Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo HTRAC 20" wheels
815 Posts
I’m also thinking I can just take my wife’s 21 calligraphy palisade and put the thing on bricks and put those tires on my vehicle…. She’ll never know.
Yeah, I hear you. Had to buy my wife a new Explorer XLT as my penance for trading in my older SF on the Cali on a whim. She only drives the old Explorer and the new one gets dusty in the garage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I maybe getting even cheaper in my older age, but I dont understand the why anyone would want anything bigger than 19s. The rubber is expensive to replace if you are keeping this long term. I actually want the 18" tire as I dont mind that rim at all, plus a good 60mm on the side wall vs 55.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I maybe getting even cheaper in my older age, but I dont understand the why anyone would want anything bigger than 19s. The rubber is expensive to replace if you are keeping this long term. I actually want the 18" tire as I dont mind that rim at all, plus a good 60mm on the side wall vs 55.
Because maybe the 20" came with the car? I agree the 19's would ride better but unless you have someone that lives in the same city and bought the other and can put them up on a rack and swap tires, you're pretty much going to go with 20's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know what you mean--large wheels just seem like a style fad to me--i don't know of any performance, comfort, or economical benefit ever published or stated. I'm also not a fan of the current black wheel fad!!

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,551 Posts
Cost aside, larger diameter tires ride better over bumps and pot holes but impact mpg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If the estimated mpg is around 31 combined with stock 19” tires. What kind of loss in mpg would I be looking at with upgrading to the calligraphy wheels

·
Registered
815 Posts
Cost aside, larger diameter tires ride better over bumps and pot holes but impact mpg.
Huh? Err no..

Larger diameter tires means less sidewall to cushion the bumps and especially pot holes. Try to drive a 20" wheel tire into a pot hole and see what the jar will feel light and pray and hope that your wheel hasn't been dented!

Larger diameter tires grip better on dry road and have better steering response but suck on wet/snow as the tire width is larger and can't channel the water/snow away as well.

See the below chart, a lot more worsens than improves....

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Paper product

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,551 Posts
Low profile of any size tires are like riding wooden roller coaster. Larger tire rolls over pot holes where as smaller tire drops into it. Hence more comfortable.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts