Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade from my sedan to SUV. Main requirements are 3rd row seats (to fit a kid and an old dog in the same car) and safety. Car will be driven in a major Midwest City where it snows a lot but is ploughed pretty fast so I think I should be fine with even a fwd with good snow tires. My plan is to buy it in the South (GA/SC) where i currently am before I move to Midwest to avoid an older car with rust issues.

I wasn't considering Santa Fe and only looking at Pilot/Highlander but somebody suggested Hyundai has picked up their game and it is serious contender.

I found a 2015 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate (I beleive this has the 3.3L Lambda GDi V6 290 hp engine) 77k miles (2nd owner) for $16K (local private sale so maybe i can bring it to $15k)

1. Is this is a reasonable price for the car?
2. Any issues that i should be concerned about in the 2015 Santa Fe? I checked the VIN for recall and it seems clean.
3. As a family car, is there anything I should be aware of in terms of reliability? I have had bad experience with 2011 Sonata when the engine had to be replaced (thank god we were under 100k) under warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have a 2014 XL Limited since new and yes I had some minor issues but nothing was major as of yet, my current mileage are around 70K miles. Had some minor issues like tail light has some water contamination but it was cover under warranty, some bushing replaced due to some annoying sounds when going over bumps, wiper motor seized which was too early but had to replace. This is my longest kept vehicle as I would normally get rid of my other vehicles around 3-4 year mark, overall this isn’t a bad SUV for a family and having a V6 3.3L was a good choice for me. Hope this helps and GL with your decision!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looking to upgrade from my sedan to SUV. Main requirements are 3rd row seats (to fit a kid and an old dog in the same car) and safety. Car will be driven in a major Midwest City where it snows a lot but is ploughed pretty fast so I think I should be fine with even a fwd with good snow tires. My plan is to buy it in the South (GA/SC) where i currently am before I move to Midwest to avoid an older car with rust issues.

I wasn't considering Santa Fe and only looking at Pilot/Highlander but somebody suggested Hyundai has picked up their game and it is serious contender.

I found a 2015 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate (I beleive this has the 3.3L Lambda GDi V6 290 hp engine) 77k miles (2nd owner) for $16K (local private sale so maybe i can bring it to $15k)

1. Is this is a reasonable price for the car?
2. Any issues that i should be concerned about in the 2015 Santa Fe? I checked the VIN for recall and it seems clean.
3. As a family car, is there anything I should be aware of in terms of reliability? I have had bad experience with 2011 Sonata when the engine had to be replaced (thank god we were under 100k) under warranty.

Thanks
Great choice with the 2015-2016 Sante Fe's. I researched cars for about 6 months and purchased a used 2015. I liked it so much, I purchased a used 2016 several months later to replace our other car. The 2015 GLS is the same as the 2016 SE. The complaints ratio for 2015 and 2016 are very low.

I recommend the GLS/SE over the Limited so you don't loose seating capacity.

I recommend avoiding the Ultimate package and choosing the Premium package due to fewer complaints. Limited has:
The 2016 is about the same price as 2015 assuming similar miles and options. 2016 would give you some time left on the 60K/5YR bumper-to-bumper limited warranty, and you can still find 2016's out there that are CPO -> 100K/10YR powertrain warranty.

Georgia is a great state to buy a used car. Mild climate, they dont salt their roads. Texas is good too and Southwest flights are very inexpensive to H-Town right now.

This 2016 SE Premium with 45,657 miles is $17991 and is CPO.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check for:
  • Excessive brake wear, especially the rear brakes. A common failing among Hyundai vehicles.
  • Excessive suspension strut wear, or any leaks.
  • Broken stabilizer bar ends (mounts).
  • Carbon buildup on the intake valves. You can get a borescope and snake it through the intake.
  • AWD coupler if this is an AWD vehicle. Close all windows, drive the vehicle at low speed and perform some hard turns. If you hear some sort of knocking or clunking while turning, the coupler needs attention.
  • Hood release cable recall has been performed.
Plus all the other things that you'd check for when purchasing a used vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts