Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got married and my new wife can't drive stick so it looks like we will be shopping for a new All Wheel Drive SUV and trading in my trusty, low mileage (66,500!), and paid off 2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. Need the all wheel drive since I don't want to have to be driving her to work every time it snows here in Southern New England. I'll be getting her old car since I work from home (2002 Civic EX 112,000 miles ...yay )

We are looking at certified preowned 2010-2012 Santa Fe's mostly since there seems to be a lot of relatively low mileage ones for under 20k. One thing I'm not clear on, does the CPO program only include powertrain coverage? I've found conflicting info on the web about some comprehensive bumper to bumper coverage being included but Hyundai's site doesn't reference it. Any other specific things to be on the look out for with this generation of Santa Fe?

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You should be able to get a Limited 2011 less then 36K miles for 20K out the door. Factory bumper to bumper is 60K miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You should be able to get a Limited 2011 less then 36K miles for 20K out the door. Factory bumper to bumper is 60K miles.
Thanks so far haven't come across too many limiteds in my area, mostly GLS AWD. I'm still not sure on the factory bumper to bumper, this seems to imply it's not transferable and only the powertrain is.

Woops looks like I can't post links but if you go to the CPO site and click warranty it says this

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Reinstatment of the 10-Year / 100,000 Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty*†
24-hour Roadside Assistance for 10 years / Unlimited miles*
1st-Day rental car reimbursement for covered repairs up to $35/day for up to 10 days
Towing to the nearest Hyundai dealership, no cost cap applies
Travel breakdown reimbursement up to $100/day; $500 per occurrence
Repair at Authorized Hyundai Dealers
Find repair service nationwide through any authorized Hyundai dealership. Contact your local Hyundai dealer or call 1-800-633-5151 for details.

Genuine Hyundai Parts
Coverage ensures that any necessary replacement parts will be made using Genuine Hyundai new or Hyundai-approved parts.

* From original in-service date and zero (0) miles. †$50 deductible per repair visit applies.

Please read the CPO Powertrain Limited Warranty Provisions and the CPO Warranty Information & Owner's Handbook for complete conditions and exclusions.

Edit-looks like you're correct. They don't specifically spell it out because I guess it's understood but I've never purchased a used car before (only my car when it was new) so I guess I was overthinking it :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
For pricing reference, we picked up our '11 Limited CPO FWD V6 with 36,500 miles for about $21,500 out the door (after some negotiation). The dealership had a 2011 GLS V6 with about half the miles and $500 less.

I could have sworn the warranty on electronics (ex: radio) goes until 36k, but I can't find that info anywhere.

http://www.hyundaicertified.com/PDF/CPO-Powertrain-Limited-Warranty-Digital.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, must be a regional thing because even a FWD V6 limited is like 24k list around here. AWD being in much higher demand probably has a lot to do with it but I'm going to keep looking.

How are you liking it so far LeMansteve? My in laws have the prior generation Santa Fe and I've ridden in it and even it seems like a pretty nice vehicle so I can only imagine the 07-12 models are even nicer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In general my wife loves it (it is her DD). She loves the V6, heated "leather" seats, standard Bluetooth, flexible storage in the back and SUV ride height.

Overall I think it is an outstanding value and have no regrets. However, I think it could be a bit more refined in certain areas - seat bottoms are flat, dash is nice but looks dated, rear exterior design looks weird and has cheesy semi-clear tail light lenses, gauge cluster distance-to-empty does not update live, the doors don't have that solid "thunk" that my BMW has. The 3.5 V6 really has some guts! The Limited comes with 18" wheels, which look great but make the ride a bit choppy over rough surfaces. Handling is average, nothing spectacular. We sometimes have issues connecting our iPhone 4Ss to the radio and there is some low-volume hissing in the stereo system. The hiss annoys me but she doesn't care.

We were looking at 2011 CPO CRVs and RAV-4s but for practically the same money they were smaller and less powerful. Compared to the anemic 2011 CRVs, the gas mileage penalty is small for all the extra oomph you get with the 3.5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your thoughts, sounds like some minor issues but no deal breakers. Coming from my 04 Subaru (which I love but has a pretty lackluster interior) and her 02 Civic (which is a bit nicer than mine) I'm sure it would work out ok.

I thought I struck gold today and found a 2010 with Nav, Leather and Moonroof for under 17k. Inquired with the dealer and only then...did I realize it was FWD not AWD. D'oh!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Don't get too hung up on 'nav'. $100 annual (if annual) map updates, and not very fully featured. For the extra money it will cost you, you could buy several standalone units of higher quality with lifetime map subscriptions. LG isn't exactly a top tier player in that business.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One last thought - we found out the hard way that the car requires the proprietary Hyundai cable to connect an iPhone. It has the standard iPhone connector on one end and a combo USB/aux connector on the other end. Although there is a standard USB jack in the center console, the standard Apple USB cable won't work. Make sure they include it with the car, otherwise it is something like a $30-40 accessory.

We drove off the lot and tried to use our standard Apple USB cable, which wouldn't work. Turned right around and explained the problem to the salesman. He gave us the Hyundai cable and said something like "this one's on me". Yeah, whatever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts