Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been trying to troubleshoot my 2000 accent for the last 6 months or so. First, she wouldn't start if it was stop and go running (like shopping, running errands, and the like). She would start if she sat for 8hrs or so. So after much research, we changed out the fuel pump and fuel filter. She began running like she used to. Then about a month after that, she wouldn't start at all, could hear the fuel pump kick on, so knew it wasn't that. Swapped around a couple of the relays in the box in the engine compartment, and realize the relay had failed. Replaced the relay. That sort of fixed the starting issue. She still had some starting issues, but only after she got warm. After more research went ahead and swapped the engine coolant temperature sensor. After that, she was running semi-ok for 2 weeks, then while driving she just shut off. At this point, I combed thru the forums to see about ideas, and I have seen so many suggestions as to what to fix. Saw a suggestion about changing out the purge control valve because the symptoms were very similar. Bought a code reader to see if I could get any codes, and while the code reader was connected to the car, it wasn't finding a specific code, but was indicating there was at least 1 code, but some of the systems were indicating a "Monitor has not run" status. The 3 areas that kept showing "monitor has not run" status is oxygen sensor monitor, catalyst monitor, and EVAP system monitor. Left the code reader on for ~15 mins to see if it would finally run a status. Nothing changed. Went out this morning and tried to troubleshoot again. Went out and plugged reader in, it did the same as before. Then started the car, because if I let the car run for a bit, it will just stall out. Was hoping that might flag a code. The car ran for ~15 mins before it stalled. Still no code, but code reader showed that "monitor has not run" for the 3 mentioned above. When the car stalled, I know the fuel pump was working (was checking to make sure it was working because of the way the car is behaving.) At this point I'm not sure where else to look. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Monitor not run only means that the ECU has not decided that conditions are right to run certain tests. Each test has a very specific "Drive Cycle" which must be performed before the test will complete. Long way of saying, don't worry about the Monitor status for now.

A shop with more sophisticated test/diagnostic equip might be a big help about now, although I realize you're hoping to solve this at minimal cost.

Stuck open purge valve could cause the stalling, especially in hot climates like yours.

To get some idea of the complexity involved in this part of the emissions system, read article here:
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0444 EVAP Purge Control Circuit No Signal

Be sure to register for FREE access to the Hyundai on-line Shop Manuals. See Sticky.

Jim

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i almost never say this, but this is one of those few times i agree with seeking out someone with the more advanced test gear for the ECU. i would recommend a dealer....i can't believe i just said that :p

something isn't right with that ECU if you can't get codes...you probably will not be able to diagnose that so easily. spare working ECU is all i can think of.

for now, stop replacing parts on a guess. you've done well so far and had a bit of luck. you're going to start wasting money soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seems like I have same problem on 2010 accent - cleared codes now monitors wont set. Looks like it was good call to make appt next week. 2up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts