Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put my 40oz water bottle on my seat and didn't realize that the cap wasn't fully sealed. Quite a bit poured out before I realized and it looks like it went through the holes to the bottom. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

I'm most afraid of damage to the heated/ventilated functions.

As your can see from the attached pics, water poured through where the seat cushion and back meet. Second pic shows a bit of the pool on the rear mat.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
don't use the motor functions for a few days. maybe even remove the switch cover and unplug everything until you're certain that everything is all dry.

leave a window or your sunroof open at night so fresh air can get in and quicken the drying, if you can.

take out your floor mats so they can dry too.

keep an eye on your passenger airbag light and make sure that, if someone sits in the seat, the light switches to "on"... if it doesn't, the sensor is probably corroded as well as the connector...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks teezy!

I did move her outside in the sun and pulled the top open to bake. I also removed that mat so, hopefully, no unwanted smells develop.

·
Registered
258 Posts
no problem! if any strange smells do arise, put a box of baking soda in your back seat. the whole box. thatll help to remove and absorb the moisture from the car as will using AC and fresh air (the latter if the humidity is down) and usually with that itll kill any smells too (moisture + "dirty" mats + dirt + sweat + etc = no bueno). i've had to do that once or twice this past winter when my fiancée used my poor floor mats from my Accord to help get out of the snow... tsk tsk tsk. I did let them sit outside in direct sunlight to dry though and that was it but they sat in the trunk for a couple of days............ hahah

·
Registered
786 Posts
The heated seats are going to be fine. A fan for a motor could get damaged if water touched it while it was on. As long as that was off when you spilled water on it, and you've dried it, it will be fine.

Electronics get destroyed by water when a circuit is on as the water causes shorts. As long as power supplies are off and disconnected, there won't be a short. This is why it's best to immediately ensure any electronics are off and thoroughly dried before testing whether or not they work.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,033 Posts
Dont worry about a bottle of water on the seat other than it may be damp to sit on for a day or 2.

The seat heater are just a wire filament directly under the seat cover that heats, a wet cushion will not short it out. If you also have the ventilated unless the Sonata is different than any of the other cars I have owned (Infiniti) that had both heat and ventilated. The ventilated part comes from a vent under or connected to the seat, not any separate fan at each seat.

Get the car out in the sun and open the doors or windows and let it air out and dry, Pull the rear carpet or mat if possible as that is the most likely area of the spill to possibly cause a smell or mold ect, but not likely for a 1 time water spill

·
Registered
406 Posts
The ventilation for the seats does come from a fan mounted to the underside of each seat so not turning that on for several days until everything is good and dry will ensure the motor doesn't get messed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts