Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Actually the vehicle is not brand new. It has under 1k miles on it. 2020 Santa Fe all-wheel-drive SE 2.4 L engine. I was informed by the sales staff that since I’m purchasing a used vehicle my warranty will now be reduced to five years 60,000 miles. With the history of these engines failing what would you do in my situation? Would you buy it or look for something else? P.S. What would it cost me to get the full ten-year hundred thousand mile warranty ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ths is like conducting a Poll.
I vote Buy New - getting a V6 engine, if possible.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,600 Posts
I bought the best Hyundai extended warranty 10/120,000 for under $1,600. You don’t have to buy it from your dealer, but can shop around with other dealers. You’ll have weigh the total cost of this ‘20 versus a ‘21 model with the newer 2.5 engine. No V6 engines are offered.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
You don’t say how much the dealer is asking for it. Depending on price, I would also consider new.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
811 Posts
"...With the history of these engines failing..." That is history.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would certainly want to compare the dealer best price for this used Santa Fe with the price you can negotiate for a comparable new Santa Fe. We're at the time of year that the 2020's will/should have reduced prices and still have a pretty good availability through multiple dealerships. If you really feel you need the 10 year engine warranty, be sure to add that to the amount you'd pay for the used Santa Fe to get a "apples to apples" comparison with a new one.
I own a 2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0 that I bought last Spring. It's my 2nd Hyundai as I also owned a 2018 Sonata Limited that I sold to my son. We consider both these vehicles as best buys and they are a pleasure to drive and own. Neither has had ANY problems/issues and we think they are one of the best looking in their class!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Actually the vehicle is not brand new. It has under 1k miles on it. 2020 Santa Fe all-wheel-drive SE 2.4 L engine. I was informed by the sales staff that since I’m purchasing a used vehicle my warranty will now be reduced to five years 60,000 miles. With the history of these engines failing what would you do in my situation? Would you buy it or look for something else? P.S. What would it cost me to get the full ten-year hundred thousand mile warranty ?
Sounds like a demo to me and it should still be sold as new with the accumulated mileage deducted from the factory mileage, my suggestion is to find another dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
537 Posts
How can anyone properly answer this when you haven't told us what savings you are getting vs. buying a new one? At this point, dealers should have close-out deals on 2020 models. If you are going to buy used and then pay more for an extended warranty, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up really close to the price for a new car.

On the warranty, understand that the basic warranty is 5/60K. Only the powertrain warranty is 10/100K.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
537 Posts
Sounds like a demo to me and it should still be sold as new with the accumulated mileage deducted from the factory mileage, my suggestion is to find another dealer.
It's all about whether the demo has already been titled. If so, it can't be sold new.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4l FWD
96 Posts
Many good comments in the preceding posts.

We bought our 2020 Hyunda Santa Fe SEL last year on Dec 31. While waiting for the paper work to be done the Salesman sat with us and we talked about the best time to buy a new vehicle. The Salesman said October, November are the best time to buy a new vehicle. As one other already mentioned the New year Models 2021 are hitting the lots and they still have a selection of 2020 Models which all of a sudden are old news in some peoples minds. There are many good deals to be had at this time of year. Dealers are also highly motivated to reduce inventory at this time of year for a number of reasons. Typically Hyundai will also run end of year deals to clear out inventory and we were able to take advantage of this.

I think you should comparison shop - price for a 2021,price for a new 2020, best price for the used 2020 . Then negotiate for the very best price on your choice.

Don't forget the Internet- you can use a Car Buying Service where they list the vehicle you want to buy then different Dealers will bid on your vehicle competing for the best price. This bid is a binding offer that you can then take in to that Dealer to purchase the car. We used Edmonds New Car Buying Service when we bough our car. I was in complete control the whole time. The Dealer did what I said and wanted to complete the sale or the heck with them I would select the next lowest Dealer!

Also don't forget Nationwide Used Car Dealers like Carvana don't lock yourself in to one Dealer there are many options and if you look at them that Dealer is going to have to compete for your business.

As an example after comparing all the options walk in to the Dealer tell him what you are willing to pay and that they must throw in a 10 year -120,000 mile warranty - be prepared to negotiate or to just walk out if your offer isn't met and then pursue your other options. If you really want this vehicle at the price it is being offered then do what the one gentlemen suggested buy the vehicle and purchase a separate warranty.

Do what you want not what the Dealer wants!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I believe 2018 was the last year for a V6 option in the Santa Fe. Sad.
Actually, the current Santa Fe is the continuation of what was formerly known as the Santa Fe Sport 2013–2018. In ‘19 it was renamed Santa Fe and continues through ‘21 with two four cylinder engine options in the USA. No 6 cyl.

The SUV formerly known as the Santa Fe until 2018 became the Santa Fe XL for only the ‘19 year. In ‘20 it grew fancier and sprouted into a new model called Palisade. This is the only current Hyundai vehicle with a 6 cyl engine.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
OP, tell the dealer you’ll consider the used ‘20 if they give you a CPO warranty. That will at least get you back the 10/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. The vehicle in question is a 2020 Santa Fe SE all-wheel-drive it’s got approximately 800 miles on it and it’s for sale at Carmax so I’m pretty sure it was already titled at a rental car company. Price is $22990.00. Did the engine Upgrades around 2015 have a big impact or are we still seeing roughly the same number of failures? Would someone happen to know the name of a dealer that’s offering a good price the on the extended warranty’s ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do the 2019 Santa Fe’s with a 2.4L theta 2 get a lifetime warranty on the engine, even on the 2nd or 3rd owner? After reading the settlement I’m not sure 🤔 Thanks again

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L AWD
59 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The vehicle in question is a 2020 Santa Fe SE all-wheel-drive it’s got approximately 800 miles on it and it’s for sale at Carmax so I’m pretty sure it was already titled at a rental car company. Price is $22990.00. Did the engine Upgrades around 2015 have a big impact or are we still seeing roughly the same number of failures? Would someone happen to know the name of a dealer that’s offering a good price the on the extended warranty’s ?
Do the 2019 Santa Fe’s with a 2.4L theta 2 get a lifetime warranty on the engine, even on the 2nd or 3rd owner? After reading the settlement I’m not sure 🤔 Thanks again
I believe only certain 2019's get a lifetime warranty on the short block portion of the engine only. The long block part of the engine was still only 10 years but they extended the mileage to 120,000 from 100,000. The 2020 you are looking at would not be part of that settlement.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You simply contact your area Hyundai dealers about extended warranty cost. They most likely will require a physical inspection of any used car before granting the warranty. Shop around among dealers ...say within 50 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks I remember the warranty part doing the same thing with a Ford. With the Ford they were dealers out of state offering The warranty for like half price. Anyone purchase the warranty I’m looking for ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Santa Fe Sel 2.0 last week with 3000 miles on it. I got $4250 off Msrp prior to incentives, and it was sold to me as a new car with full warranty.
Ended up around 28,500 for a 36k Santa Fe.

It was a no-brainer to me!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts