Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "Previous Destinations" got wiped out in my factory nav. Addresses save in my address book are still there. I can't imagine what I might have done to clear these, and I didn't get any warning. Any clues?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
My "Previous Destinations" got wiped out in my factory nav. Addresses save in my address book are still there. I can't imagine what I might have done to clear these, and I didn't get any warning. Any clues?
Too cold...they probably went south :)

No idea why you would lose the destinations

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just a few guesses here...

Maybe your dealer updated your nav software at a recent service appointment for free without telling you?
(If so, I wish my dealer would do this for me!)

Was your battery disconnected for a while recently?
(Doubt this would have any affect, but who knows.)

Other than that, I got nothing. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Have you actually completed a destination using the Nav, or just entered one for future use? I've only used one since getting the car, about a year ago, and it's still listed. Maybe this could explain it.

Geoff

·
Registered
52 Posts
For what it's worth, I found out that our nav units have a function that clears previous destinations.

Here are the steps..

Push the Setup/Info button on the right side of the nav unit
Select Setup from the onscreen menu
Select My Places
Select Delete Previous Destinations

You'll then have the option to either Delete All or just delete individual places.

So, back to your problem. Since you say your system hasn't been updated recently, I'd say that leaves two possible reasons why your previous destinations have been deleted...

A. your nav unit just had some sort of glitch or malfunction, or
B. somebody has intentionally gone in and deleted the previous destinations for some reason

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing A at this point. My wife and I are the only ones using the vehicle, and neither of us went through those steps. A bit of a nuisance but not tragic. Hope it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I was told to never store your own address in your NAV because if your car get stolen they will know where you live.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or the thieves could just look at the proof of insurance card, which has our name and address on it, that our state mandates we carry in the vehicle.

This is a bit off topic, but it is an example of what I personally consider a reasonable risk. There's no data for the 2013 Elantra GT yet, but for a 2010 Elantra the theft rate is .13%. This does not take into account the fact that I don't live in a big city, keep the car parked in a locked garage, can disable the car via Bluelink, etc., so the actual risk is probably much less. And, how many stolen cars have thieves gotten and actually used the owner's address? Most probably want to stay clear.

The risk is small enough that I'm not about to inconvenience myself to not store my address in my nav. BTW, even if I don't store it, the nav "remembers" it unless I clear it out (or something goofy happens as in my case). Many navs also "remember" where the car has been, that is they leave a "bread crumb" trail behind them. I'm not about to clear my nav's memory every time I use it because the car might get stolen and my address might get used. If others don't want to take the risk, fine with me, erase away.

If a thief did steal my car, I would welcome their showing up on my doorstep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts