Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time experiencing this today and it freaked me out. I've got about 80K miles on my '06 Sonata and the weather conditions were on the very wet side.

At first I thought I heard a squealching sound which I just credited to either a radio or windshield wiper sound while cruising through some twisty coastal roads. The rain was coming down pretty good and a small amount of standing water of already on the road.

As I continued my drive I began to notice an occassional loss of power steering for a split second through some turns accompanied by that same belt squealching sound. At the same time the batterly light also came on for a split second which indicated to me possible engine failure for a split second. Even though it was for only a split second it really freaked me out to think I could end up crossing the center lane or over into the ditch. I then slowed my pace for the rest of the trip. When I stoped for gas I popped the hood and things appeared to be normal and with plenty of power steering fluid.

Anyone else ever experience this? Anyone have any tips or hints? It couldn't be because of the rain???? or could it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Time to get a new serpentine belt. If it's slipping... and it sounds like it was, steering, alternator, A/C and other things can be affected.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ummmmm...... look at the crank pulley for seperation of center hub to outer pulley.....

The pulley breaks free of the rubber damper material and essentially slows or stalls as load is added to P/S pump when assist is needed... Your steering wheel will feel "bumpy" when turning..

Age old problem with 2006-2007 Sonata with 3.3, and older Hyundai with 2.7 and 3.5 engines..

Here -> http://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8028

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (Hoppa @ Apr 26 2010, 11:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317179
First time experiencing this today and it freaked me out. I've got about 80K miles on my '06 Sonata and the weather conditions were on the very wet side.

At first I thought I heard a squealching sound which I just credited to either a radio or windshield wiper sound while cruising through some twisty coastal roads. The rain was coming down pretty good and a small amount of standing water of already on the road.

As I continued my drive I began to notice an occassional loss of power steering for a split second through some turns accompanied by that same belt squealching sound. At the same time the batterly light also came on for a split second which indicated to me possible engine failure for a split second. Even though it was for only a split second it really freaked me out to think I could end up crossing the center lane or over into the ditch. I then slowed my pace for the rest of the trip. When I stoped for gas I popped the hood and things appeared to be normal and with plenty of power steering fluid.

Anyone else ever experience this? Anyone have any tips or hints? It couldn't be because of the rain???? or could it?
I think the screen in the bottom of the resevior is plugged. See http://www.hmaservice.com/files/331/5002184/08-ST-001pdf.pdf. The TSB says to replace the unit, but I know judicious use of clean solvent and a little air will clean the screen and solve the problem. Since you have to drain the system to pull the tank off, you might as well refill with fresh fluid.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Heres 1 that came through shop earlier this week --

2.7 hub spin inside the pulley -

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any other solutions?

Hello, all. I'm reviving this old thread to find out if anyone else has experienced this problem and found a different solution. I've had this exact same steering problem intermittently for the past couple years.

I printed this forum post and took it to my local mechanic. The mechanic read it and said that sounds like it would be a reasonable fix for this problem. However, when he looked at my car, he found no sign of separation on the pulley and the belt was in good condition too. He ended up not replacing anything. He also said he followed all electrical components that are part of the steering system and didn't find anything that looked like it needed repair.

Before that, I left it at a Hyundai dealer for a week so they could drive it home and attempt to reproduce the problem. They had no luck doing so. They couldn't identify a problem either so their solution was to offer to replace the entire rack and pinion steering system.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd love to get it fixed, but if I can't I'm going to have to dump the car to get something safer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, all. I'm reviving this old thread to find out if anyone else has experienced this problem and found a different solution. I've had this exact same steering problem intermittently for the past couple years.

I printed this forum post and took it to my local mechanic. The mechanic read it and said that sounds like it would be a reasonable fix for this problem. However, when he looked at my car, he found no sign of separation on the pulley and the belt was in good condition too. He ended up not replacing anything. He also said he followed all electrical components that are part of the steering system and didn't find anything that looked like it needed repair.

Before that, I left it at a Hyundai dealer for a week so they could drive it home and attempt to reproduce the problem. They had no luck doing so. They couldn't identify a problem either so their solution was to offer to replace the entire rack and pinion steering system.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd love to get it fixed, but if I can't I'm going to have to dump the car to get something safer.
I had the exact same experience in wet weather in 2011 with respect to loss of steering, very scary and luckily no accident. I have my invoice from 2011 that indicates why I brought the vehicle into the dealership (Summit Hyundai,New Minas, NS) and in addition to the reason for the work order ( loss of steering in wet conditions) the invoice indicates that the mechanic " found crankshaft pulley is separating causing concern". (Quote from the invoice. ) Pulley was replaced and no problem until now, Dec 2015.....back to the garage again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It may be too late, but I had the same issue and replaced the fluid. It didn't help. However I just recently replaced the pump and that solved the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts