Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 2011 Sonata 2.0T started to make what I can best describe as a loud rushing of air noise coming into the air filter when I start the motor when its cold. The sound goes away after maybe 10 seconds but its a new noise that I have never had. Does anyone have any ideas what it is or what can be done to "fix" it?

See attached youtube video (its loud, you might want to turn down your speakers)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
How long have you had the car? Maybe the colder weather is initially causing a higher rpm (and air intake) than you are used to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long have you had the car? Maybe the colder weather is initially causing a higher rpm (and air intake) than you are used to?
I probably should have included that in my original post, But I've owned the car since new. This noise started 2 weeks ago after the car was serviced at a dealership. I guess I should call them up and ask.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Red89GT Your saying it started this new noise after it was serviced at dealer there lies Your clue? i would check the air filter & the rest of the air filter housing for any looseness or obstructions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red89GT Your saying it started this new noise after it was serviced at dealer there lies Your clue? i would check the air filter & the rest of the air filter housing for any looseness or obstructions.
Will do, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same thing occurring on my 2013 2.0T with cold starts. Been looking around and users in the Kia Optima forums say its normal. It doesn't seem to affect the car. Hopefully someone else has some input.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The "high RPM" on a cold start is considered normal as the EPA requires the CATs to get hot as fast as possible so as to not "pollute" the air as much. Really sucks.
Just the thing a cold engine with all the oil drained back down to the oil pan doesn't need!

Anyway, the LAP3USA ECU tune does reduce this some (not enough in my opinion) as an added benefit to all the performance improvements it provides.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My car does the same thing. I just assumed it was normal due to the cold air rushing through intake
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same noise and eventual reduction after a few seconds when it's a cold weather cold start scenario. Dont know if it was a recently development or always present. But, I've been hyper sensitive to any changes ever since my sonata had a sudden overall reduction in fuel economy from 390 to 410 miles per tank compared to the recent 310 to 330. Its been a couple months now and I haven't been able to find any obvious issues, including considering the same noise you noticed.

As some others have pointed out, I think it's a normal cold start noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Strangely, my car has stopped making as much noise on a cold start. It is still present but not nearly as noticeable. I didn't change anything and the weather is getting colder. :unsure:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts