Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my story. I have a 2011 Elantra which has engine trouble, that will take 2-4 weeks to fix. During this time, I have no transportation. My car is under warranty. Hyundai has a strict policy of NOT providing loaner/courtesy cars to your customer for THEIR defects. Rental per week cost $200+, so close to $1000/month. How can Hyundai leave their customer in the cold like that? This is really HORRIBLE customer service. Other manufactures like BMW, Honda and Toyota provides loaner cars when there's a defect in their cars.
This means for every Hyundai customer who bought a car and still under warranty, they have to foot their own bill for a rental. Due to this situation I am in, this will be my last time ever buying a Hyundai due to the poor customer service. I've talked to my friends and co-workers about this and they are appalled with this treatment. This should be publicized to auto news outlet everywhere to raise awareness so people will know what risk they are taking when they purchase a Hyundai.
Yes, I've already contacted Hyundai Canada, and that's exactly what they said.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It's up to each dealer, at least in the USA. But it is fair to say that Hyundai dealers are not as likely to have loaners as some other makes. But I have seen it done.

And being a repeat customer and buying the higher priced models will no doubt be a factor.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
It's really up to the dealer you buy from for loaners.

My dealership gives me a loaner if I do an oil change but I made sure of that when I bought my car. I won't sit at a dealer for anything personally.

With that being said, my brother drives a vw and he doesn't get a loaner. All they offer is a ride home and a pick up again.

When buying a car you should always ASK about loaners etc. My friend has a Pruis and I remember when he had a re-call on the car, he had to pay for a rental for the week. It really comes down to which dealer you buy from.

Now that being said, I feel terrible that you are going through this. But you can't blame Hyundai for it. It's a dealer problem and that's who you should fault.

Remember dealers lose money on loaners so they will be picky about giving them out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My dealership has loaners and once even got me a rental at N/C. Mind you it was the second time for the same repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's entirely up to the dealership unless it is a condition in your purchase agreement. With so many cars sold each year, it would be highly unlikely that any dealership can afford to provide every single customer within warranty with a loaner vehicle upon repair visits. It would be normal for the dealership to pick and choose to whom they issue their loaners to. People who are leaving their cars spending money? Or people leaving their cars only for warranty claims with no service history? Maybe you can offer to get some maintenance done while receiving repairs and maybe that can change the terms. At least the money is not going just to rental, you're getting something for it. If your home dealer is still not budging maybe you should reconsider giving them your business. Your warranty follows you to any other dealership in Canada.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I've worked for high-end European manufacturers like Audi, Porsche and Land Rover and had friends who worked for Mercedes and BMW and none of those manufacturers provide loaners, either. It's entirely up to the dealership and rides entirely on their dime. Car companies don't provide it so every loaner you see out there is paid for by the dealership supplying them. If your dealer provides s***ty service, they probably won't bother providing loaners. I've been going to my dealer for over ten years now and can usually get a rental for the day just by asking nicely but I know it's not something they do for everyone.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I'm familiar with Ford, but there are three conditions here:

• For general repairs - it is up to the dealer whether or not they provide a loaner - some will, some won't.
  • With Ford - the extended warranty can specify first-day rental coverage, for an extra fee, and I think that part of the coverage applies before the btb warranty expires.
  • To me - it is one thing if the dealer says "This will take 3-4 hours and I don't have a rental to give you." It is different if the dealer says "Your car will take 4-weeks to fix and you will need to spend more than your monthly payment on a rental until it is ready."

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dealership has loaners and once even got me a rental at N/C. Mind you it was the second time for the same repair.
I currently have a issue and now they have to hold on to my car. they are paying the cost of a rental but normally they don't.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I feel for your plight but what other manufacturer would you choose for your next car?
I don't know of one other manufacturer that has any warranty that would cover your 6 year old car.
Most common warranties are 3 years 36,000 miles while a couple (GM and FCA) extend drive trains to 100K but only for 5 years.
Courtesy cars are just that and generally supplied by high end dealers selling high $$ cars who want the extra edge in the customer service business.
Honestly I'd be thankful to have a warranty that covers you instead of paying for a new engine and a rental car as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I currently have a issue and now they have to hold on to my car. they are paying the cost of a rental but normally they don't.
One of my neighbors is the second owner for her 2011 Elantra, the engine seized and was replaced under warranty, she had a loaner for several weeks. It was so long I thought she had traded her car!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
One of my neighbors is the second owner for her 2011 Elantra, the engine seized and was replaced under warranty, she had a loaner for several weeks. It was so long I thought she had traded her car!
A lot of that is just-in-time. You used to be able to get parts for Ford from the dealer (tail-light assembly, for example). Now for anything except wiper blades or oil filters or batteries, they usually have to order it and it will take a couple of days.

Also - for warranty issues, dealers used to just listen over the phone and "That sounds like the XYZ Actuator went bad, let me order one in so I'll have it when you come in." Now they expect you to come in so they can diagnose it and order the part and then come back when it is time to install it.

For a tail-light assembly, it isn't that bad. In the case of an engine, when the car is not driveable AND they have to wait on the replacement engine to arrive AND it is a long process to replace it, you could be driving a loaner for quite a while.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, it spent nearly a month at the dealer for the pana roof issue and they provided me with a loaner at no charge. I didn't even have to ask... I guess it depends on the price tag of your car and which dealer you go to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I was getting my Hyundai Accent repaired the first time, they gave me an 2017 Hyundai Elantra no problem whatsoever. I was able to use it for as long as I wanted, drive it as far as I wanted. I understood why. My repair bill at the time was over $1200. Then, after I picked up my car once the repairs were completed, as I was driving home, I noticed my speedometer and odometer were no longer working. Frustrated, I drove the car back to the dealership. Another $1100 to fix this. They gave me the same Elantra without hesitation. Didn't even have to sign it out again. Just tossed me the keys and told me they will let me know when the repairs are done. I told them I would be needing to do a LOT of driving. They said they don't care. Just use it as if I would use my own car. I have no doubt the amount of money I was spending in repairs on my piece-of-**** garbage Accent had them more than willing to lend me the Elantra.
Shockingly enough, my Accent, however much of a piece-of-**** it is, it sure drove far better than the brand-new Elantra. The Elantra herked and jerked like insane. You could feel the gears change every minute. Annoying as ****. The only thing I liked about the Elantra was the cruise-control. After experiencing this brand-new Elantra, I told Hyundai I would never purchase such a car due to the uncomfortable drive. The transmission and engine in my Accent is far-superior by comparison. The Service Person told me it depends upon how one drives a car. I told him that was the stupidest thing I ever heard.
Bottom line, I have never experience any problems obtaining a loaner from my dealership. Many people suggest this depends upon the individual dealership. I would suggest they are quite correct. It is not the dealership's fault my Accent is an absolute money-pit piece-of-garbage.

zzmichaelzz

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feel for your plight but what other manufacturer would you choose for your next car?
I don't know of one other manufacturer that has any warranty that would cover your 6 year old car.
Most common warranties are 3 years 36,000 miles while a couple (GM and FCA) extend drive trains to 100K but only for 5 years.
Courtesy cars are just that and generally supplied by high end dealers selling high $$ cars who want the extra edge in the customer service business.
Honestly I'd be thankful to have a warranty that covers you instead of paying for a new engine and a rental car as well.
In the USA, Hyundai warranties are for 100,000 MILES and 10 YEARS. I called Hyundai Canada about that, and asked them WTF? They claimed the difference lies in our climate, which is far harsher upon automobiles in Canada. I asked the dumb broad if she had ever been to Buffalo. Washington State? Montana?

zzmichaelzz

·
Registered
1 Posts
T
Does anybody else have this kind of experience too? Please share.
Yup have to get my whole engine replaced and it’ll be gone for about 2 months 2 MONTHS and they won’t provide a loaner and I won’t have transportation but they’re not the ones without the car so they don’t care

1 - 18 of 18 Posts