Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I potentially lost one of the two supplied key fobs. I was searching for a solution but couldn't come up with a clear one. Option 1 is to go to dealer for new key fobs but those are very expensive. Option 2 is buy something like this (USED 2011 FACTORY HYUNDAI SONATA REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY FOB TRANSMITTER | eBay) and then program it myself (without having to disassemble the car), but I couldn't find any information about programming it. Thanks.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You should go to the dealer, they will disable the one you lost and set up a new one. Right now if someone found the lost one they have your car! I think you will need the tag that was on the fob when you got it - my dealer told me to save that tag in a safe place.

·
Registered
486 Posts
ASK the dealer about Re-programming an eBay FOB and any Uh-Oh's involved.

Since Only 2 keys can be registered to a car you'll no doubt have to involve the dealer in Re-Programming 1-new/1-old key to a unique code. His years of study & apprenticeship to know how to Re-Program keys would cost $80 Labor with our Linc LS + Key Cost -

Good luck!

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Is it a RKE (key start) or Smart key (push button start) you lost ?

Tag on Smart key dont have any value.. Buy another Smart Key and provide both function key to dealer for program to car.

RKE, need both to program at same time

Cannot program 1 remote today, and other next week,,, they need to be done at same time

·
Registered
486 Posts
QUOTE: [Tag on Smart key dont have any value.....]

Just remembered that when I called to see if JUST a Physical Key could be Cut & hidden in case I locked the Smart key in the trunk WITH Security Arm in LOCK position I was told it's about $100 to get the physical key -- which has to be Laser Cut (no teeth on outside of key)...................

Wouldn't the Original Key Code (on Tag) be used to do the Laser Cut ??
If NO, how does the Laser Cut match the door & trunk locks?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to look for the tag later. It's not the Smart key, it's just the normal locking fob. I kept the car key separate from the fob. Luckily I was still able to get into the car with just the key and the alarm did not go off and there was no engine kill mechanism and could drive home (haha!). Though I think popping the trunk with the key will trigger the alarm. So I'm using the spare fob, and maintenance this weekend, will ask them about replacement. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I potentially lost one of the two supplied key fobs. I was searching for a solution but couldn't come up with a clear one. Option 1 is to go to dealer for new key fobs but those are very expensive. Option 2 is buy something like this (USED 2011 FACTORY HYUNDAI SONATA REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY FOB TRANSMITTER | eBay) and then program it myself (without having to disassemble the car), but I couldn't find any information about programming it. Thanks.

hi there.. maybe this one can help you out? HYUNDAI Remote Fob Programming: | Replace Lost Car Keys
i was just browsing online to help out a friend that has to programme his fob too. so maybe this can help you too? :) cheers! let me know!

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
go to your dealer they should charge a "programming fee"
mine was $60 canadian
and any other computer changes you want will be included
good time if you want to change a steering setting

·
Registered
1 Posts
I harbor no animosity for the dealership they did everything they could, the situation was out of their hands. They have incredible service, but it isn't a Toyota dealership. The general manager is a close friend and a swap of cars for something he had got the car to me at a very reasonable price.Then manager arrange Locksmith Service Coral Springs and they made me new keys and i feel comfortable.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I harbor no animosity for the dealership they did everything they could, the situation was out of their hands. They have incredible service, but it isn't a Toyota dealership. The general manager is a close friend and a swap of cars for something he had got the car to me at a very reasonable price.Then manager arrange Locksmith Service Coral Springs and they made me new keys and i feel comfortable.

This i don`t think relates to the subject of a lost KEY FOB.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am looking on instructions to program the basic key fob for my 2014 Elantra that I bought this weekend. It only came with one key and fob and the dealer advised that I could cheaply have a spare key made at Walmart and to buy the Fob online (Ebay). However I cannot seem to find instructions on how to program it.
The link that was posted on this thread in 2012 is no longer there.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
dealer or professional locksmith for the programming
does the fob and the key.(if chipped)
one fee per programming visit at my dealer

·
Registered
277 Posts
Saw this bumped and figured I'd ask here, anyone had any luck with the dealer reprogramming a push to start key fob under warranty? I don't have the physical key but I have a fob it just needs reprogramming

·
Registered
858 Posts
If it's the original key fob then force the dealer to take care of it under warranty.

I bought my 2012 with 2 key fobs, though sadly only one was actually for the car. The dealer said they would take care of it for me and then when I returned they told me that since it was a used car (CPO) that they couldn't give me anything. I talked to the service department and they said if I can bring in a good keyfob they would cut and program the replacement keyfob for $50 (to pay the techs).

I haven't touched the replacement since the day I put it back up on the shelf.

Got the keyfob from ebay for $85 and spent $50 on programming.

Just sharing my experience.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
on my 2016 they gave me 2 fobs and a key fob code for making new ones
did you get anything like that when you bought the car?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts