Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2012 Santa Fe SE. After I drive the SUV for an extended period of time on the expressway(1-2 hours) and then its sits overnight I get a ton of smoke at startup in the morning. The smoke goes away after about 20 seconds. I don't see any excessive smoke during normal stop and go driving Im not sure if it is oil or fuel burning. Im thinking its oil because the more highway trips I take the more oil I loose. I talked to a Hyundai mechanic and he said it could need a tune up or it could be a dirty intake manifold where fuel is being absorbed into carbon deposits and burning off at startup. I think it could be valve stem seals. I personally have never seen that much smoke because the engine needs a tune up. The SUV runs great other than the smoke. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be or seen this issue with a Hyundai engine?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Hi, I have a 2012 Santa Fe SE. After I drive the SUV for an extended period of time on the expressway(1-2 hours) and then its sits overnight I get a ton of smoke at startup in the morning. The smoke goes away after about 20 seconds. I don't see any excessive smoke during normal stop and go driving Im not sure if it is oil or fuel burning. Im thinking its oil because the more highway trips I take the more oil I loose. I talked to a Hyundai mechanic and he said it could need a tune up or it could be a dirty intake manifold where fuel is being absorbed into carbon deposits and burning off at startup. I think it could be valve stem seals. I personally have never seen that much smoke because the engine needs a tune up. The SUV runs great other than the smoke. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be or seen this issue with a Hyundai engine?

I can't tell from your picture if it's bluish or whitish. A bluer tint would be oil, a whiter colour would be water (coolant).

Since it only does it for 20 seconds, somethingis pooling on top of the cylinders when the cars sits, and then burns off with the engine running. Since you say oil consumption is up, my guess is oil is blowing by something, like the PCV valve or valve stems.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
What does it smell like? If it's a sickly sweet smell, that's coolant.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
A side effect of extended OCI. Only you can confirm what you can confirm what oil & filter you were using and how long you ran with it.

Vague vehicle spec's, no engine or power train info

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. The engine is the 3.5L V6 with front wheel drive and auto trans. I use the required W5-20 conventional oil. I dont believe its coolant burning because I know that coolant smell well and Ive never had to add any coolant to the system. I just dont see that blue tinge to the smoke that would definitely confirm it to be oil. Like I said before, one of the Hyundai mechanics I talked to stated that the smoke could be caused by a dirty intake manifold. Has anyone seen that amount of smoke from a dirty intake?

·
Registered
403 Posts
One test you can do is WHEN COLD, start the car and take off the radiator cap for a few seconds. If you see lots of gas coming up, your head gasket is toast. Another method is buying a head gasket leak detector kit (such as this one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-17954/combustion-leak-detector/75500/4414186) in case it's not enough to cause any visual effects. Make sure cap is closed tightly and correctly after performing this test.

Yet another one is looking at your dipstick and/or oil filler cap. If you see some frothy/milky substance, could be coolant being whipped up. That symptom alone though could also be a PCV valve that's stuck shut (as mentioned above).

When the vehicle is cold, take out the plugs and see if you can see your plugs shiny with oil. Also, look down the bore to see if you can spot any oil or coolant spots on your pistons (at least a couple of them should be near Top Dead Center).

Definitely sounds like something is seeping into the combustion chamber from having sat overnight. Now to determine exactly what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts