Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 sonata v6. My car has been parked for a week due to cold weather and snow. Until now it has run fine. I couldn't get it to start on the days we had subzero temps(it's parked outside). I charged it until the battery was 100%
It would turn over but still wouldn't start. I tried again the next day and it started but has a horrible noise and shakes like crazy. My car never did this before the cold weather. I would like to get it going this weekend. Any ideas?

Here is a list of parts that have recently been changed:
Timing belt(1 yr ago)
Oil(1 week)
Spark plugs and wires(6 months)
Transmission fluid(6months)
Fuel filter(6 months)
Coil pack(6months)

·
22,793 Posts
Water in the gas from condensation? I haven't got a clue.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Do you see any leaks under car? Do you know if you have the proper antifreeze in it? Did somebody add water at any time in the expansion tank?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
'horrible noise' and 'shakes like crazy' is probably a bad misfire...would explain the trouble starting as well. any chance you can get a code scanner on it to confirm? the MIL will not stay on for that sometimes...

rich may be right with the gas....it does happen sometimes. try putting some gas line antifreeze into the tank and let it sit for a couple hours. couldn't hurt.

the antifreeze isn't going to affect this besides breaking the water pump or the belt driving it if its frozen solid. fat chance at that. coolant system doesn't do much for starting up.

i would also do the usual checks of plugs, wires and coils regardless of how old they are.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Be interested if the fuel pressure diaphram leaked into #6, and made for rough cold started.. did it clear up after you work the throttle to clear it out ??

Leave it run to get good 'n hot... then pull tube off #6 runner there just above the regulator,, then shut off engine.. watch it and see if liquid fuel come out end of tube.. I usually set the small tube over top of the PCV hose so it makes a wet spot on the dry PCV hose to see if it leaked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. My car was able to start after the temps warmed up. It would run but sounded like it was misfiring. Put it on a scanner and it says crank position sensor. Do you know where on the motor this is located?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My car was able to start after the temps warmed up. It would run but sounded like it was misfiring. Put it on a scanner and it says crank position sensor. Do you know where on the motor this is located?
It is located right above your starter. You will have to remove the starter shield by rotating 90 degrees and pulling out towards the driver side. If you have removed the underside pan, you can sight from the oil filter back towards the center of the engine to see it. It is very hard to get to, but doable. Get lots of light on it. Use a 1/4 inch drive 10MM socket to remove the single bolt that holds in the CPS. You have to use a 1/4 inch drive because the bolt is very close to the sensor and is hard to put a socket on it if you use a 3/8 inch drive. Several people have reported that the sensor can break off as they tried to remove it. I didn't have any trouble. Some people remove the starter to make it easier to remove.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys but some how it jumped time the rear cam is off by 5 teeth marks how bad do you think it is in there ?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks for the replys but some how it jumped time the rear cam is off by 5 teeth marks how bad do you think it is in there ?
One way to find out. Time it up and fire it up! Hopefully your horrible noise wasn't valves smacking. When you had the T belt replaced, did you replace the tensioner?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts