Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 with keyless entry and I can see the key fob on the center console ledge above the cup holders. My doors are locked for some reason and the wife has the spare set 40 miles away already at work. I tried pushing the button on the driver & passenger door and the trunk release. Nothing happens. I just drove the car yesterday and everything was working fine. I thought the doors wouldn't lock with the fob inside the car, or at least unlock if the fob was inside...?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I couldn't get my '11 Ltd to Lock with the FOB on the seat (door handle Btn & arm rest Lock Btn).

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/roadside-assistance.aspx

Hyundai 800-243-7766 Road Svc onlne site shows LOCK-OUT COV incl'd (for 1st OWNER) and Cvg is 5 yrs Unlimited (+) Call Dealer in case they know a trick to try first.
When you call 1-800-243-7766 for Roadside Assistance, please provide the following:
  • Your Name
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) - located on the driver's side dashboard
  • Vehicle Mileage
  • Vehicle Location
  • Description of Your Vehicle's Problem
Good luck and report what the problem turned-out to be .

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but I'm the second owner. I will wait until the wife gets home with the spare set and I hope those work!

·
Registered
323 Posts
My guess would be the battery in the fob. If the battery is weak, the system might not detect the fob is nearby?

·
Registered
486 Posts
My guess would be the battery in the fob. If the battery is weak, the system might not detect the fob is nearby?
One of my early SWAG guesses. Don't fail to learn WHY you can Lock the FOB when inside the car.

'11 Manual Pg 4-11
1. Insert a slim tool into the opening and
gently pry open the rear cover of the
smart key.
2. Replace the battery with a new battery
(CR2032). When replacing the battery,
make sure the battery positive “+” symbol
faces up as indicated in the illustration.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a 2011 with keyless entry and I can see the key fob on the center console ledge above the cup holders. My doors are locked for some reason and the wife has the spare set 40 miles away already at work. I tried pushing the button on the driver & passenger door and the trunk release. Nothing happens. I just drove the car yesterday and everything was working fine. I thought the doors wouldn't lock with the fob inside the car, or at least unlock if the fob was inside...?
The range is very limited on the FOD (with regards to the push buttons on the door handles/trunk lid), they're four antennas used on the keyless entry, one on the driver's side, one on the passenger's side, one in the trunk and one behind the rear bumper. You may be just out of range with the keys on the center console especially if the battery is a little weak.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may be just out of range with the keys on the center console especially if the battery is a little weak.
This is what I'm thinking might be the problem. The signal just isn't close enough to the door button and the wife hit the lock button on the second fob while getting in her car this morning. I plan to do some testing with the fob in the car tonight and try and duplicate what happened.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, here is the scoop...you CAN lock your second set of keys in your car with the other fob & you must have the other fob to unlock the car. I tried locking each fob in the car with the other fob and you can only unlock the car with the exterior fob. I tried locking a set in the car using the door button and you can't lock the doors if only 1 fob is present. So in my case, my fob was in the car, the wife hit the lock button somehow while the spare was in her purse and drove off to work leaving me unable to open the doors even though my fob was in the car. don't believe me, try it :) This is not a very smart setup for a locking system.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've never been able to lock a fob in the car whenever the wife leaves her purse in there. It does however lock in the trunk. I just have to lock it with my fob button.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did you just try locking the doors with just the fob inside or lock it with the spare fob from the outside with the lock button on the fob?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Get the car open, go to Wal-Mart and visit the jewelry/watch display, grab a 2 pack of 2032 battery and change battery in them 3yr old remotes.

I dont like it when I get car with "intermittant black dash/dont see remote"
concern and it wrote up as warranty.. likely aged/weak battery in remote, and I get paid for 12 minute time (testing/replacing remote battery that is customer pay) ,,, add in the FREE 30+ to verify all is well that warranty not paying for because there is nothing wrong with materials-workmanship with car...

Todays car fits above (along with a few other I got stuck with).. test battery weak (tech discretion to numbers on Hyundai tester as there is no published values from Hyundai as to good battery/weak battery)..

Install new battery so I know remote has plenty of electric and able to transmit strong RF signal.. customer only left 1 remote.. I suppose they dont have a 2nd, or they dont use it, so battery not discharged like remote that is used constantly and battery used up.

GDS all modules for fault, no DTC recovered anywhere.. start car, works every time as tested randomly throughout the day.. No problem found, no warranty pay for the GDS and random testing, that be on my dime.. customer will be buying the battery for the remote though

Replace your remote batterys every couple year, them tiny wafer battery dont last forever.

Use your key once in a while in the cylinders to keep them loose and able to rotate.. they'll get stuck from lack of use... trunk latch is really bad offeder due to dirt back there.. had to rattle the key-cylinder on a Genisis to get trunk cylinder to rotate to unlock/open trunk..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I will replace battery in both units and re-test this weekend
With the windows down so you do not have an accident,, or remove the metal keys so you at least have ability to use key cylinder on the door in case of BOO-BOO

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good post about batteries. As a result I replaced the batteries in both our keyless remotes. Sonata is 42 months old and was due for new remote batteries.

Bob

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 2011 SE and this is what happens with mine.

I put my remote FOB in my pocket rolled down the drivers window and got in.

All doors lock when I push the lock on the FOB or when I push the lock on the arm rest.

If I reach out and push the lock button on the outside door handle (once) I get a long warning tone. If I push that same button two times consecutively I get the long warning tone then the door locks.

If I leave the FOB in the car, get out and push the lock button on the armrest then close the door the door unlocks.

This is how mine operates.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a 2011 SE and this is what happens with mine.

I put my remote FOB in my pocket rolled down the drivers window and got in.

All doors lock when I push the lock on the FOB or when I push the lock on the arm rest.

If I reach out and push the lock button on the outside door handle (once) I get a long warning tone. If I push that same button two times consecutively I get the long warning tone then the door locks.

If I leave the FOB in the car, get out and push the lock button on the armrest then close the door the door unlocks.

This is how mine operates.
If I only use one fob, I also get the long warning tone when trying to lock the doors with the fob inside.

In this post, I'm talking about one fob inside the car, locking the car with the spare fob then taking the spare fob out of range. The doors will not open by hitting the door handle botton to unlock even though a fob is in the car. I doubt it is battery related because I can hold the fob an arm lenght behind me and the car still gets the signal when hitting the door handle button...but I will replace the battery this weekend and see what happens.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If I only use one fob, I also get the long warning tone when trying to lock the doors with the fob inside.

In this post, I'm talking about one fob inside the car, locking the car with the spare fob then taking the spare fob out of range. The doors will not open by hitting the door handle botton to unlock even though a fob is in the car. I doubt it is battery related because I can hold the fob an arm lenght behind me and the car still gets the signal when hitting the door handle button...but I will replace the battery this weekend and see what happens.
It's not your battery. Apparently, it is possible to lock your keys in the car via a second fob. I put my 1st fob on the armrest, closed the door, hit the button on the door handle (to make sure proximity system realized key present). Got the warning tone that keys were present (and didn't lock). Grabbed second fob and hit the lock button (on fob). Doors locked. I made sure the second fob was out of range and approached vehicle. When pushing the door handle button, wouldn't unlock with first fob still in car. Second fob was required to unlock.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes, that is what happened. I think some people may have not read the first post correctly. This situation is using both fobs, not just one. :) For $5 I will buy a battery and test with a new battery just to rule it out, and have a new battery. Just something good to know in case it happens to somebody else.

It was just a fluke that the wife somehow hit the lock button in her purse before driving 40 miles away while I left my fob in the car the night before and got stuck being locked out. What luck I have lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts