Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I do every day, I stop by the mailbox near my house to pickup the mail on the way home. When I got to the mailbox, I went outside of car with
car running. I got the mail and tried to get back in the car and I see for some reason all the doors are locked.

However, I have my keyfob with me so I figured it's no problem and tried to unlock the door with the keyfob but no response from locks. I tried the handle button on both driver and passenger side and still no response.

Now, I am stuck outside of my running car with keyfob in my hand and no way to get in. I tried to open the trunk and it opens but no luck with door locks. I take the physical key out of my keyfob and tried to open it using the keyslot in the door but that does nothing.

So, I am stuck out there minutes trying to figure out what to do, I was thinking about calling hyundai bluelink my cellphone is in the car as well.

Anyway, after a few minutes of trying to open the door manually multiple times and not being sucessful, the car door unlocks by itself and now I am able to get back in.

Now I get my mail like this everyday and this is the first time this has happened to me. Have anyone run into something like this? If your car is running but doors locked, I would think you should be able to unlock your car but I was not able to so it's a mystery for me. I would be interested in hearing anyone's take on this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Sacchoe, that is a scary experience! It depicts that the Smart Key system of Hyundai Sonata is flawed. So next time you leave your car with its engine still running, you need to open your driver's side window so you can still open it from the inside lever door opener in case it locks again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
While the engine is running, the outside door lock buttons will do nothing, as they should.
(You wouldn't want a threatening person to just walk up to your car at a stoplight and just push the lock button to open the doors, would you?)

While the engine is running, pressing lock/unlock on your smartkey will do nothing, as it should.
(Try pushing any buttons on your smartkey while driving, they do nothing)

The strange part(s) of this story is:

(1) How did the doors lock with the engine running and the smartkey outside the vehicle?
(This should be impossible)

(2) Why on earth did your physical key not open the lock?

(3) Why, after a few minutes, did the doors just magically open all by themselves?

This all might make sense if you have an aftermarket remote start installed.
Do you?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Like I do every day, I stop by the mailbox near my house to pickup the mail on the way home. When I got to the mailbox, I went outside of car with car running. I got the mail and tried to get back in the car and I see for some reason all the doors are locked.
This is Hyundai secret anti-obesity/environment protection/anti-hijacking mode. It is supposed to teach you to:
- WALK
- Never leave car running - wasting gas, polluting environment
- Car did not recognize you so it locked doors thinking you are terrorist. Do you have hair style like idiot donald duck?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You used the fob ? I'll have to try that on my car.

Was there a door ajar that told the computer there was an unlocked door. I did have our SFS rear door lock go bad. So the car locked, but the lights did not blink. Finally found out when the wife opened that back door to get her pocketbook after locking the car. Fixed under warranty.

That key is how to lock the car when running, when you are legally able to do that, to warm it up the car. It should be a physical system, just in case the battery of the car of fob goes bad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You have a key on the fob ? What's the problem ?

That key is how to lock the car when running, when legally able to do to warm it up.
"I take the physical key out of my keyfob and tried to open it using the keyslot in the door but that does nothing."

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While the engine is running, the outside door lock buttons will do nothing, as they should.
(You wouldn't want a threatening person to just walk up to your car at a stoplight and just push the lock button to open the doors, would you?)

While the engine is running, pressing lock/unlock on your smartkey will do nothing, as it should.
(Try pushing any buttons on your smartkey while driving, they do nothing)

The strange part(s) of this story is:

(1) How did the doors lock with the engine running and the smartkey outside the vehicle?

(2) Why on earth did your physical key not open the lock?

(3) Why, after a few minutes, did the doors just magically open all by themselves?

This all might make sense if you have an aftermarket remote start installed.
Do you?
No, my car is factory stock and I agree that it should not be possible that car locked itself when I got out of the car to get the mail. I do this everyday, and this was the first time car locked itself.

And second, even if the car was locked, it should have opened the door when I tried opening using the physical key. I tried multiple times trying to open with physical key and it felt like there was no physical linkage between key and the door. I am thinking physical key is an also an electronic system and not mechanical mechanism.

Also, I still can't figure out why door unlocked by itself after stranding outside for like 5 mins.

I think with this happening I will either have to open my window before stepping out of my car or leave the door open when picking up my mail.

BTW, my car is a plug in model so there really is no engine running when I have the car running so not really wasting gas or polluting and it only takes 30 seconds to get my mail.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Can I bet money that you have BlueLink enabled to remote start/lock/unlock the car? I have seen this before where the vehicle is locked via the BlueLink app while running, and can only be unlocked via the BlueLink app. Fob won't work, key won't work, only the app will unlock the car, and the engine must be turned off first.

Now, assuming you didn't accidently lock your running car with the BlueLink app, and it later unlocked on its own, I would wonder if a BlueLink update occurred while you were getting your mail and the system was temporarily offline.

But I have seen this on my 2014 Elantra GT. We had to leave the vehicle for a few minutes during the summer in Texas with our little pooch inside. The vehicle was within view the entire time, so I started the locked car with the BL app. When we came back to the car we could not unlock the door with the push button, with the fob, or with the key. I had to use the app to turn off the engine first, then to unlock the door.

Can you say software bug??? I would have thought the car would see the fob outside the car and enable the handle button.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Do you have an alarm system, other then factory ?

I tried locking the door with the door open and car running, nope.
I tried opening the door while running when my wife was inside and locked from inside. The door knob would not work, used the key and it opened.
Did you try both front doors ?
I tried opening the door with the car off, with the key. It worked, lights flashed.

Did you have your car is drive when you got out ?

I'll have to try tomorrow in my EV mode. I'll try the app too. Very strange.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Do you have an alarm system, other than factory?

I tried locking the door with the door open and car running, nope.
I tried opening the door while running when my wife was inside and locked from inside. The door knob would not work, used the key and it opened.
Did you try both front doors?
I tried opening the door with the car off, with the key. It worked, lights flashed.

Did you have your car is drive when you got out?

I'll have to try tomorrow in my EV mode. I'll try the app too. Very strange.
Already answered...all stock! :whistling:

·
Registered
163 Posts
...I tried multiple times trying to open with physical key and it felt like there was no physical linkage between key and the door. I am thinking physical key is an also an electronic system and not mechanical mechanism...
Not true. There is an electric switch, that allows you to lock and unlock all doors with the key, but if you turn the key further the mechanical linkage comes into play and mechanically unlocks the driver's door. This way, the door lock works when the car battery is dead.
If yours really does not work mechanically, then it is broken and needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Not true. There is an electric switch, that allows you to lock and unlock all doors with the key, but if you turn the key further the mechanical linkage comes into play and mechanically unlocks the driver's door. This way, the door lock works when the car battery is dead.
If yours really does not work mechanically, then it is broken and needs to be fixed.
If the car is in "protect" mode, the physical key will not work. When you try to unlock the lock cylinder, the solenoid immediately re-locks. If the battery is dead, yes you can key unlock. But not if the solenoid has power.

Tried that with the above mentioned issue on the Elantra GT. Sometimes with these cars I feel like I'm dealing with HAL in 2001 Space Odyssey ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I turned the physical key end to end in both directions multiple times and did not feel anything engage.

I still think it was electronically locked out and you can't override manually.

This brings up the point of most cars being controlled electronically for all their functions and if electronic malfunctions you are SOL and there is no manual way to fix it.
I

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I bet money that you have BlueLink enabled to remote start/lock/unlock the car? I have seen this before where the vehicle is locked via the BlueLink app while running, and can only be unlocked via the BlueLink app. Fob won't work, key won't work, only the app will unlock the car, and the engine must be turned off first.

Now, assuming you didn't accidently lock your running car with the BlueLink app, and it later unlocked on its own, I would wonder if a BlueLink update occurred while you were getting your mail and the system was temporarily offline.

But I have seen this on my 2014 Elantra GT. We had to leave the vehicle for a few minutes during the summer in Texas with our little pooch inside. The vehicle was within view the entire time, so I started the locked car with the BL app. When we came back to the car we could not unlock the door with the push button, with the fob, or with the key. I had to use the app to turn off the engine first, then to unlock the door.

Can you say software bug??? I would have thought the car would see the fob outside the car and enable the handle button.
It's not the bluelink as only bluelink option I have for my car is battery charging function. I don't have ability to lock/unlock start/stop using bluelink.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Could it be you have auto lock set to shift and you have a failing sensor that makes the car think you shift the car causing it to lock?
You can change the default setting to lock the doors at 7.5mph instead of shift locking/unlock.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
It's not the bluelink as only bluelink option I have for my car is battery charging function. I don't have ability to lock/unlock start/stop using bluelink.

Don't know what the battery charging function is in BL, but if you don't have remote start/remote lock enabled, I got nothing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could it be you have auto lock set to shift and you have a failing sensor that makes the car think you shift the car causing it to lock?
I suppose that could be a possibility. If that is the case, I should change this setting so door locks when car is at speed rather than shifting out of park.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't know what the battery charging function is in BL, but if you don't have remote start/remote lock enabled, I got nothing.
I have a plug-in Sonata meaning it's an electric car and needs to be charged. Bluelink provides charging function for plugins.

·
Registered
214 Posts

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

I have Sonata 2016 without any BL enabled. The doors are set to unlock when the gear is in Park and to lock when it is in gear.
Every so often I have the following situation: I stop the engine, exit my door, and the passenger doors are locked (I haven't figured out if the driver's door was/is locked). So far, I cannot trace when and how that happens.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts