Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the other posts on Winter tires for the Sonata but I am having trouble applying it to my budget and vehicle. I have a 2011 SE with the 18" wheels. I only just got the car so I have no experience with it in the snow (Northeast Ohio) but my gut tells me the stock 225/45R18 tires are not ideal.

My plan was to find wheels from an older Sonata (or other Hyundai model) at the junk yard and mount some decent winter tires. Cost is an issue for me. I am looking for a recommendation on matching a set of older Hyundai wheels and tire sizes that would fit my 2011 SE and be close enough for the speedometer. Like the other posts, I am willing to forgo the TPMS for the winter.

I know I could go to Tire Rack and buy their recommended wheel/combo option for about $612 but that leaves the speedometer way off (calculated based on tire circumference). It is also way too much money for me to spend. I understand $400 in winter tires but if I can go from $220 for new wheels down to under $100 at an "auto recycler", I would definitely try that route.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I did a quickie search on Tirerack.com and the Gen4 Sonatas runs the same bolt pattern and offset. You can check other previous models, and even other makes and models of cars with the same methodology. You just shop for wheels and search for whatever car you suspect might share the bolt pattern and offset, and then check the results. you want 5x114.3 and about a 46-48 offset. The center bore might be an issue but if you are at a junkyard with your metric ruler or measuring tape, you can just make sure you are at at least 67.1mm or bigger. Hubcentric would be nice but in a pinch, boltcentric will work.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yep last gen sonata wheels are identical spec wise to these. If you go to www.fastwheels.ca and then to the applicatiin page it lists offset bolt pattern for every car. Just find those that fit and you are good. Think a couple mitsubishi cars have the same spec wheels too.

For tires the general altimax artic are a bargain and tests have shown they are as good as the best michelin out there. I got my in 17 inch for $142 canadian each. I think tire rack is like $100 us each.

Or if you want steel wheels costco is dirt cheap for multifit wheels. In canada they are like $35 for 15 inch and nit much more fir 16 inch.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Sep 22 2010, 06:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358102
Yep last gen sonata wheels are identical spec wise to these. If you go to www.fastwheels.ca and then to the applicatiin page it lists offset bolt pattern for every car. Just find those that fit and you are good. Think a couple mitsubishi cars have the same spec wheels too.

For tires the general altimax artic are a bargain and tests have shown they are as good as the best michelin out there. I got my in 17 inch for $142 canadian each. I think tire rack is like $100 us each.

Or if you want steel wheels costco is dirt cheap for multifit wheels. In canada they are like $35 for 15 inch and nit much more fir 16 inch.

General Altimax Arctics are awesome! At least when new... i ran mine all summer and the second winter they were substantially worse than first winter. Pretty much to be expected... i really did not expect them to last that whole summer, the second winter, this past summer through today. they wear just like a normal street tire actually. 45000 miles on mine and they look like theyd do another 10k easily (on dry/rain--snow, no.)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
OEM on the SE is, according to Tire Rack, the Hankook Optimo H431. The 225-45-18 size shows a diameter of 25.9 inches and 801 revolutions per mile on the specs page.
The winter size (narrower is better in winter tires) is 205-65-16, or 215-60-16 as an alternate.
--- The Altimax Arctic in 215-60-16 ($82) shows a diameter of 26.2 inches and 800 revolutions per mile on the specs page.
--- The Dunlop Graspic DS3 in 205-65-16 ($87) shows a diameter of 26.5 inches and 790 revolutions per mile on the specs page. Speedometer error would be 59.25mph at an indicated 60mph, or 3/4mph under. Not a problem at all considering most speedometers are set to read a couple of mph over at that speed.
...Remember that speedometer error is based on revolutions per mile, not absolute tire diameter x 3.14. The Altimax and the stock tire are essentially identical in speedometer accuracy.

A set of four 215/60 Altimax mounted on steel wheels (55/ea) without tpms and plastic hubcaps would be 580 plus shipping, so maybe 630 total?

If you buy the tires alone and then try to locate universal steel wheels or junkyard wheels, the mount/balance/valve stem cost will move the cost back to what the Tirerack kit is selling for.

I have been buying winter tires for over 10 years for various cars owned by my family and relatives. My justification is that the collision deductible is $1000, and so if the tires save my @$$ even once, they paid for themselves. Better to pay the money for the tires now rather than give it to an arrogant sanctimonious gecko after an unfortunate mishap. Nevertheless, every time I run the numbers, and the click-n-buy always works out as the lowest cost option. And I never have to worry about used rims that are not true or are rusted around the bead.

Going without tpms is the way to go. If you add the tpms sensors ($324), the dealer has to reset the car to store the unique id numbers of the new sensors, and then do so again when you switch back to the stock rims. If you do go shopping for a used set of <=2010 Sonata wheels, keep in mind that those tpms sensors do not work with the 2011 model, so don't pay extra for them on the rare chance that you find a set of used wheels with the sensors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts