Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have been having this loud noise every time I release the brake or drive slowly. The noise is coming from the passenger side of my Hyundai Sonata 2004. It all started when i changed my rotors a couple months ago. My mechanic told me to get a new caliper kit, so i did and replaced the rubbers but the problem exist. I switched the rotors around but the problem is still there, and seems louder. The sound also starts whenever i make a right turn. Its becoming frustrating. Everyone looks whenever i drive by as the noise attracts so much attention. :(. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
First of all: front or rear ? (I wish posters would describe their problem and work that was performed in more detail right away to reduce the amount of crystal ball reading needed in this forum ...)

Have you changed pad as well ? I recently had the case of non-fitting aftermarket pads that were touching the drum hat of the rear disc and made a horrible scratching sound. I missed that during installation since I could not imagine such thing could ever happen. Reason was that the pads' carrier plate 'ears' (where the pad sits in the caliper) were shifted. As a quick fix I just ground some off the plate to clear the disc hat until new pads would have arrived and installed.

Other thing - if noise coming from rear: Did you correctly adjust the parking brake shoes clearance ?

Did you purchase rotors and pads as a kit or separately ? Did you use some anti-squeak compound ? Did you install the anti-squeak shims ?
Sometimes materials don't 'like' each other and the only solution is to replace one of the two friction partners.

See the picture. From left to right: Genuine HMC pad, bad aftermarket pad with shifted 'ears', well fitting aftermarket pad (Autego)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I forgot to put the word "front" in my post. Also. e3tom, I never changed the pads and will give your suggestion a try. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts