Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help my daughter out with a problem that she is having . Purchased this car 04Sonata from someone that said he was a car dealer and he wasnt. found out that he dr's up broken down cars and sells them. She bought the car and her boyfriend was going to give it a oil change and found 2 wires hanging loose under the car. He plugged them back in and when he did that the check engine light came on and now wont go off. he asked someone what the wires were to and they said it reads the computer. What we are trying to find out is..is it possible to unplug these wires to get it inspected and not have the check engine light go on or is there no such thing.as you can tell we dont know anything about cars what so everI called the party that inspected it and he said there is no way that you can unplug something so it doesnt show a check engine light on. is this true?/ please help any info would help

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would first see what the check engine light code says and go from there. Most automotive shops have the tool you need to read that but auto parts stores will have them too. The technician is correct, the vehicle should be in line with the manufacturer's standards when obtaining an inspection sticker. When something is unplugged well..that isn't the way the vehicle was designed to work and depending on the problem and if your state monitors emissions it may not pass. Simply put the check engine light will inform the technician of a problem and then they can diagnose said problem and ultimately repair the vehicle. I hope that helps you, please keep us informed and hopefully we can help solve your problem.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Pictures of what wire is attached to ?? Under car is a whole lot of area..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats odd I did post that info/ Lives in Tonawanda N.Y. and drives a 2004 Sonata. What I am really asking is are there wires underneath car that unplugs computer for the readings and can they be unplugged so that the check engine light cant be detected at time of inspection. I am not sure if this car was taken to a inspection dealer who is a collision shop and has a license to inspect is on the up and up so thats why I asked if that could be done or not to bypass anything. I have to get the code for you but at first they said they did take it and got a reading and it said something about a gas cap so they did that and then they did the reading again and it said something about the fuel or fuel line but not sure. Someone told them that the wires where to the computer that does the readings. I will ask then to get the code once again but again my question was if there was a check engine light on before it was inspected could something be unplugged so it couldnt be detected?

·
Registered
8 Posts
No you cannot unplug wires to turn the check engine light off, the computer will still know and you won't pass inspection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not the check engine light the computer the wires they said were for the computer that reads all the stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts