Hyundai Forums banner

Losing Patience

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  mcgov51 
#1 ·
I have to say that I am very frustrated at this point. Bought my 2012 Elantra in November '11. Within the first month the clunking in the right rear started so I brought it in to the dealer to have it looked at and mentioned to them that there was a problem with the right rear shock. They said the problem was in fact with the left rear shock which was leaking. They didn't have it in stock so it needed to be ordered. The following week I go back and have it replaced. That same day driving down the road...the right rear is still clunking. Make another appointment to have it looked and sure enough the right rear shock is blown, none in stock and it had to be ordered and then had to return to the dealership to have it replaced; problem solved. No more clunking or rear-end hop at that point but the hopping started again within a month... ordered KYBs...

Clicking sound when backing out of driveway... brought it in and they tightened the hub nuts. Problem started happening again after a few months so brought it in and showed the TSB for the hub spacers/washers. They had to order them so had to go back the following week to have installed which solved that issue.

Issues with the front struts. Brought it in and said i have a clunking from front right, they said*frt left shock was leaking and had to be ordered. Following week had it replaced but it still clunking from the frt right. Scheduled another appt and now they say the steering rack needs to be replaced.... stay tuned.

Just venting...

See less See more
#2 ·
Each item you've mentioned I can recall seeing posted on here, previously. I know it's frustrating, but sounds like your dealer is trying to rectify the issue(s). Here's hoping this is the last trip there and life begins to have some normalcy for you...like oil and filter changes, tire rotations. Simple, enjoyable stuff. Keep us posted!

#6 ·
I need to move into YOUR neighborhood, SaurianFire! LOL Considering the amount of disposable retail dollars in the consumer's hands, good customer service would go a long way to help transfer those dollars out of the consumer's hands and into their cash register tills. Be it a food supermarket, a car dealer (in this case), or anywhere else.

Greet me with a smile, lend me an assist when needed, and thank me for choosing them. That will get me back into their place of business faster than anything else I can think of. I love going to a store where I feel welcomed and leave satisfied. Like Arnold always says in his movies, "I'll be back!" :)

#10 ·
Having one of those days, son. I can't explain it. Maybe my brain is leaking like those struts and shocks. Too much pressure...work, tornado, wife's car mishap...left brain shut down. Humor is my safety valve...albeit poor.

#11 ·
I guess all of what you're going through is not easy, you probably have to deal with lots of phone calls with insurance for the house and now for the Tucson, that's a lot a stress. I wish that your life goes back to normal. You're in my thoughts.

#12 ·
Thanks, buddy. I was laughing when SaurianFire invited me over to help him with mods. LOL I had flashbacks of years gone by when I would go over to a friends to help and wound up doing 90% of the labor...which I actually enjoyed. Usually with adult beverages "at the ready." With a "good time was had by all..."

Couple that with the "customer service" frustrations we all feel from time to time and I had this right-brained idea out of left field that said, "What if I owned a dealership?" How could it be a fun experience for all? in a perfect world? Well, a fella can dream can't be? LOL

Sigh, back to reality! ;)

#14 ·
My 2011 Elantra Ltd started having problems with the disintegration of the steering wheel. That was replaced. Then onto the leaking shock. Then my car "died" at an intersection twice. Oh yes, once before a short block was replaced (Yes, indeed) and then once after it was replaced. They told us something "came loose" in the engine...how re-assuring. Then came the acceleration problems whilst trying to pass (not fun!). Then the second steering wheel also started to disintegrate. (At first they took pics, and then after the hot weather came, the black material from the steering wheel was coming off my hands) So, rather than dealing with the lemon law and all that goes with it, we decided to trade it in since I no longer felt safe in the car. The dealer gave us $500 over trade-in value and bought a 2011 Santa Fe Ltd. Also charged us cost (I hope) on the running boards and 3 free oil changes. They also buffed out some scratches and repaired a slight upholstery problem. Overall, still not real happy that I had to add almost 2 years onto my loan which would have been paid off March 2014. Any way you look at it the dealer won but at least I can feel safe again. Thanks for letting me rant....Phew...I feel better now.

#15 ·
So I picked up my car from the dealership today... and I'm very happy with the outcome! They ended up replacing the steering rack and the frt right strut. The handling is like night and day - what a difference! No rattles or clunking and everything feels tight - the way it should be. The service I received was very good and I believe they went the extra mile for me.

#16 ·
Pat on the back to that dealer! Nicely handled. Problems occur. It's how they are handled that separates the good guys from the rest! Consider yourself blessed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.