Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has 63 000 km and engine is making loud knocking noise all the time. Dealer took a quick look and he asked head office in Toronto for advice. Know he wants to run some tests to see which valve is bad. He's hesitating between repairing or replacing the engine. I'm really disappointed of Hyundai quality. I really hope that I get new engine instead of poor repair job.

·
22,793 Posts
Well, you'll get a new "remanufactured" engine, it that's the route the higher-up's decide to go. Or a short block crate engine: block, crank, rods, pistons, rings, seals. All other components will likely come from your old engine.

Or a new head, valve job, whatever. Post what they say.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Happens to all manufactures, the key is how they handle it. Eithe rsolution should give you normal engine longevity. Ask fior extended warranty on the engine as they are replacing it. Son is driving an Altima that had engine replaced before it was even sold the first time due to a recall, now on 126,000 and running fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Happens to all manufactures,
Yes, Google the Audi Pre B8 multitronic gearbox problems... Now there is a proper problem where Audi don't like to replace at their cost...

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
A co-worker had her Honda Accord engine replaced, the car was not old. Yeah it happens to all manufacturer.

·
22,793 Posts
Yeah it happens to all manufacturer.
Amen, brother! If one auto brand was exempt from failure, the world would beat down the doors to buy their product and the other brands would close up shop. Every manufacturer has issues. It's the handling of those issues that impresses me.

It's terrible to think you're going to need a new replacement engine or transmission on your new or nearly new car. But doesn't it feel good knowing the warranty removes your wallet from the equation? "Hit me again, bartender!" :grin:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yeah regardless if they do a head replacement/rebuild or engine replacement your car will be fine just like new under the hood again. Yeah like the others said it happens just the way it goes, I'd assume it was built on a Friday or Monday since Friday they just can't wait for the weekend so not paying attention 100% they're thinking about nice cold beer's soon, and Monday they feel like crap from there weekend of freedom to party, stay up late etc. so they're dragging ass Monday to get back into the groove of things! :) lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I will be getting new engine block. Once the engine will be out maybe I should ask to change as well some other parts like alternator belt? What do you think would be good to replaced?

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
They will only change the engine, if the other parts like the alternator are good they won't change them, in this case your warranty covers only the faulty engine.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
You might be able to cut a deal with the service department to do certain maintenance while the engine is out, but at 63,000 km I can't imagine what that would be. It's way too soon to worry about timing chains or water pumps or even serpentine belts. Even with reduced labour cost you'd probably just be throwing money away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unbelievable! service rep. just informed me that I would have to pay for a new oil and radiator fluid! Are you kidding me! Dude it’s not my fault that the engine need replacement and you have to flush all fluids. Come on, I’ calling Hyundail Canada tomorrow. I cannot believe that warranty doesn’t cover this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, after useless talk with Hyundail Canada service rep. I would have to pay of my pocket for all liquids during engine replacement. F*** unbelievable!
What a CHIP warranty! I’m really disappointed! They will rebuild the engine worth, I don’t know 5000$, and won’t provide liquids, what a joke!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Krzysiek2011, not to defend Hyundai Canada's response - frankly it sucks - but less than 24 hours ago you were asking what optional maintenance could be done while the engine was out. Now you have a chance to have all your fluids changed at zero labour cost... and you're complaining about it?

:confused:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
.... in this case your warranty covers only the faulty engine.
More specifically, the drive-train warranty only applies to those parts being contacted with oil lubrication. When I heard that, I thought it worth mentioning. & you confirm that it doesn't even apply to the lubricants themselves! That's a fine how-do-you-do!
Seems like a lawyer should take such things to court, getting confirmation that warranty work can't be used as an excuse for profit on parts, liquids or any peripheral addendums to the full completion of said warranty work.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Soon it’s going to be 3 weeks of waiting for my car to get repaired. Dealer ordered lower part of the engine and called me to bring the car in for repairs but once he opened the engine he figured that the upper part need to be changed too. In some way, it’s a good news. I’m going to have a whole new engine. The sad thing is that the upper part is back order! I hope he’ll get it soon, because I'm missing my E. The rental car, Dodge Avenger 2013, doesn’t have a good fuel economy. At least Hyundai is paying for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts