Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of us are paranoid about locking the doors. I was used to lock through the key fob, then listen to the click, then lights blink, etc...
A much easier way, if you ride in solo, is to keep the doors locked when driving (it can be set to automatically lock by the dealer).
When you get to your destination push the lock from inside after you open the door. It is right there in your way right after you have used the interior door opener.
Once you get off, close the door and just look at the lights, if they blink then you are positive it has locked. No need to use the key fob nor listen to the horn confirmation...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Sounds like your '07 operates somewhat differently than my '08. When I press the fob once, the lights blink (same confirmation as you're using without the fob). It isn't until I hit it a 2nd time soon thereafter that the horn beeps.

The advantage to using the fob is that you'll never remember (too late) that your keys are laying in the passenger seat where you were fumbling with something before you got out of the car.. and locked it manually.

A couple of other interesting things I notice on mine (which the manual would no doubt have told me if I'd looked): if you leave the keys in the ignition and hit the manual lock button on the door, the locks unlock again immediately. It's trying not to let you lock your keys in the car. The other (and better known) thing is that if you use the fob to unlock, but don't open any door on the car for 30 seconds or so, the locks will relock themselves.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (canderson @ Nov 5 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369248
Sounds like your '07 operates somewhat differently than my '08. When I press the fob once, the lights blink (same confirmation as you're using without the fob). It isn't until I hit it a 2nd time soon thereafter that the horn beeps.
The advantage to using the fob is that you'll never remember (too late) that your keys are laying in the passenger seat where you were fumbling with something before you got out of the car.. and locked it manually.
Sorry, I was not clear. My '07 works exactly like your '08 model: two clicks on the fob to have it horn. I am just saying that the blinking lights is sufficient confirmation that doors are locked.
Well, I find it easy to remember to hold the keys in the other hand when locking from inside.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (canderson @ Nov 5 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369248
A couple of other interesting things I notice on mine (which the manual would no doubt have told me if I'd looked): if you leave the keys in the ignition and hit the manual lock button on the door, the locks unlock again immediately. It's trying not to let you lock your keys in the car.
This is really interesting, I will try it on mine as soon as I get at home. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (angelo @ Nov 5 2010, 02:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369294
Well, I find it easy to remember to hold the keys in the other hand when locking from inside.
99+% of the time, that's how we all do it. It's that time when you need to get something out of the car, or grab something from the floor in front of the passenger seat, or ... and you have to let go of the keys long enough to do whatever that is ... and then you manually lock the door. That's how most lockouts happen these days.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (angelo @ Nov 5 2010, 01:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369246
No need to use the key fob nor listen to the horn confirmation...
Sometimes I use the lights, other times the horn. It all depends on whether or not my neighbour fired up his shop vac at 7am that morning. :thumbsup:

@ azjerry: If you press "unlock" on the remote but don't open the car, the doors will self-lock a minute later. Could this be causing your phantom locks?

·
Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Nov 6 2010, 03:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369441
@ azjerry: If you press "unlock" on the remote but don't open the car, the doors will self-lock a minute later. Could this be causing your phantom locks?
I don't think so. I never lock the car in my garage. Yet when I come out to the garage the car will occasionally be locked. The only thing I can think of is that I somehow manage to lock it by mistake while I'm in the house. But even that doesn't make sense since I barely get 20 or 25 feet of range when outside in the clear. :unsure:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (azjerry @ Nov 5 2010, 09:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369255
Now if I could only figure why the doors are occasionally locked when I go out to the garage. :unsure:
This happens all the time with my dad's Acura and on occasion with the Santa Fe. I think the button gets bumped in your pocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (azjerry @ Nov 5 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369255
Now if I could only figure why the doors are occasionally locked when I go out to the garage. :unsure:
I too experience this locked door phenomenon. Some mornings the Santa Fe is locked up tight, other mornings it's not. One time I was in the driveway washing the wheels on my truck and I heard a vehicle lock. I thought it was my truck because I had the truck keys in my pocket, nope, it was the Santa Fe. This problem isn't consistent so I haven't taken it to the dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
QUOTE (angelo @ Nov 5 2010, 10:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369246
Some of us are paranoid about locking the doors........
Not just locking the doors but the double click (and horn confirm) that the immobilizer is set. I've locked and unlocked the car accidentally just grabbing the keys from the hall table--and that's two floors above the garage through one wood, one concrete floors.

I'm also paranoid about locking myself out. Done it three times in my life, embarassing, time-consuming, expensive. Now I have the second fob taped under the back bumper and the second key hidden inside.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know my Santa Fe locks itself quite often. The button in my pocket gets pushed. It has happened several times when I am in the garage.

I also carry a key in a magnetic box under the car. I haven't had to use it for being locked out but I do use it when I am kayaking.
I leave my keys in the car so I don't have to worry about loosing them.
Also if I was to get into trouble on the water I could tell someone where the key is if needed.
However, I find it best to keep dry and stay in the kayak. Otherwise I would just go swimming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (Oakman @ Nov 10 2010, 01:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370558
I too experience this locked door phenomenon. Some mornings the Santa Fe is locked up tight, other mornings it's not. One time I was in the driveway washing the wheels on my truck and I heard a vehicle lock. I thought it was my truck because I had the truck keys in my pocket, nope, it was the Santa Fe. This problem isn't consistent so I haven't taken it to the dealer to check it out.
I don't know if this is your issue but by design the 09 Santa Fe (Sonata too) will lock the door after about a minute (maybe 30 seconds) if you press the unlock button on the fob and don't open a door. I find it a nice feature because it pretty much means my doors will lock whatever button I press except for the alarm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts