Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I’m strolling by the Tucson forums as a Sonata owner looking around and seeing what the Tucson is all about. I currently own a 2016 Sonata Sport and I’m planning on getting a second Hyundai soon and I really like the Tucson over the Santa Fe. It’s more comfortable to sit in for starters and I favor the Tucson’s interior design. I haven’t gotten to test drive the Tucson yet but I’m looking into the 2018 Sport with the 2.4L and the 6 speed automatic. I’d like everybody’s opinion on their Tucson’s, how many miles do you have and how is it on long trips? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like my Tucson and it has about 27,000 miles on it now...

Here’s a thread from last year when I went on a road trip...

My 26 Hour Trip - '16 Tucson
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ums.com/showthread.php?p=5357185&share_type=t

The AC issue was resolved with an updated sensor and ECU update.

I just finished reading your thread and I’m glad everything was okay with you and your family! I’m glad that the Tucson performed very well for you as well! Just by sitting in it I knew I’d be comfortable, but I’ll need to drive it and see for myself. I understand they lease well too, good deals if you find the right place. Fingers crossed! Thank you for sharing your experience!

Reactions: Zurdo

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2017 SE AWD with the popular equipment package. Didn't like the DCT's performance in city driving, plus the issues they were having so went with the SE. Engine gets the job done, though constantly going close to wide open throttle to get any real acceleration is getting old fast and trying to accelerate uphill isn't pretty. The 2.4 should be somewhat better though I'd prefer the 1.6T with the 6 speed automatic or even better a 2.0T or V6.

I bought mine last April, by September the AC was really weak pulsing cold and warm. It was 65-70 degrees outside and had the AC and fan both maxed out trying to keep it somewhat cool. At the time the "fix" for the AC issues was to remove the dash and replace the compressor. Obviously I wasn't thrilled with the idea of having the dash of my new car taken apart so fortunately I decided to wait and see how it did in the spring. Just had the sensor recall done last week and so far the AC is working fine. It's way too early to declare the issue solved though, see how all the Tucsons with the recall done are faring in a few years.

One thing I'm not real impressed with is the durability of the interior materials. When I bought it I was a bit concerned with how well the armrest on the center console would hold up because the material seemed pretty thin. I just hit 1 year/8,000 miles and decided to give the interior a cleaning. It turns out what I thought was a couple smudges on the armrest is in fact the very thin soft touch material wearing though. Have a couple spots about the size of a quarter with a bit of white showing through just from my elbow resting on it for 8,000 miles... Also had what I thought was rubber marks from the sole of my shoes(sneakers, not heavy duty boots or anything) rubbing on the door panel when squeezing out the door in tight parking lots. Tried scrubbing them off with plastic cleaner and realized the sole of my sneakers actually scraped the heck out of the plastic. All the cleaner did was give the scrapes a glossy look and stand out even more. My previous vehicle was a 2008 RAV4 which had a pretty cheap and unimpressive interior and after 80,000 miles the interior plastics and armrest were holding up better than the Tucson with 8,000 miles. I'm concerned what it's going to look like after a few more years.

Long trips are decent. The seats are quite comfortable and once I get to highway speeds the 2.0L engine does a decent job. Not much worse than the RAV4 really. Getting to 60 MPH is rather slow though.

Honestly I'm wishing I would have considered other options with more power like the Escape SE with the 2.0T before they made it top trim only. Partly bought the Tucson because I found myself needing to buy a new vehicle or sink a few thousand dollars into the RAV4 that was getting old and the Tucson had a lot of manufacturer incentives when none of the competition did. Got mine for $22,000 when a similarly equipped Sportage, RAV4, or Santa Fe Sport 2.4 would have been $26,000-$27,000. I'm currently considering trading it in on a 2016-2017 CPO Escape with the 2.0T. Being an American manufacturer the 1-2 year old ones are pretty cheap. Perhaps you'll like the Tucson, though at this point I'd wait for the 2019 if you can. But might want to check out some of the competition as well, particularly the interior materials and drivetrains with a bit more power.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey everybody, I’m strolling by the Tucson forums as a Sonata owner looking around and seeing what the Tucson is all about. I currently own a 2016 Sonata Sport and I’m planning on getting a second Hyundai soon and I really like the Tucson over the Santa Fe. It’s more comfortable to sit in for starters and I favor the Tucson’s interior design. I haven’t gotten to test drive the Tucson yet but I’m looking into the 2018 Sport with the 2.4L and the 6 speed automatic. I’d like everybody’s opinion on their Tucson’s, how many miles do you have and how is it on long trips? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought my 17' Night Edition last summer. I did researched my homework before I bought I was supposed be get 1.6T on Sport trim but they did gave me Night Edition I am okay because looks good with dark trim and I going to leave it nothing change it. I am really like this Tucson design because looks so sophisticated.

I already bewared about DCT. I am prefer to have Turbo it will delivered me more power and better with gas mileage. So far, I don't have any issues with my Tucson. I believe people doesn't know how drive with DCT or they dislike "automatic-manual style" really DCT helps better gas mileage for gear plus if you want sport spirits it will shift really fast like Porsche transmission.

I drove to Rochester, Owego, Watertown in New York around in Feb 2018. Also driving in heavy snow storm and everything is okay. One thing I wish have heat steering wheel. I heard 2018 Tucson with Limited package will have heat steering wheel but not sure. It was comfortable for me and Turbo pretty good job with gas mileage while on 2,000 miles and good handle in mountains road.

I just added some performance parts in my hood so far I get about 38-43MPG on country road; 33MPG on highway; 28MPG on city.

I want make sure you know that 2019 Hyundai Tucson will not have turbocharger for a good. So It best chance for you make sure if you want 2.4L on 2018 Sport / 2019 2.4L on Limited or you want buy get DCT with Turbo before last model for 2018.

Wish you best of luck! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought my 2017 Limited Ultimate last September and had a wiring harness issue that rendered the turbo lifeless but after a that was fixed I couldn't be happier. So much so that last week we bought the wife one. The DCT takes a little getting used to but once you are, it is real fun to drive with plenty of power. This car checks all the boxes for me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies! It seems like a lot of you are very satisfied with your Tucsons and I’m glad I have people to share their experiences. I’ve heard good and bad with the DCT and think the 6 speed automatic would be a good fit for me. As I already have the 6 speed and the 2.4 in my sonata I’ll feel comfortable with the identical power plant.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you all for the replies! It seems like a lot of you are very satisfied with your Tucsons and I’m glad I have people to share their experiences. I’ve heard good and bad with the DCT and think the 6 speed automatic would be a good fit for me. As I already have the 6 speed and the 2.4 in my sonata I’ll feel comfortable with the identical power plant.
Just remember that the Tuscon is quite a bit heavier and less aerodynamic than the Sonata. So, the 2.4/6 will not seem as powerful.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just remember that the Tuscon is quite a bit heavier and less aerodynamic than the Sonata. So, the 2.4/6 will not seem as powerful.
A 2.4L in a Tucson makes me cringe. I actually ended up settling on the 1.6T Tucson DCT because it pulled harder than anything else comparable at the time. My Sonata has the same drive-train. In my Sonata, I shift at 2K RPMs or less. My Tucson easily over 3K RPM through the first two gears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my Tucson last October, a 1.7 litre diesel with DCT gearbox. Built in the Czech Republic, and I am in the UK.
It drives brilliantly, very comfortable on longer journeys.
Gearbox changes up at 1,700 rpm in normal driving, I get 45 mpg driving around town, 56 mpg on a long journey on good roads where I can maintain 60+ mph continuously.
With 139 bhp it has all the power it needs and more. The bigger 2 litre engine simply isn't needed, and only results in a small increase in acceleration at a cost of markedly worse fuel consumption.
Recommended!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had my Tucson for just over a year. I love it. One thing that I really love is the rigidity of the body. It is far and away the most solid vehicle in its class. That helps the suspension work more consistently, so no surprises when road conditions change. Compare the tucson to the flimsy structure of the rav4 or rogue and you'll know you made the right decision to get the tucson. I also love the turbo and dct. They work exactly as I expected, fun to drive and great gas mileage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts