Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just owned my 2013 HSH for a couple of days but I've noticed if I do need sharp acceleration there is a significant delay almost as if the car is thinking if it needs to downshift one, or two gears. Not sure if it is truly downshift related or what. Anyone have thoughts regarding this?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Its the car always wanting to start off in EV mode. It is not instantaneous acceleration like on a gasoline vehicle. Unfortunately it is something you will have to get used to. You may want to turn off bluedrive if you feel that you need to accelerate quicker; it does help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
With all the intelligence packed under the hood, the car should be able to determine when pedal is pressed very fast in a short time in order to bypass EV mode and kick into gasoline mode only. No regular driver under risky condition when sudden acceleration is needed will look for a bluedrive button to turn it off prior to pressing the pedal. Rationally, in a risky situation, there should be no more than one action only and fast. Just saying...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Personally, I find that if I disengage the traction control that there's less of a delay. It might just be my mind playing tricks on me, but I much prefer driving with Traction Control off anyway.

The look on peoples' faces when you burn a little rubber in your "slow" hybrid is priceless ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally, I find that if I disengage the traction control that there's less of a delay. It might just be my mind playing tricks on me, but I much prefer driving with Traction Control off anyway.
That's something I haven't even considered... will try.

The look on peoples' faces when you burn a little rubber in your "slow" hybrid is priceless ;)
Well, would be difficult for me when 10cm of snow on the ground :)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
My wife has a heavy foot and has burned rubber in Blue Drive many times since the ECU Update. No lag in acceleration with our car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is an alarming delay and does it even when I'm not in EV such as on the highway going up a hill and realize I need to pass a car. It's like when I press down the car says "what? oh, ok" before it downshifts. I will try the suggestions and mention it when I go back to the dealership

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is an alarming delay and does it even when I'm not in EV such as on the highway going up a hill and realize I need to pass a car. It's like when I press down the car says "what? oh, ok" before it downshifts. I will try the suggestions and mention it when I go back to the dealership
Would be interesting to know what you've learned.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That I agree with, however, this is my first hybrid and my only experience with one.

On the same note, I have not rented or test drove any other competitors hybrids. I also have not driven any other hybrid sonata other than my own. I personally don't know if all hybrids act similar or not. If so then technology has not caught up to making driving a hybrid a similar experience to that of a gasoline engine.

My flat out guess would be if any manufacturer has the most seamless transition to a gasoline engine or what have you it would be Toyota. They have been refining their hybrid technology for well more than a decade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I own a 2005 prius and a 2013 prius and neither have a delay like this. Honestly it feels like a delay in the transmission responding. Of course those do not have a traditional geared transmission. My other hybrid experience was owning a Honda CRZ manual transmission. Just doesn't seem like this should be normal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A little hard to keep up, isn't it? 2013's still exhibiting the death lag that was significantly reduced, and 2011's reflashed to act more like a 2013 (minus the updated hardware), and no death lag in some of those examples. Makes one really wonder where the truth lies. Of course my only basis for comparison was a 2012 with a "lemon law repurchase" branded title, so what would I know?

As somebody in the car business once told me, there's an ass for every seat. How true.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My Feb 2012 HSH has the same issue. When I stomp the peddle there is a 1-2 second lag. Still waiting for my dealership to get the newest update, hopefully that will fix it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know I have a bit of a delay as well but I'm also coming from a small bore turbocharged cuv and the delay feels no worse than that car and actually, kind of feels the same.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have really noticed no acceleration lag with my 2013. I would see it occasionally in my old 2011 (pre-update).
Thank you for this post (sorry I missed it the first time).
I may change for the 2013 also...haven't yet decided because I like the options/looks of the 2014 Santa Fe Limited too.
Any additional detail about the 2013 vs. the 2011 you care to add?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Any additional detail about the 2013 vs. the 2011 you care to add?
It drives like the 2011 in black mode+ extra responsiveness. I have been driving the 2013 since May and am averaging about 4mpg over the 2011 considering the same driving conditions. The updates to the Nav system are nice, but I think you can get the same software update for the 2011/2012 if you pay for it.

Basically it is the 2011 with a faster shifting transmission and stronger electric motor and batteries.

·
Registered
660 Posts
LOLOL! Funny you should say that HMV. I ordered some new ones just the other day. They should be here in time for the long weekend next week so that I can put them in! With 76k miles on the car I figured that it may be time to change them out. One of the auto websites says that the gap should be .032. Does this sound correct to anyone? I ordered them from RockAuto. They are the Denso 3479. They were $9.21 each.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts