Hyundai Forums banner

Looks like Hyundai does not provide loaner if you have car troubles...

46K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  tchrart 
#1 ·
So here's my story. I have a 2011 Elantra which has engine trouble, that will take 2-4 weeks to fix. During this time, I have no transportation. My car is under warranty. Hyundai has a strict policy of NOT providing loaner/courtesy cars to your customer for THEIR defects. Rental per week cost $200+, so close to $1000/month. How can Hyundai leave their customer in the cold like that? This is really HORRIBLE customer service. Other manufactures like BMW, Honda and Toyota provides loaner cars when there's a defect in their cars.
This means for every Hyundai customer who bought a car and still under warranty, they have to foot their own bill for a rental. Due to this situation I am in, this will be my last time ever buying a Hyundai due to the poor customer service. I've talked to my friends and co-workers about this and they are appalled with this treatment. This should be publicized to auto news outlet everywhere to raise awareness so people will know what risk they are taking when they purchase a Hyundai.
Yes, I've already contacted Hyundai Canada, and that's exactly what they said.

#4 ·
It's really up to the dealer you buy from for loaners.

My dealership gives me a loaner if I do an oil change but I made sure of that when I bought my car. I won't sit at a dealer for anything personally.

With that being said, my brother drives a vw and he doesn't get a loaner. All they offer is a ride home and a pick up again.

When buying a car you should always ASK about loaners etc. My friend has a Pruis and I remember when he had a re-call on the car, he had to pay for a rental for the week. It really comes down to which dealer you buy from.

Now that being said, I feel terrible that you are going through this. But you can't blame Hyundai for it. It's a dealer problem and that's who you should fault.

Remember dealers lose money on loaners so they will be picky about giving them out.

#7 ·
It's entirely up to the dealership unless it is a condition in your purchase agreement. With so many cars sold each year, it would be highly unlikely that any dealership can afford to provide every single customer within warranty with a loaner vehicle upon repair visits. It would be normal for the dealership to pick and choose to whom they issue their loaners to. People who are leaving their cars spending money? Or people leaving their cars only for warranty claims with no service history? Maybe you can offer to get some maintenance done while receiving repairs and maybe that can change the terms. At least the money is not going just to rental, you're getting something for it. If your home dealer is still not budging maybe you should reconsider giving them your business. Your warranty follows you to any other dealership in Canada.

#8 ·
I've worked for high-end European manufacturers like Audi, Porsche and Land Rover and had friends who worked for Mercedes and BMW and none of those manufacturers provide loaners, either. It's entirely up to the dealership and rides entirely on their dime. Car companies don't provide it so every loaner you see out there is paid for by the dealership supplying them. If your dealer provides s***ty service, they probably won't bother providing loaners. I've been going to my dealer for over ten years now and can usually get a rental for the day just by asking nicely but I know it's not something they do for everyone.

#9 ·
I'm familiar with Ford, but there are three conditions here:

• For general repairs - it is up to the dealer whether or not they provide a loaner - some will, some won't.
  • With Ford - the extended warranty can specify first-day rental coverage, for an extra fee, and I think that part of the coverage applies before the btb warranty expires.
  • To me - it is one thing if the dealer says "This will take 3-4 hours and I don't have a rental to give you." It is different if the dealer says "Your car will take 4-weeks to fix and you will need to spend more than your monthly payment on a rental until it is ready."

#12 · (Edited)
I feel for your plight but what other manufacturer would you choose for your next car?
I don't know of one other manufacturer that has any warranty that would cover your 6 year old car.
Most common warranties are 3 years 36,000 miles while a couple (GM and FCA) extend drive trains to 100K but only for 5 years.
Courtesy cars are just that and generally supplied by high end dealers selling high $$ cars who want the extra edge in the customer service business.
Honestly I'd be thankful to have a warranty that covers you instead of paying for a new engine and a rental car as well.

Reactions: JP4
#17 ·
In the USA, Hyundai warranties are for 100,000 MILES and 10 YEARS. I called Hyundai Canada about that, and asked them WTF? They claimed the difference lies in our climate, which is far harsher upon automobiles in Canada. I asked the dumb broad if she had ever been to Buffalo. Washington State? Montana?

zzmichaelzz

#16 ·
When I was getting my Hyundai Accent repaired the first time, they gave me an 2017 Hyundai Elantra no problem whatsoever. I was able to use it for as long as I wanted, drive it as far as I wanted. I understood why. My repair bill at the time was over $1200. Then, after I picked up my car once the repairs were completed, as I was driving home, I noticed my speedometer and odometer were no longer working. Frustrated, I drove the car back to the dealership. Another $1100 to fix this. They gave me the same Elantra without hesitation. Didn't even have to sign it out again. Just tossed me the keys and told me they will let me know when the repairs are done. I told them I would be needing to do a LOT of driving. They said they don't care. Just use it as if I would use my own car. I have no doubt the amount of money I was spending in repairs on my piece-of-**** garbage Accent had them more than willing to lend me the Elantra.
Shockingly enough, my Accent, however much of a piece-of-**** it is, it sure drove far better than the brand-new Elantra. The Elantra herked and jerked like insane. You could feel the gears change every minute. Annoying as ****. The only thing I liked about the Elantra was the cruise-control. After experiencing this brand-new Elantra, I told Hyundai I would never purchase such a car due to the uncomfortable drive. The transmission and engine in my Accent is far-superior by comparison. The Service Person told me it depends upon how one drives a car. I told him that was the stupidest thing I ever heard.
Bottom line, I have never experience any problems obtaining a loaner from my dealership. Many people suggest this depends upon the individual dealership. I would suggest they are quite correct. It is not the dealership's fault my Accent is an absolute money-pit piece-of-garbage.

zzmichaelzz

#20 ·
Hyundai Canada and Thornhill Hyundai are honouring the recall for your car..
Almost all auto dealers do not provide free loaner cars anymore.
I have a 2020 Elantra and a recall has been issued and my car runs fine but it still has to be checked..
I do not expect my dealer to provide me with a loaner if mine needs to be brought in for the recall service.
If I get a nail in my tire the onus is on me to get it fixed, not the dealer to provide a loaner.
A low oil light flashing is up to me to check my oil level right away and not have a lengthy wait to have the dealer check.
Hyundai Canada and my dealer in Ottawa are providing perfect service for me.
I couldn't ask for more.

#21 ·
Good for you :) but I brought my car to Thornhill service due to very load and weird engine sound! First they said its bc of the low oil and it wasn't even the time for service. We have the first service in 6,000 and the second one in 12,000; and my car is in 15,000 right now. Anyhow after two days they said they have to tear down the engine, take some pictures and send it to Hyundai to identify if its factory issue or last service. Meanwhile I have to pay for uber to go to work and of course its not their problem!

#22 · (Edited)
people will know what risk they are taking when they purchase a Hyundai.
Yes, I've already contacted Hyundai Canada, and that's exactly what they said.
That's horrible service so let me get this strate hyundai has warranty on THERE DEFECTIVE ENGINE that you leave with them to repaire there defective engine at there shop and there saying no rental.?? seriously? how dare they do that i would of said your driving me to work & picking me up from work. so in other words there abandaning there customers that drop off there faulty

vehicles to work it out themselves that's B.S. i never heard of any big manufacturer ever doing this most will work out something for You. listen kido you want to stir up the pot get out to the local media in your area and have them make a story about this you'l see how fast hyundai helps You afterword. obvioslly hyundai canada dont care about there customers at this point. they should be ashamed of themselves.

#27 ·
Worst service ever, i would never want use Hyundai Canada again!, safety recall came in and they basically said I was out of luck , would not give a Loaner/Rental, just said "I'm sure you will be fine" NEVER BUY A HYUNDAI!!! trash vehicles, engines that explode, batteries explode, *** hazards! with terrible customer service

#28 ·
We are in the same place, except our engine replacement recall will take 3-4 MONTHS and they are refusing a loaner vehicle. I've pushed up to Consumer Affairs and plan on going as high as I need to because this is simply unacceptable. I've also been quoting the FAQ from their recall website, stating they "will provide you with a free service loaner vehicle or Hyundai will provide a free rental car for your use while your vehicle is being repaired," so we will see how this goes.

#29 ·
This is the exact position I am in with my 2018 sonata. I’ve literally been blindsided by the treatment from Hyundai during this experience. On Monday 8/15 my car broke down in my driveway and had to be towed to the dealership. It was already giving me trouble and the earliest they could look at it was 9/18 so I setup the appointment on 8/2 and on 8/15 it broke down. They think it’s the starter but refuse to even diagnose it so that I can at least get a rental. The car is still under warranty and my insurance (geico) won’t do anything because they say it’s up to the dealer. Signed one pissed off hyundai owner. 🫤

#30 ·
I just found that out a few days ago and my car is under warranty. I never in my life heard of such a thing. I will be trading mine in for a different for something that gives you peace of mind. I hear of people waiting for months to get parts. One dealership told me and it was a Hyundai dealership. Just look at all the recalls they have

#32 ·
So here's my story. I have a 2011 Elantra which has engine trouble, that will take 2-4 weeks to fix. During this time, I have no transportation. My car is under warranty. Hyundai has a strict policy of NOT providing loaner/courtesy cars to your customer for THEIR defects. Rental per week cost $200+, so close to $1000/month. How can Hyundai leave their customer in the cold like that? This is really HORRIBLE customer service. Other manufactures like BMW, Honda and Toyota provides loaner cars when there's a defect in their cars. This means for every Hyundai customer who bought a car and still under warranty, they have to foot their own bill for a rental. Due to this situation I am in, this will be my last time ever buying a Hyundai due to the poor customer service. I've talked to my friends and co-workers about this and they are appalled with this treatment. This should be publicized to auto news outlet everywhere to raise awareness so people will know what risk they are taking when they purchase a Hyundai. Yes, I've already contacted Hyundai Canada, and that's exactly what they said.
I am in the same boat. My 3 year old Sante Fe has paint bubbling, and then flakes right off in 2 huge spots on the hood, and another new spot starting. The paint has clearly not bonded. They acknowledge they have an issue with the white paint, so under a courtesy only.. they will repaint the hood. They told me it’s a 4 day repair. I live over a half hour away, and have no extra vehicle to drive for the 4 days. They told me that their cars are booked out for months in advance. They book me in for a date, and I told them “ I need a vehicle “. I have NEVER had an issue with Toyota, or GM giving me a vehicle when it’s a repair/warranty issue on their part. I did not receive a phone call, so I did not go for the appointment. I called to rebook this, again expressing I need a vehicle, can we book it when there is a vehicle. They gave me another date, I show up early in the morning, I check in, and the service lady asks me if I need a ride somewhere!!!!! I was so confused, I said I’m to have a vehicle. They did not book a vehicle for me, she had me wait while she goes to talk to someone.. comes back, and asks me to sit in the waiting room while they figure this out. 10 minutes go by, and the girl that booked it comes over to tell me that I was not to get a car. I was not happy, and asked her why did she give me another appointment knowing I needed a vehicle? Things got a bit heated, I used no profanity, I was just dumbfounded she literally booked this, and told me I would have a vehicle for this day. She denied everything, I asked her why would I show up today if I knew I wasn’t getting a vehicle provided that this is not good customer service. I was told to not speak to her that way that it’s not ok. They got the service manager.. he comes over and asks me what the problem is.. he was so rude, argued with me that this was a miscommunication.. have in mind.. they knew We were dealing with my husband with cancer.. , we can not afford To rent a car for 4 days.. I did not even bring this up in the conversation.. I ended up walking out after voicing that I can’t believe this is how You treat people who bought a $55,000 vehicle??? I would have never bought this if I knew this issue.. After calling HYUNDAI Canada customer service.. I was told that Hyundai DOES NOT have to provide their customers with a loaner. I totally agree with You.. WHY IS THIS NOT MADE KNOWN TO THE PUBLIC MORE????? I can’t sell this car how it is… I desperately want to sell it and be done with this terrible company. How can we get this out to the public?

#33 ·
It is not hyundai, no car maker give you a loaner, no obligation, that's it. My friend had a toyota, no loaner, my father had a vw, no loaner, etc. Same thing with all you buy, buy any other other brand and when you had warranty work on it, no loaner. It is up to the dealer if they had some and on your fidelity to this dealer