Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early this week my car started making a loud knocking/rubbing sound (Kind of in between when your brakes are ground down to the rotor and a knocking pattern).

FIRST, it started only when I turned slightly left or left.... NOW, it's doing it as I go straight and when I turn to the right as well... oddly enough it's not as bad when going left anymore...

Does anyone know what this could be?? And if it's an easy DIY fix..... (maybe a link on how ) and how much the part(s) might be??

Thank you very much!! Ive taken video (for sound as I drive)...but not sure if I can upload it (size limit)

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Cant help, not there to hear it live in person during test drive..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  1. Here are a couple videos of me driving. Notice the noise change when turning wheel slight right or left.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
(3) recent very real items I have seen come to mind...

1 - loose wheel on hub (loose wheel nuts)

2 - loose axle nut

3 - worn outer tie rod end (ball-socket lash)

------------------------------

Get tire off ground, grab tire and see if it wobble on spindle or knock back forth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I will try that today if I have time to go to the store and buy a jack (I cant believe they dont come with one lol).

Hopefully, whatever it is I can do myself since I dont have much $$ .

Im guessing I grab it at 3 o'**** and 9? or is it 12 and 6?

Also, would these things be covered under warranty by the dealership? it's got 39,000+ miles on it. But Im guessing if I had hit a pothole and blew out a tire 3 years ago when I first got it....they may suspect it was that and not cover it under warranty? Do I just call them to make an appointment? And would they charge me just to look at it if they tell me it's not covered under warranty because I hit a pothole and I tell them I will take it elsewhere (or do it myself)? or can i just take it to ANY mechanic and they will cover the warranty? (Sorry for the dumb questions....this is my first vehicle I purchased new with warranty)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
****...i was really hoping the lugnuts were just loose.....but I jacked the car up and they seemed tight.

ON THE OTHER HAND......I shook the tire at 9 and 3 as well as 12 and 6.....and there was a good amount of play in each direction . No noise....but there was play.

I also spun the wheel around while in nuetral but did not hear any noise

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
****...i was really hoping the lugnuts were just loose.....but I jacked the car up and they seemed tight.

ON THE OTHER HAND......I shook the tire at 9 and 3 as well as 12 and 6.....and there was a good amount of play in each direction . No noise....but there was play.

I also spun the wheel around while in nuetral but did not hear any noise
Hmmmm....9&3 is tie rods, 12&6 is ball joints, BOTH? Have a look at the control arm bushings. Although your ball joints might also be at the point of just falling apart...:eek:

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Axle nut is loose ..... Bearing not snug up to balls and races proper, hence the overall wobble... seen a few here the last 6 month or so.

Tighten it up and drive again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hub/bearing issue

I'm having the same issue with my wife's 2012 elantra. i assumed the "odd noise" as she put it, was in indication the front brakes pads needed replaces. pulled wheel off & while brakes are due, the hub assembly wobbles. with 107k miles, will just a tightening of the nut resolve the issue, or is this an indication or a new bearing or hub assembly needing to be replaced? Help!?!?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do I tighten the axle nut? Do you by some chance have a link on how to fix that? I cannot seem to find any?

Is it safe to drive for a little bit longer? thanks

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
how do I tighten the axle nut? Do you by some chance have a link on how to fix that? I cannot seem to find any?

Is it safe to drive for a little bit longer? thanks
You already know you have a wheel with major wobble,, "drive a little bit longer" may be what go ahead and trash bearing, or nut fall off end of axle stub and allow wheel with 1/2 of bearing to come off and wreck car, or worse yet, cause you to create some kind of accident scene you dont really need..

Get it to somebody and have the axle nut secured and peened,, see if it drive quiet, or roar due to damage bearing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts