Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now our 2010 Elantra has been making a ticking noise, almost sounding like a valve tapping or an exhaust manifold gasket leak. The sound would come and go no matter the outside temperature, engine temperature, and didn't speed up with the engine RPMs, so it's had me perplexed to say the least... Well this afternoon I did an oil change. After I buttoned everything up I slid under the car while it was running as I always do to make sure I didn't miss anything and noticed I could distinctly hear the clicking/tapping sound coming from the back side of the engine up high. I reached my hand up and grabbed the canister purge solenoid valve that's mounted to the bottom side of the intake manifold and sure enough I could feel it solidly clicking with sound that I've been hearing all this time. So BIG relief to know it wasn't something internal in the engine!

So now that I've pinpointed this, is this a common thing on these cars? Has anyone had success just pulling it off and cleaning it out with some carb cleaner or starter fluid to quiet it up? Worse case scenario I can obviously just replace it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with a 2017 elantra limited with a 2.0 engine had since it was new it has 36000 mile on it right now but I have not found a cure for it or heard of any. But it does not seem to cause a problem just the noise. I would like to know cure for it myself since the car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried throwing 2 other low mileage used ones on it that I got from a junk yard. The first was just as loud, the one that's on it now is a little more quiet. The fact that the sound has changed a little while swapping it tells me that I'm on the right track, it's still just annoying to hear lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts