Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get new rims for my 2007 hyundia sonata.

What are the biggest and widest low profile tires/rims I can't put on with out rubbing and modifying the car.

Also what type of rims should I get? Chrome, painted etc.

And specific brands of tires/rims people suggest? And specific retailer?

Thanks!

·
Banned
873 Posts
this is my personal opinion..:

Wheel size: Dont go any bigger than 19" on the size of the wheels, anything above 19 looks pretty silly on our cars.

wideness: 9.5" wideness with +38 or above offset is your best bet for the most widest without any fender modifications....

Type of wheels: There are millions and million types of wheels you could get anything from cheap no name brand 200dollar crap wheels to wheels like BBS, DPE, HRE, ADV1, 360 degree wheels that cost arm and a leg.. for our cars, spending around $1500 is the most proper amount to spend towards wheels IMO
(If you want the flush look, spend the dough on wheels, if you dont care about any of them and you can hold through the sunkness look, just get any rimzz)

Color: please dont get chrome, it is the ultimate way to cheap out your car... i personally recommend hyper silver finish, it is almost chrome but has the shine if the stainless steel silverness.. (my wheels)

Tires: again dont cheap out on tires, this regards your safety as well.. , i prefer Hankook Ventus V12 tires, they wear out faster than most of the tires (not by much though), noise level is very mild, performs even awesome in the rain, 2nd choice would be Varadestein senssa track tires, these are quite pricey but it delivers pure performance

pm me if you want more information

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Nov 12 2010, 12:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371147
this is my personal opinion..:

Wheel size: Dont go any bigger than 19" on the size of the wheels, anything above 19 looks pretty silly on our cars.

wideness: 9.5" wideness with +38 or above offset is your best bet for the most widest without any fender modifications....
I
Type of wheels: There are millions and million types of wheels you could get anything from cheap no name brand 200dollar crap wheels to wheels like BBS, DPE, HRE, ADV1, 360 degree wheels that cost arm and a leg.. for our cars, spending around $1500 is the most proper amount to spend towards wheels IMO
(If you want the flush look, spend the dough on wheels, if you dont care about any of them and you can hold through the sunkness look, just get any rimzz)

Color: please dont get chrome, it is the ultimate way to cheap out your car... i personally recommend hyper silver finish, it is almost chrome but has the shine if the stainless steel silverness.. (my wheels)

Tires: again dont cheap out on tires, this regards your safety as well.. , i prefer Hankook Ventus V12 tires, they wear out faster than most of the tires (not by much though), noise level is very mild, performs even awesome in the rain, 2nd choice would be Varadestein senssa track tires, these are quite pricey but it delivers pure performance

pm me if you want more information
as for wheels size 19 was about what I was thinking.either 19 or 20. 21 def too big for the car 18 is not worth it because I already have 17 inch.19 sound like a good middle ground. This 38 offset thing. What's that? Is that some thing they will have to do when they put the tires on?

Also what size tires would you put on the 19x9.5 rims?

And where would you suggest buying from? online stores seem to have better prices but idk...any particular place you prefer?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
the most simple way to explain offset to some one who is lost on the subject is... offset determines how "tucked in" or "sticking out" a wheel is. the lower the offset the more a wheel "sticks out", but you must take width into account. a 9" wide rim with a 40 offset will stick out 1 mm further out than 8.5" wide rim with an offset of 35. a good tool to use is http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

your "current wheel specs" are most likely 6.5" with 46 offset

and if u do decide to go with something extreme like downhiller you will have to make up for it with a small/stretched tire size and compromise ride quality and ur spedo will be off.

225/40/19 and 245/35/19 are pretty close to spec.

·
Registered
33 Posts
question on wheel size

How bad does it hurt my 4 cylinders fuel mileage if I go to 17" as opposed to my stock 16"?

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (sunshyne @ Nov 18 2010, 03:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372805
question on wheel size

How bad does it hurt my 4 cylinders fuel mileage if I go to 17" as opposed to my stock 16"?
as downhiller said absolutely inconsequential as long as when you size up from 16's to 17's that ur sidewall aspect goes down from 215/60 to 215/50 then they are within a few tenths of an inch of each other.but keep the 215/60 in 17'' and it will change your speedo ever so slightly maybe .5-2mph difference and thats a big maybe

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
QUOTE (NubR1 @ Nov 18 2010, 03:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372829
as downhiller said absolutely inconsequential as long as when you size up from 16's to 17's that ur sidewall aspect goes down from 215/60 to 215/50 then they are within a few tenths of an inch of each other.but keep the 215/60 in 17'' and it will change your speedo ever so slightly maybe .5-2mph difference and thats a big maybe
ur mpg and acceleration could even improve, but it all depends on the weight. weight on rims (rotational mass) is worse than weight inside the car, way worse.
whats your budget and what are you looking at now?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm proly looking to spend 2000 bucks total. Do you have any specific suggestions on which rims to get? I don't want them to look like crap in a year, but i don't wanna go broke either.

Also how do i get the wheels/tires onto the car? Can I do it myself?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
QUOTE (kralco626 @ Dec 28 2010, 11:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=384101
I'm proly looking to spend 2000 bucks total. Do you have any specific suggestions on which rims to get? I don't want them to look like crap in a year, but i don't wanna go broke either.

Also how do i get the wheels/tires onto the car? Can I do it myself?
If you have 2k to spend on wheels please buy something from enkei racing (not performance) or any other light wheel. 

v

·
Registered
33 Posts
good responses guys, I dont want to spend over $1k for everything. I guess TireRack is a good place to start unless someone has options

Not looking for too flashy but definitely want to spice it up a bit

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (alfu @ Dec 28 2010, 02:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=384209
If you have 2k to spend on wheels please buy something from enkei racing (not performance) or any other light wheel. 

v
I agree, some RPF1's are definitely on my shopping list (only 14.6 lbs compared to my current wheels that weigh at least 200 lbs each =P )

QUOTE (sunshyne @ Dec 29 2010, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=384436
good responses guys, I dont want to spend over $1k for everything. I guess TireRack is a good place to start unless someone has options

Not looking for too flashy but definitely want to spice it up a bit
Staying below 1k and getting anything of some quality will be kinda tough. I did that with my first set of after markets and 2 of my wheels where destroyed within a year from hitting normal sized pot holes. If you are going to go bigger than stock and use low profile tires, I strongly recommend at least medium quality wheels and tires, unless you are going to drive like a grandma and avoid any possible road hazard. It could end up costing you much more in the long run. A budget of at least $1600 - $1800 would be ideal for a new set of quality wheels and tires, IMO.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
QUOTE (IVO25 @ Dec 29 2010, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=384499
I agree, some RPF1's are definitely on my shopping list (only 14.6 lbs compared to my current wheels that weigh at least 200 lbs each =P )

Staying below 1k and getting anything of some quality will be kinda tough. I did that with my first set of after markets and 2 of my wheels where destroyed within a year from hitting normal sized pot holes. If you are going to go bigger than stock and use low profile tires, I strongly recommend at least medium quality wheels and tires, unless you are going to drive like a grandma and avoid any possible road hazard. It could end up costing you much more in the long run. A budget of at least $1600 - $1800 would be ideal for a new set of quality wheels and tires, IMO.
are u saying my set of brand new xxrs+falken tires at just under $930 arent of good quality? =(

expensive doest always mean good quality...

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (alfu @ Dec 29 2010, 03:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=384524
are u saying my set of brand new xxrs+falken tires at just under $930 arent of good quality? =(

expensive doest always mean good quality...
Yes, that's what I'm saying =P

I agree that expensive doesn't equal quality and that there are good deals to be had. $1600 is by no means a lot of money for wheels, I was just telling my story of buying crappy rims. No matter how much you spend, its always good to do your research. Sorry for suggesting that you need to spend a lot of money to get quality stuff. I never said staying below 1k was impossible, just staying it was tough to find quality and that you have to be careful of what you buy, no mater how much you decide to spend.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
QUOTE (IVO25 @ Dec 29 2010, 07:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=384552
Yes, that's what I'm saying =P

I agree that expensive doesn't equal quality and that there are good deals to be had. $1600 is by no means a lot of money for wheels, I was just telling my story of buying crappy rims. No matter how much you spend, its always good to do your research. Sorry for suggesting that you need to spend a lot of money to get quality stuff. I never said staying below 1k was impossible, just staying it was tough to find quality and that you have to be careful of what you buy, no mater how much you decide to spend.
yea i was jp. i got the xxr 522s bc alot ppl have them and i have yet to see a picture of one bent or cracked (even tho the model is only 1yr old). and yea u have to watchout for $hitty rims that bend or crack easily.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (alfu @ Dec 29 2010, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=384572
yea i was jp. i got the xxr 522s bc alot ppl have them and i have yet to see a picture of one bent or cracked (even tho the model is only 1yr old). and yea u have to watchout for $hitty rims that bend or crack easily.
can you post a link a pic of what this rim/wheel combo look like?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Bumping this thread since I am looking to get bigger wheels.

So, if I don't swap out springs....it would look funny if I got 19"?

I actually don't like the dropped look where the spaces between the tire and wheel well don't match all the way around when it drops. There is a bigger gap towards the bottom...and I really don't like that look.

My question is, will the wheel gap be decreased with stock springs if I get 245-40-19? Will this set up rub? Yes, I plan on rolling the inside fender.

Also I searched for the specs for this one particular wheel (Niche MIlan). I don't see one that says 5 by 114.3 on the bolt pattern but it does come up that it fits on a couple of websites. Not really an expert on the bolt pattern....so what which patterns will fit?

Can someone take a look at the attached pic and let me know which one will fit best?

I want 19 by 8.5.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Very nice...

Bumping this thread since I am looking to get bigger wheels.

So, if I don't swap out springs....it would look funny if I got 19"?

I actually don't like the dropped look where the spaces between the tire and wheel well don't match all the way around when it drops. There is a bigger gap towards the bottom...and I really don't like that look.

My question is, will the wheel gap be decreased with stock springs if I get 245-40-19? Will this set up rub? Yes, I plan on rolling the inside fender.

Also I searched for the specs for this one particular wheel (Niche MIlan). I don't see one that says 5 by 114.3 on the bolt pattern but it does come up that it fits on a couple of websites. Not really an expert on the bolt pattern....so what which patterns will fit?

Can someone take a look at the attached pic and let me know which one will fit best?

I want 19 by 8.5.

hmr, very nice looking rims. Either would look good on your Azera. None of those listed have the 5x114.3 bolt pattern required for our cars. Neither DT or TR have an interactive with the Niche. I'm still looking and crunching the numbers. The offsets and sizes hurt my brain so it takes me awhile. :crying2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts