Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I need some help. I have a 2013 Elantra GLS, with Push Start ignition.

Whenever I get out of my car for a few minutes, I keep the engine running, so what I do is, I keep the Smart Key inside the car, and remove the physical key trying to lock the doors from outside (I do this to keep the car cool from inside because the heat in my country is scorching!)...what I found recently is that as I do this, only the driver door gets locked, and all the other doors are still unlocked...I don't know if this is a fault or standard....Could you please share your views/suggestions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Possibly I misunderstand what you're saying .. but I believe the answer would be that " only the driver's door would lock with the key" .. Maybe someone else can clarify if that is not the case.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi All,

I need some help. I have a 2013 Elantra GLS, with Push Start ignition.

Whenever I get out of my car for a few minutes, I keep the engine running, so what I do is, I keep the Smart Key inside the car, and remove the physical key trying to lock the doors from outside (I do this to keep the car cool from inside because the heat in my country is scorching!)...what I found recently is that as I do this, only the driver door gets locked, and all the other doors are still unlocked...I don't know if this is a fault or standard....Could you please share your views/suggestions.
Will have to try that at work tomor. Can you lock the doors first with the main door switch, then when you open the door to get out only that door should open. Then lock the door from outside? Or will all doors lock with the driver door open from main switch? If so, as long as the smart key is in the vehicle they should stay locked when you close the door.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I dont know how this will work with the push button start, but with my turn key start and Autostart I can press button on remote while car is running. It will stay running and I can remove the key and lock all doors with remote. Just as if I started it with the auto start.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
If you have the auto-up drivers window, follow this procedure:

> Start car and lock all doors
> Open only the drivers door and roll down driver side window.
> Leave smart key hidden inside the car (i.e. in the console or other out-of-sight place)
> Remove the metal key blade from the smart key and exit the car.
> Reach in through the open window, hit the lock button and then the auto-up power window switch.

When the time comes to take off, unlock the door manually with the key blade, hop in and you're on your way.

·
Registered
952 Posts

> Leave smart key hidden inside the car (i.e. in the console or other out-of-sight place)
> Reach in through the open window, hit the lock button and then the auto-up power window switch.

When the time comes to take off, unlock the door manually with the key blade, hop in and you're on your way.
That sounds like it would work, just make sure to not forget about the the key blade. Even better have a extra made and keep on separate key chain.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Engine running...

Interesting... I know there is a tumbler in the drivers door only on my Sonata. Whether or not the key works, I don't know as I have never used it. I always push the fob to unlock the car. Wow, I never really thought about using the key. :confused:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
That sounds like it would work, just make sure to not forget about the the key blade. Even better have a extra made and keep on separate key chain.
It does work. I've done it several times when I've only driven a short distance and need to just run back into the house or the local market. I never leave it like that for more than a minute or if the car will be out of my sight.

Interesting... I know there is a tumbler in the drivers door only on my Sonata. Whether or not the key works, I don't know as I have never used it. I always push the fob to unlock the car. Wow, I never really thought about using the key. :confused:
There's no reason it shouldn't work. Try it if you're unsure, though...better to know now than when you need it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I believe this would work, have to do it carefully though. But it still isn't a NORMAL way to do it right? I mean there got to be a decent way to lock all doors without having to get your hand out from a closing window, or probably Hyundai doesn't want people to exit their cars with the engine running for security reasons. But in that case, the driver's door shouldn't get locked either with the metal key...Strange!

But I shall do the above steps definitely. Thanks so much! :)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
It's set up to keep people from locking their keys in the car so you have to devise ways of fooling it into thinking you're in the car.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That's very smart but I cannot imagine having such instructions in the owner's manual without a page of bold cautions and warnings about the dangers of pinching your fingers in the closing window ;)

·
22,788 Posts
That's very smart but I cannot imagine having such instructions in the owner's manual without a page of bold cautions and warnings about the dangers of pinching your fingers in the closing window ;)
Something like that finds its way into the manual and lawyers would be lined up for miles. While the rest of us are sitting back thinking, "Who would do something like that?" Who, Andrew? LMAO {messing with ya, son}}}

In all seriousness, someone that "doesn't" know how to pull their arm outta a raising window, that "THEY" activated, doesn't belong behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. :laughing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 Hyundai Tucson without a remote starter and have found a way to bypass its "safety unlocking feature" to be able to warm up the car with the doors locked, the car running and the keys inside… It may work on other years & models of Hyundai’s:
Simply hold the driver's door lock/unlock button in the lock position for 5 seconds - the locks will cycle from locked to unlocked a few times, but will eventually stay locked (while the car is running). Just be sure you have a spare set of keys handy before you close the door!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't have a Push Start but the way I do it is:

1. Open my door while the engine is running.

2. Lock all the doors. At this point, the driver's door will then unlock.

3. Close the door and then lock the driver's door manually with a spare key.

(I have a key/lock paranoia so I always carry a spare key on another ring as well as a flat spare key in my wallet.)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Has anyone ever tried that? I'm not brave enough to stick my fingers in there when the window/sunroof is closing.
Go ahead, and let us know how it turns out. ;)
I have tried my drive side window but not the sunroof. Passenger window does not have the safety feature i believe.

·
22,788 Posts
I'll take everyone's word for it. My reflexes aren't what they used to be. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts