Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I traded in my 2008 2.4 l accord. the motor was loud. kinda like ticking but never gave me a problem.The sonata to me sounds the same maybe just the sound of a 4 banger. And little louder when start up on cold days any one have same sound. thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Probably just the sound of gasoline direct injection doing its job. It is loudest at start-up, especially when cold. It is common on this type of motor, and is one of the reasons there is lots of sound deadening material around the front of the car. If you want the full experience have someone else start the car on a cold day with you standing in front of it with the hood up. It's pretty loud, but normal, and it does quiet down. The things we do for horsepower and good gas mileage...

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (0neslowsonata @ Nov 7 2010, 10:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369677
Hey guys I traded in my 2008 2.4 l accord. the motor was loud. kinda like ticking but never gave me a problem.The sonata to me sounds the same maybe just the sound of a 4 banger. And little louder when start up on cold days any one have same sound. thanks guys.
At first, I was going to jump the gun and give you a reason that the 11.3 GDI compression ratio was the reason for the high cold engine tap-tap noise. Then I found out your 2008 Accord has a compression ratio of 10.50, not low compression by my book. I know it should not be a concern because my 2007 Corolla has the tapping noises from day one and now has 110,000 miles on it, no problem, knock on wood. I test drove a Genesis, and is much quieter (lower compression though).

Yes, I'd think the engine tap-tap noise on the Sonatas can be tamed a bit. The other 2011 brand cars are catching up to the higher compression (10.5 or so), not quite to the 11.3 yet, as I know. Their engines, in general is a bit quieter. But I am not concern, with 100,000 miles warranty.

Interestingly, the 2.0T Sonata has a natural 9.5 compression ratio, and is quieter warming up.
:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts