Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a search and couldn't find the answer, although I assume it's been asked before. I have a 2018 Sante Fe XL. First time with a keyless entry/start vehicle. Is there any way to leave the car running and lock the doors? From searching the internet it seems this is the norm, but wasn't sure if there is a way around it? It doesn't seem right to me that it would be a fixed program. I can see people not wanting to lock their keys in the vehicle, and I understand that the car is supposed to stop once the break is applied if the keys are there to prevent a theft.

But there is so many other situations where I want to lock the doors and leave it running. The first thing I thought of was my wife and the even someone was trying to hijack her. If she is in the car and tries to lock the intruder out, she can't! The door will just keep unlocking. The other situation that I just ran into is having my pet in the vehicle (this is a touchy subject with some) and needing to run into the store. I typically leave the car running and turn up the AC, and crack the windows just in case. But I couldn't do that. I do have auto start, but I believe it only runs for like 6min and then stops. And I only have a one-way fob so if I try and restart in 7mins I don't know if it actually started again, and my pet could then be in a hot car. And the 3rd situation is that we live in Canada so leaving your car running while you run into a store is normal. If I leave it running then I have to worry about someone not only trying to steal the car but helping themselves to whatever they want in the car because it would be unlocked.

I am just shocked that there wouldn't be an open to turn off the "feature". Is there?

·
Registered
842 Posts
We did this a while back for our 2014, also for dogs in the car (we were in a patio area of a restaurant within sight of the car also). If I remember correctly, I used the BlueLink app to lock the doors with it running. I did have to use the key inside the FOB to open the doors because the remote would not do it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Shut the engine off, exit vehicle use the remote start to start the engine the doors should automatically lock, I live in Canada also and do not find leaving your car running while you are in a store normal.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Most of the time doors have to be locked before the remote start can be used, but that method will work although it does require turning the engine off first. Using the back up key to lock the driver's door is one way. If more than one person exits that process can be a bit more difficult as you may have to manually lock the other doors then lock the driver's door.

If you have Bluelink you can both lock and unlock the doors with the engine running. I do that often to leave the engine running to power a light bar and side strobes when at an incident. It seems like Bluelink responds faster and lock and unlocks much faster when the engine is running as opposed to doing an unlock in your driveway to put something in the car when you do not have the keys. I do always make sure that it is locked before I walk away and keep in mind that someone could still bypass that locked door in about 5 seconds and drive until they turn the engine off.....Not much of a problem for me with all of the LEOs around :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I never thought of using the actual key, so I'll have to try that. Yes Good Buy, on a day to day thing it isn't a problem but I travel often with the family and dogs. On a 6 hour trip it's nice to take a break and go into a store (toys store for the kids, Costco, etc.) that isn't in our small town and take a break. So then I'm kind of screwed. And because we are travelling we have suitcases, camera bags, laptop bags, movie player and kids, ipods, etc. etc. just sitting in the car and ready for someone to take, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts