Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
No, there hasn't been much of a market for passenger diesels in the U.S. And I don't expect there will be. For over road rigs and heavy equipment, sure, but not for family passenger vehicles.

And there is a move on now to convert our diesel truck fleet over to natural gas which we have in abundance of about 200 years supply. And with the BTU content it is about half the price.

I could see dual gasoline and natural gas vehicles but I view diesels as a dead end street in the U.S.
Diesels will be around for a long time. The reason nat gas is cheaper is because there are no road taxes on the fuel - and how long do you think it will be before that changes? Revenue starved governemnts will be all over that as soon as nat gas adoption goes mainstream. The other big issue with nat gas is the relatively short range of the truck. Same packaging size gives you 1/4 the range of diesel. LNG or CNG - same issue.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
No, there hasn't been much of a market for passenger diesels in the U.S. And I don't expect there will be. For over road rigs and heavy equipment, sure, but not for family passenger vehicles.

And there is a move on now to convert our diesel truck fleet over to natural gas which we have in abundance of about 200 years supply. And with the BTU content it is about half the price.

I could see dual gasoline and natural gas vehicles but I view diesels as a dead end street in the U.S.
I understand the resistance to diesels in cars - but downsized turbo-gasoline will happen in big numbers.

My point was that Hyundai has considerable experience of designing/building turbo engines so their turbo-gasoline engines haven't been designed/built by novices.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Would you expect their turbo to be covered under their 10 year/100,000 mile warranty?
John
In the UK we get 5 years/unlimited mileage warranty on Hyundai's with 7 years/100,000 miles on Kia's - yes, the warranty would cover the turbo here on both brands.

Nissan/Renault have had huge problems with warranty claims over blown turbos but Renault have paid up. I don't recall hearing of a blown Hyundai turbo but that won't mean an absolutely zero failure rate.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
In the UK we get 5 years/unlimited mileage warranty on Hyundai's ...
Sorry, I wasn't clear. In the USA Hyundai gives a 5 yr/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty which is transferable if you sell the car to someone else. Hyundai also gives a 10 yr/100,000 mile power train warranty. The power train warranty is not transferable.

I was wondering if the turbo would be covered by the power train warranty.
John

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't clear. In the USA Hyundai gives a 5 yr/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty which is transferable if you sell the car to someone else. Hyundai also gives a 10 yr/100,000 mile power train warranty. The power train warranty is not transferable.

John
I can't answer that as the market I'm in doesn't get a powertrain warranty extension.

·
Registered
249 Posts
John
The turbo is covered on the powertrain for my Kia Optima SX (same engine) I am amazed at the fuel ecomony when cruzing on highway 36 mpg, and plenty of power when needed. Definately faster than the V6:)

61 - 71 of 71 Posts