Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-line, 2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross posted in Tucson forum. Looking at a 4000 mile round trip here in a few weeks and am torn between which to take. Just 2 of us so room is not a factor.

I think the N-line would actually get the better mileage as there won't be much city driving where the hybrid excels. Plus the N-line really loves the open road. However, I am a tiny bit concerned with the DCT issues as mine was manufactured in Feb. We will be going through some pretty remote stretches and of course if it were to act up it would be then. My wife thinks the hybrid is more comfortable though I'm on the fence about that. Both vehicles under 5k miles.

If you were in this situatiin, which would you choose?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The hybrid loses the regenerative advantage on the highway, but its engine is tuned for higher efficiency (Atkinson mode?) at the cost of power; the electric motor fills in the gap.
The Sonata is lower profile, so aerodynamics are better and it's more resistant to high speed rollover.
I would choose the Sonata. Although I bought the Tucson partly because it's easier for my wife to get in and out of than a low slung car.

Reactions: tarob

·
Registered
Stormy Sea 2021 Sonata N-Line
124 Posts
I would take take the N Line. Back in July I did a 1000 mile trip and the N Line made it a far more exciting trip.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
188 Posts
I would take the N-Line. Always good to do some spirited driving. My only concern would be road surface conditions on your trip. One pothole and those low profile tires are toast (already happened to me with my 18" wheels).

·
Registered
6 Posts
The DCT issues on the N-line seem concerning. Would make for a bad trip if you can't shift in the middle. I'd say stay away from N-line until they figure out if it is specific to some cars from a time period or more widespread. It is not a conventional transmission after all.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I would prefer my N Line but my family members would prefer that we take the other car (Atlas) due to it being slightly more comfortable. Well, at least I drive a bit slower in the SUV since it can't handle like the N Line and they like the ride height more. Tough for kids peering out the rear windows and they claim they get car sick when I drive the car long distances vs the Atlas. The driver in me would take the N Line, the dad in me would give up and take the SUV to make everyone else happy. I would not be concerned about reliability in either one, ****, the older hybrids (I used to own a trouble free nearly 80k mile '16 Sonata Limited PHEV) are the ones having engine and other issues at the moment.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-line, 2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would prefer my N Line but my family members would prefer that we take the other car (Atlas) due to it being slightly more comfortable. Well, at least I drive a bit slower in the SUV since it can't handle like the N Line and they like the ride height more. Tough for kids peering out the rear windows and they claim they get car sick when I drive the car long distances vs the Atlas. The driver in me would take the N Line, the dad in me would give up and take the SUV to make everyone else happy. I would not be concerned about reliability in either one, ****, the older hybrids (I used to own a trouble free nearly 80k mile '16 Sonata Limited PHEV) are the ones having engine and other issues at the moment.
Just the wife and I. Hadn't thought of it but this will be the first long trip without kids (all are in their 30's)!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts