Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to wake up my neighbors when i get home at night but the horn when I'm arming my rented 2020 Elantra is very loud. it's very different from the small chirp I got with my 2014 Sonata.

I can turn off the horn acknowledgement completely but I want something to know I've armed the vehicle. Is there a middle ground or is it loud horn or nothing?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you change the settings?
lol I'm not very familiar with this model but I was able to go into Settings on the dashboard and "Door" and unselect "horn acknowledgement" or something like that.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Old fashion way is to walk around the vehicle, pull on all the door handles and check that all the lights are off and all the windows are closed. I even do this when away from home, you have no idea your automatic door locks are all working and very possible one is not.

If you pull on a door handle, may learn that door is not even locked.

Ha, something else to check does the door locks work with a wide open window?

The answer is yes, can lock your doors with just one or all four windows down, Done take anything for granted.

Another option I had on another vehicle, headlamps would stay on for 20 seconds after they were switched off and all the doors locked. Would stand outside like an idiot waiting for the headlamps to switch off so I wouldn't wake up to a dead battery.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The horn on my 2012 Santa Fe is loud arming the security system. I think that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old fashion way is to walk around the vehicle, pull on all the door handles and check that all the lights are off and all the windows are closed. I even do this when away from home, you have no idea your automatic door locks are all working and very possible one is not.

If you pull on a door handle, may learn that door is not even locked.

Ha, something else to check does the door locks work with a wide open window?

The answer is yes, can lock your doors with just one or all four windows down, Done take anything for granted.

Another option I had on another vehicle, headlamps would stay on for 20 seconds after they were switched off and all the doors locked. Would stand outside like an idiot waiting for the headlamps to switch off so I wouldn't wake up to a dead battery.
I'm pretty sure they're locked and the car is armed, it's just that I'd like some acknowledgement without a loud horn blaring.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're locked and the car is armed, it's just that I'd like some acknowledgement without a loud horn blaring.
More like you are assuming all four windows are up and four doors are locked even with the horn on or off.

We do have the option of turning that horn off and with these automatic door locks with a little commutator reversible motor door locking motor, little spec of dirt on a point contact relay or on the commutator, won't work at all.

That thin piece of weather strip at the base of each outside window is suppose to keep corrosive acid rain or road salt out, if not, all this stuff inside the doors gets corroded.

Nothing like driving in a major thunderstorm when a power window won't go up. Another problem is a worn weak car battery, leaves us helpless.

Never had problems with 30's to 60's vehicles, no wires period to the doors, now a ton of wires for each door, and constantly opening and closing these doors can break a wire. If this happens we are dead meat.

Marketing calls these convenience items. but certainly not when they don't work. Never ever had problems with a manual window or door lock.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More like you are assuming all four windows are up and four doors are locked even with the horn on or off.

We do have the option of turning that horn off and with these automatic door locks with a little commutator reversible motor door locking motor, little spec of dirt on a point contact relay or on the commutator, won't work at all.

That thin piece of weather strip at the base of each outside window is suppose to keep corrosive acid rain or road salt out, if not, all this stuff inside the doors gets corroded.

Nothing like driving in a major thunderstorm when a power window won't go up. Another problem is a worn weak car battery, leaves us helpless.

Never had problems with 30's to 60's vehicles, no wires period to the doors, now a ton of wires for each door, and constantly opening and closing these doors can break a wire. If this happens we are dead meat.

Marketing calls these convenience items. but certainly not when they don't work. Never ever had problems with a manual window or door lock.
I'm not assuming anything. All I did was turn off the horn acknowledgement. I didn't mess with the doors or the windows.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I'm not assuming anything. All I did was turn off the horn acknowledgement. I didn't mess with the doors or the windows.
Wouldn't use the word mess, just checking that all the window are closed, visual, and pulling on each door handle to make sure that does not open the door.

·
Registered
816 Posts
doesn't it blink the lights when you lock the car and arm the system?

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
192 Posts
Yes it does. Some light chirp would be nice though because from the angle I usually lock the car I can't see the lights.
Mines chirp. I just wish it used the actual horns instead of the puny one that also chirps. Can't imagine my car getting stolen or something cause I can't hear that puny thing. I might get an aftermarket alarm system with GPS tracking, etc. Installed during tax season. Or probably wire it up to my train horn system.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mines chirp. I just wish it used the actual horns instead of the puny one that also chirps. Can't imagine my car getting stolen or something cause I can't hear that puny thing. I might get an aftermarket alarm system with GPS tracking, etc. Installed during tax season. Or probably wire it up to my train horn system.
lol I'll trade ya.

Kidding, Enterprise would kill me XD

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
In the Limited, all this stuff can be programmed, dome lights, racket when hitting the remote, headlights on for 20 seconds. On ours have all those switched of, but no choice with automatic door locks, well two, when the engine starts or when going 3 miles per hour.

Selected 3 mph, because I don't want the door locked when I back it out of the garage.

There is no confirmation that your doors are really locked or your windows are up, is confirmation that you are trying to lock you car with the remote inside the car, it screams bloody murder if you manually try to lock the car.

In my opinion automatic braking and side alert is making us stupid, my other vehicles don't have this so still have to watch when I am driving, not following two close or day dreaming I am singing on a stage. Turn my head when pulling out and when passing.

Ha, if you don't turn your head during a drivers test, won't pass. And you are also putting your life in the hands of an 89 cent microcontroller with memory in cheap RAM.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll be honest, I like the side alert. If a car's in your blind spot when you want to change lanes, and you don't have a blind spot mirror like my Sonata does, this helps.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Does this mean you figured it out? If not, I’ll provide some pics of menus in my 17 as it probably isn’t too wildly different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts