Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I have heard a load bonging noise occasionally that reverberates throughout the cabin. It sounds like a 45 gal drum that has had the pressure or vacuum release and it "bongs" - has anyone had this condition and suggest the cause before I take it into the dealer.

Happens every couple of days - once - the doesn't appear again for a few days.

Help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 20 2010, 05:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334744
Is it like the pressure in your fuel tank causing the thing to expand and contract?
This thought occured to me as well. I assume the fuel system is sealed to avoid vapours, but there must be a vacuum release as the fuel is consumed and perhaps it is sticking. This could cause a sudden release of vacuum cause the tank to flex and cause the sound.

Hopefully there are some techies who could comment on this possibility. Had the car for 2+ years (since new) and have never heard this sound before.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
A few times in the past I've heard a "boing" not to be confused with a "bong" in my 06. Seems to come from the passenger rear when it happens. I feel it's better than a "k-thunk"* so I never really thought anything of it.

*The K-Thunk was a common noise in the 06's with 17" wheels.

I do believe you're fine unless you can replicate it on demand for the dealer. :whistling:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Jun 20 2010, 09:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334802
A few times in the past I've heard a "boing" not to be confused with a "bong" in my 06. Seems to come from the passenger rear when it happens. I feel it's better than a "k-thunk"* so I never really thought anything of it.

*The K-Thunk was a common noise in the 06's with 17" wheels.

I do believe you're fine unless you can replicate it on demand for the dealer. :whistling:
My "boing" seems to come from the right rear as well. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I posted on the forum - it hasn't happened again. Maybe "big silver" has been warned and is behaving again. She's been the perfect travel partner for over 2 years now so I hope the relationship continues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts