few bucks for the old rubber.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yep 30k was about all i got out of my original tires too. they are not great in rain or snow once they start getting worn. 3 of them had slipped or damaged belts when i replaced them, and they just did that on their own i didn't hit anything that would have damaged the tire.

buy something else. I have almost 45k on a set of hankooks now and I will past 50k miles on them fairly easy, and they have much much better grip in all weather conditions. I rotate the tires every other oil change. A++++ tire would buy again.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I personally don't care for Kumho or Hankook tires. Working for a tire shop you see a lot of them come in and out and you can really tell how they hold up versus other brands. Kumhos seem like they are very susceptible to cupping. Hankooks are better in comparison, but they seem very basic and don't do anything for me. (Not just because they're basic.)

The brands I respect are Dunlop, Nitto, (some)Falken, Yokohama, and I would say that Michelins are in a league of their own.

I personally run Nitto NT01s on my track car, and I hooked my friend up with some Dunlop Direzza DZ101s-- basic, cheap and not astounding on the track, but a good summer tire. I put some Falken SN-828 on my daily driver I recently sold and they did awesome in the winter and did well in the summer.

Goodyears are garbage (for the most part). This is from subjective observation, mind you. Never has there been so many defective tires than those from Goodyear. (Again, from my experience.) Many of the 'bad' tire companies actually have very praiseworthy high-performance tires, but their road tires tend to suffer. Goodyear Eagle GTs are not bad, but seem susceptible to cupping. Pirrelli PZero Neros aren't awful either.

My Hyundai Accent has some TigerPaw's on it. They must be a dealership thing, because my ex's Mazda3 has them as well. They're very basic and bland with no outstanding qualities. They'll likely be replaced by some winter tires soon and then in the spring those will be swapped out with a wheel/tire package i'll put on for the summer. Probably some Falken Ziex RT-615Ks on some little 15x7 or 15x6.5 wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
When I bought my '07 last year I wasn't driving much because the '91 Probe I was driving blew up if you looked at it funny. I dropped the cheapest, Sumic GT65, 185/65/14's I could find figuring I'd keep up the same driving habits. But, for me at least, I'm driving a lot more and these tires are... meh. Loud, humming, not the greatest grip. Really regret getting the 'el cheapos. Love to replace them with some 16" rims and decent rubber, heck, some decent 14" tires on the stock steelies would be nice. Just wish I could afford them...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Think my gf's '08 has Firestones now. My beef is the odd size seems to make it hard to find used tires on Craigslist or the junkyard. Would love to find her some winter rubber to swap out with later this year but the uncommon specs make it so you really have to order and buy new.

Anyone have luck with slightly different sizes? The trouble usually then becomes affecting the speedometer/odometer unless there's a method to recalibrate the speedo (generally not on OEM units)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts