Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I've searched all over the internet and have come up with nothing on the issue i'm having.

First off; the car. I have a 2011 Elantra with 104k, automatic transmission.

The last several months I have noticed a whining noise that only occurs when I press on the gas pedal while driving. As soon as I let off the gas the whine disappears. The whine is not heard while revving the engine in park. It is also not heard while it is in neutral. The whine is loudest when starting from a stop or when driving up an incline.
The best way i can describe the whine is that it sounds identical to the normal whine you hear when you drive in reverse. I can still hear the whine until I get to around 40mph...i am not sure if the whine stops then or if road noise drowns it out. I cannot replicate the noise when the car is stationary.

I've noticed that my gas mileage has taken a dip as of late. I usually would get (according to the car) around 24mpg. Lately its anywhere from 21.5 - 21.8mpg.

I did a drain and refill of the transmission fluid. The fluid was very very dark brown (looked like old used motor oil) and definitely looks like it has been in there for 100k miles. It didn't smell burnt to me, but I have not smelled burnt tranny fluid before. There was normal shavings/metallic sludge clinging to the drain bolt.

I also replaced all four wheel's brake pads a few weeks ago, since the right rear was running on straight metal. The other three pad sets all had good life left, I am not sure why that one wheel's pads were so low.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing that darn whine?

·
Registered
317 Posts
These cars have a tendency for the rear brakes to drag due to the caliper slide pins. Just did mine for the same reason and I believe there other posts in here related to the same.
We had a mid '70s Chevy wagon with auto trans. issues that finally needed replacing. It whined for a long time. My dad said it was the Pikes Peak climb that did it in. So when I hear that same type of whine on older vehicles I always associate it with the automatic transmissions. I hope that is not 'your' type of whine.
Speaking of whine, I thinks it time :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
A couple of previous posts to check out:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/veracruz-forum/135639-transmission-whine.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-20...2008-santa-fe-limited-transmission-whine.html

I know they're not for your car but semi-fit your symptoms; have you looked through the rest of the posts?

Do you hear the whine continuously and evenly through all the gears while accelerating?

I would put the car on ramps and try to locate exactly where the whine is coming from, listening as closely as you can for the source. An idler pulley or alternator could cause a while especially under load (kind of like belt squeal is the worst when putting load on the engine, steering pump, alternator... etc).

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2016 Elantra SE with the 1.8 L engine, whines as well, when it goes into 2nd or higher gears. Sounds like a truck going up a hill. May be a transmission issue or broken motor mount. It's something I have to look into. The car has 25K miles and I also noticed today that the break peddel seems low. I'll check the pads this week end.

·
Registered
882 Posts
2018 sonata also whine a lot when accelerating. Check engine and trans oil first, make sure they are fresh and on high level. Use full synthetic oil they can do better lubrication at high speed. There maybe worn out gears in the transmission

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar situation with my 2011 Sonata - whine that was RPM related and most noticeable going up hills. I traced it to the "front" of the engine - alternator, water pump, cam, pulleys, serpentine belt - but could not isolate it. I was thinking that I needed a stethoscope or something. I stopped by my ace mechanic and he agreed with my isolation and thoughts on a stethoscope, but then grinned and got an extra large/long screwdriver. With the engine idling, he carefully touched the blade tip to each part and put his ear to the handle end. A wide grin on one of the pulleys and he had me give it a go. Sure enough, touching it to most things sounded like a low hum. On one pulley it was a screaming "Eeeeee". Changed it out and replaced the belt (as it was time) and problem solved. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts