Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Im new here (like the username doesn't give that away lol). So as most people who sign up here, Im not a hyundai owner YET. Ive actually been shopping around for a used car and have seen some decently priced sonatas. Started doing my research and it looks like a hit or miss situation. Got people who love it and others who regret getting it in the first place. Ive loved the NF's since the day they came out cause they were beautiful (even though I saw a lot of accord in em) and the performance was insane at the time they had come out. Of course I'm talking about the V6's, not as much as the 4 cylinders which Im sure are nice in their own sense. Well cutting to the chase, Im looking for something reliable as well. Would love to own one since they are in my price range (about $6k) but dont want to get beat with things starting to fall apart week by week. Ive seen the other thread titled problems with the NF's but its just a barrage of various problems all across the board so my question is, what are the main issues I should be looking at when purchasing one. Ive come across a 07 GLS (this is Canadian so has a V6 and leather which if im not mistaken is a base model in the states and didnt have the V6 or the leather option). It has close to 110k kms (approx 68k miles). Asking price is around $6k. Any advice on what to look for would be appreciated, thanks!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check out TrueDelta site for good real life statistics:
TrueDelta -- Real Car Owners Driving Real Car Information

I had a 2006 GLS V6 for 110k miles / 180k km, and really liked the car. As you say, the car is very powerful, and never really left me wanting more. And w/ good winter tires (Nokian in my case), it was an excellent winter car as well IMO.

The only downside is gas mileage which was not great, I averaged 11-12l/100km mixed, but I am quite heavy on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW, this is crazy, out of all the people on the forum, someone from Ottawa replied to me hahaha, sorry I just found that remarkable since Im from Ottawa myself lol. Where abouts are you in Ottawa?

Thanks for sharing that website, looks interesting. Just did a quick check on the 07 sonata's and seems like they are the worst of the NF's but then like I said before, seems like its a hit or miss with the NF's.

PS. Just noticed i misspelled sonata in the title lol, not sure how I can edit that

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mine's an 07 and she's as problem-filled as they come.

It depends what you want in a car. If you want cheap, they deliver because they do a bad job of holding their value. They are known for soft handling/steering and terrible clutches. So, don't get a manual, but it appears you aren't looking at manual transmissions.

My experience has been that they really are a step below the other major makes. There are only so many ways to cut costs in a car. It has appeared to me that they cut costs in all the auxiliary systems. It seems the most common (and frustrating/expensive) problems are in the fuel tank emissions system and air bag system. My car has also had lots of ESC/ABS problems, which are very difficult for even the dealer to diagnose and very expensive to repair.

The engines and transmissions seem mostly problem free. The normal stuff would be Oil Control Valves, V6 oil leaks onto the alternator and a couple other things.

If I were to do it over again I wouldn't buy this car, but other people like them. If I were to buy one again, I'd get a post-refresh model, if possible. They got a pretty significant update partway through the cycle. It was in 09, maybe, if I'm remembering correctly. I'd also make sure it had at least a decent amount of warranty left so I could get in problems sorted out under warranty.

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine's an 07 and she's as problem-filled as they come.

It depends what you want in a car. If you want cheap, they deliver because they do a bad job of holding their value. They are known for soft handling/steering and terrible clutches. So, don't get a manual, but it appears you aren't looking at manual transmissions.

My experience has been that they really are a step below the other major makes. There are only so many ways to cut costs in a car. It has appeared to me that they cut costs in all the auxiliary systems. It seems the most common (and frustrating/expensive) problems are in the fuel tank emissions system and air bag system. My car has also had lots of ESC/ABS problems, which are very difficult for even the dealer to diagnose and very expensive to repair.

The engines and transmissions seem mostly problem free. The normal stuff would be Oil Control Valves, V6 oil leaks onto the alternator and a couple other things.

If I were to do it over again I wouldn't buy this car, but other people like them. If I were to buy one again, I'd get a post-refresh model, if possible. They got a pretty significant update partway through the cycle. It was in 09, maybe, if I'm remembering correctly. I'd also make sure it had at least a decent amount of warranty left so I could get in problems sorted out under warranty.

Anyway, good luck.
Thanks for a detailed review of your experience Stephen. Yes, my budget is around $6k and getting one for that price is dirt cheap especially with fairly low mileage. I don't really care for them holding value cause if I can sell it for $2k a couple of years down the road, ill be happy. Im just looking for something reliable, don't care about how cheap the interior is cause the car looks good to me and my previous cars have mostly been beaters so trust me, this interior would be like a Lexus interior for me haha.

Yea the problems you are mentioning seem pretty daunting. I don't think many cars out there have any warranties remaining for the 07's, I guess that's why they can be had for cheap.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Get it thoroughly checked out, make sure there are no codes and go from there.

Especially check to see if the passenger seat sensor works for the airbag. Make sure to see if he rear or front subframe are rusty and will need to be replaced. There's currently a recall on the rear subframe.

The fuel tank emissions system common problem is overflowing when you fill up. There's not really a way to check that except for filling it up, I suppose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts