Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for the wire that i would use so when my interior lights turn on, my foot lights will turn on as well. hopefully its under the dash and doesnt require too much disassembly

2011 gls

·
Registered
547 Posts
Look in fuse box, on the right side there will be 3 wires. Blue, red, white. Apparently the blue wire is always hot. So that can be your 12V source and you can use any metal for ground. I'm very tempted to buy a 4pc set and do this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look in fuse box, on the right side there will be 3 wires. Blue, red, white. Apparently the blue wire is always hot. So that can be your 12V source and you can use any metal for ground. I'm very tempted to buy a 4pc set and do this.
if you tap the box most lines are hot

i dont want a always hot line though, i need to to be the wires that go to the interior lights so when i unlock the door the lights turn on, or when i open the door.

·
Registered
547 Posts
if you tap the box most lines are hot

i dont want a always hot line though, i need to to be the wires that go to the interior lights so when i unlock the door the lights turn on, or when i open the door.
Yeah I would like to know that answer too. I'm trying to decide if I want to order them or not. I'd really like to have that feature.

·
22,793 Posts
Check my recent threads. I just did this going thru the overhead map light circuit. They ramp up when the door opens, fade out when ignition starts. Map lights still operate independently.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
We gotta find the wire for the headlights. When you press unlock on the key fob, the headlights come on, which would trigger the led interior lights to come on. Also, when the headlights turn on during night time, again the led interior lights would come. I had it like that in my old mustang and it was amazing.

It's just a matter of finding that wire to ground too. So if I'm understanding it correctly, you could connect the + to the always hot blue wire, but than ground to the mysterious headlight wire that then only allows the lights to come on with the headlights.

·
22,793 Posts
Mine comes on with the fob unlocking the door. Goes out when the fob locks the door, also. Or if unlocked, when the door opens. Don't try to outthink this. Use the KISS method that I use: "Keep It Simple Stupid." Or look up the definition of "Occams Razor." :wink2: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Mine comes on with the fob unlocking the door. Goes out when the fob locks the door, also. Or if unlocked, when the door opens. Don't try to outthink this. Use the KISS method that I use: Kepp It Simple Stupid. Or look up the definition of "Ocaams Razor."
Yeah but I really don't want to deal with that A-pillar again :) lol But me personally, I'd really like the lights to also be on at night when the lights come on. That's why I was offering finding the wire for the headlights would be perfect! I was so close to pulling the trigger on this kit [ame]http://www.amazon.com/4pc-Blue-Interior-Underdash-Lighting/dp/B000UV8FNS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382411566&sr=8-3&keywords=4pc+led+interior+lights[/ame] tonight. But figured I'd do some more research first. This comes with a controller that theoretically I could turn the lights on and off at night. But having them come on with the lights(when car unlocked, and at night) is ideal and the best outcome imo.

·
22,793 Posts
Okay, so you want them to remain on when the lights are on. I misunderstood. That would drive me crazy at night. I did it for a splash or color and as a courtesy so people would (hopefully) put their big clodhoppers on the mats I have covering the OEM mats and not on anything else.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Check my recent threads. I just did this going thru the overhead map light circuit. They ramp up when the door opens, fade out when ignition starts. Map lights still operate independently.
Rich, congratulations on getting your footwell led's fitted. I know you have been looking to get this done for a while.
You are giving me the incentive to get this done myself!!!
After I fit my new aluminum pedals:D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Okay, so you want them to remain on when the lights are on. I misunderstood. That would drive me crazy at night. I did it for a splash or color and as a courtesy so people would (hopefully) put their big clodhoppers on the mats I have covering the OEM mats and not on anything else.
Yeah, I loved how I had it set up in my last car. Looked slick and didn't bother me at all at night. So I'm not sure how I'd set it up.

I was looking up in the fuse box area and the wiring coming out of the dimming switch near the eco button. Possibly one of those wires could work?

I believe when looking for wires, you check for voltage running through them in different scenarios. So possibly when headlights on there is voltage running through, and when off there's nothing. Therefore that would be perfect wire? Maybe I'm missing more info on it but I'm no electrician lol

·
22,793 Posts
Well, I'm not a "sparktrician," either. But you're on the right track using a multimeter. I used one on the map light circuit. Had to hold the leads on various wires as I closed the door. I was waiting for the timer to activate to turn the lights out. About 29 seconds. Meter was showing about 12.6 volts. When the map light dimmed, 0.00. I had my pigeon!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah, I loved how I had it set up in my last car. Looked slick and didn't bother me at all at night. So I'm not sure how I'd set it up.

I was looking up in the fuse box area and the wiring coming out of the dimming switch near the eco button. Possibly one of those wires could work?

I believe when looking for wires, you check for voltage running through them in different scenarios. So possibly when headlights on there is voltage running through, and when off there's nothing. Therefore that would be perfect wire? Maybe I'm missing more info on it but I'm no electrician lol
Not sure how to connect those to work with the headlights. If you go the same way as rich you just connect one end of the led's to a constant 12v source (you can use a add-a-circuit for that) and connect the other end to the switchable ground wire for the dome/map lights. That should be available under the dash

·
22,793 Posts
Rich, congratulations on getting your footwell led's fitted. I know you have been looking to get this done for a while.
You are giving me the incentive to get this done myself!!!
After I fit my new aluminum pedals:D
Hey, buddy! Thanks! I'm in lust with this mod. Everyone seeing it "oohs and ahh's" over the finished look. Having trouble getting my big head in the door and my swollen chest behind the wheel.

And you're right. It's been a long time coming. Part procrastination, part concern to do it perfect, simple, and complementing, the FIRST GO-A-ROUND! ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well, I'm not a "sparktrician," either. But you're on the right track using a multimeter. I used one on the map light circuit. Had to hold the leads on various wires as I closed the door. I was waiting for the timer to activate to turn the lights out. About 29 seconds. Meter was showing about 12.6 volts. When the map light dimmed, 0.00. I had my pigeon!
So you just put the multimeter where the wire plugs into the harness? If that is the case, I will play around with that tomorrow.

Not sure how to connect those to work with the headlights. If you go the same way as rich you just connect one end of the led's to a constant 12v source (you can use a add-a-circuit for that) and connect the other end to the switchable ground wire for the dome/map lights. That should be available under the dash
Well if that's the case I may look into doing it that way. I know Okie went above where the map lights are and down the a-pillar. I don't want to have to pull that out again. But saying it's under the dash, are you talking about in the fuse box area or under the dash/towards the the gas pedal area. I've read an old Sonata user connecting to a ground wire in that area.

·
22,793 Posts
There's a yellow wire BEHIND the fuse box, wrapped in a bundle of wires coming down the A-Pillar. You have to pull the side panel off the dash where the driver's door closes, remove and drop the fuse box and metal bracket, and the. Search the wire out up near the firewall. There's 2 yellow ones. Only way to be certain is with a meter and piercing the insulation. I started to go this direction. Popping the A-pillar is soooo much easier. You don't need to remove it, just pull it out a bit to get the circuit wires down.

HINT: Use 2 of the 4 wires inside a telephone line. Peel the insulation off and pick your favorite colors. This stuff is tiny and can fit (and hide) into the smallest of cracks/spaces.

·
Registered
808 Posts
And you're right. It's been a long time coming. Part procrastination, part concern to do it perfect, simple, and complementing, the FIRST GO-A-ROUND! ;)
I know what you mean, the need to get it "right first time" drives us to procrastination and over thinking.
Love those blue Led's, man they would go great with my blue overhead led's "starship enterprise" look
Did you use a multimeter with the "sharp" probes to pierce the insulation on the wires?

·
22,793 Posts
It's the Mate-N-Lock connector you disconnect. Place the probes in the open pin areas. I'll save you some time, here. There's two wires you want: BLACK, and YELLOW with Black Stripe. That's your circuit kids!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts