Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day good folks,

Last night I purchased a more advanced OBD2 reader than my plain Innova 3030 that simply reads the codes.

This one is the Innova 3130, bought it mainly for the live data reader, and the EVAP test which it now states is not even supported.

Anywho, below are my readings from today. I can't really understand much other than the pretty straight forward ones. Can anyone tell me whereabouts between each reading should typically be around, and what in my case is raising any flags, and what the issue may be?

November 22, 2013 @ 3:41PM
2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE GLS 2.7L V6

Fuel Sys 1: CL
Fuel Sys 2: CL
Calc Load(%): 11.8
ECT(°F): 199
STFT B1(%): 3.1
LTFT B1(%): -14.8
STFT B2(%): 5.5
LTFT B2(%): -10.9
Eng RPM: 703
Veh Speed(mph): 0
Spark Adv(°): 11.5
IAT(°F): 131
MAF(lb/min): 0.3
TPS(%): 6.7
O2SLoc B1S12__ B2S12__
O2S B1 S1(V): 0.800
STFT B1 S1(%): 0.0
O2S B1 S2(V): 0.450
STFT B1 S2(%): 99.2
O2S B2 S1(V) 0.095
STFT B2 S1(%): 7.0
O2S B2 S2(V): 0.430
STFT B2 S2(%): 99.2
OBDSup: OBD2

Only thing I understand that seems off is the TPS %, it's at 6.7% when I believe it should be at 0% (gas pedal isn't being touched at all), and the highest it went when pressing the gas pedal all the way to the bottom with the car off was about 87% or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Want to learn how to use and understand these readings otherwise this was a waste of $225. Want to also use it on several other vehicles but again, useless if I don't understand the readings and where they should be at.

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And what does it mean when certain icons on the "I/M Monitoring Status" like "EGR", "02S" and "CAT", etc. are blinking? Not blinking on the SF but a bunch blink on my Cougar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fuel Sys 1: CL -> running in closed loop, cylinder bank 1
Fuel Sys 2: CL -> running in closed loop, cylinder bank 2
Calc Load(%): 11.8 -> load on the engine
ECT(°F): 199 -> engine coolant temperature
STFT B1(%): 3.1 -> short term fuel trim, bank 1
LTFT B1(%): -14.8 -> long term fuel trim, bank 1
STFT B2(%): 5.5 -> short term fuel trim, bank 2
LTFT B2(%): -10.9 -> long term fuel trim, bank 2
Eng RPM: 703 -> engine rpm
Veh Speed(mph): 0
Spark Adv(°): 11.5
IAT(°F): 131 -> intake air temperature
MAF(lb/min): 0.3 -> mass air flow
TPS(%): 6.7 -> throttle position sensor
O2SLoc B1S12__ B2S12__
O2S B1 S1(V): 0.800 -> O2 sensor bank 1, upstream (before CAT)
STFT B1 S1(%): 0.0
O2S B1 S2(V): 0.450 -> O2 sensor bank 1, downstream (after CAT)
STFT B1 S2(%): 99.2
O2S B2 S1(V) 0.095 -> O2 sensor bank 2, upstream
STFT B2 S1(%): 7.0
O2S B2 S2(V): 0.430 -> O2 sensor bank2, downstream
STFT B2 S2(%): 99.2
OBDSup: OBD2

Numbers look similar to mine. I have a 2004 Santa Fe 2.7L auto. Your long term fuel trims are higher than mine, but still in spec. The downstream O2 readings of 0.430 shows that the CATs are not yet lit. That is they are not up to temperature yet and when they are those numbers should drop. The upstream O2 numbers will bounce a lot from high to low so that looks good. My throttle position sensor is similar to yours - 6.7 to 85 or so seems to be normal. If you have no codes then you have nothing to worry about, IMO. A good book to learn more is the Haynes OBD-II book. Your code reader should have a manual or point you to one online.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And what does it mean when certain icons on the "I/M Monitoring Status" like "EGR", "02S" and "CAT", etc. are blinking? Not blinking on the SF but a bunch blink on my Cougar.
I/M, is inspection & maintenance of the emission controls. There are three possibilities for each status: 1) ready, 2) not ready, and 3) not applicable. Blinking might mean not ready or not applicable - probably not ready. Both code readers I have will spell it out for me. BTW, the 2.7L engine does not have an EGR (exhaust gas re-circulation), so that would be a not applicable for the Santa Fe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jdwatton - thanks a bunch! Appreciate the info. Glad it seems all is fine, just wanted some reassurance of that. Yeah I plan on purchasing the Haynes repair manual for my vehicle and may as we'll pick up the obd2 manual you mentioned.

Thanks again! Not sure if it'll change much but will post new readings that I'll take after I get the PCM/TCM updates from Hyundai tomorrow

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am interested in your experience with the PCM/TCM updates, including the cost. I haven't been able to pass emissions because my I/M is not ready (O2S, HO2S, & CAT are not ready), and yet no codes. I read somewhere that an update to the PCM might help my situation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from Nissan, $485 and 4 hours later.

Nissan charged me $160 for the PCM/TCM update on the '04 Maxima 3.5L SE. There were six ECU updates, and two TCM updates.

I know there's an update for ours at Hyundai because sbr711 stated so in an earlier thread. An update for the PCM to fix hesitation, and an update for the TCM for better shift feel. Not sure when the last time mine was updated by previous owner, if ever, but I do feel the hesitation and the shifting could use improvement so I'm going to get it done tomorrow. Will update with info on the updates, release dates, cost, time, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am interested in your experience with the PCM/TCM updates, including the cost. I haven't been able to pass emissions because my I/M is not ready (O2S, HO2S, & CAT are not ready), and yet no codes. I read somewhere that an update to the PCM might help my situation.
Planning on visiting Hyundai tomorrow to inquire about the latest ECU/TCM updates and apply them. Nissan charged me $160 for this today, there were 6 updates for the engine, 2 for the tranny. Hyundai should charge about the same give or take. I'll let you know whatever I can find out; release dates, versions, cost, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, for what I am seeing, you have a potential issue with either a slightly leaky fuel pressure regulator, an air filter that needs to be changed or possibly a dirty MAF sensor, or all of the above. Negative long term fuel trim readings should be as close to zero at all times. Double digit numbers means the computer is compensating for something that is slightly out of whack. Negative numbers mean it's pulling fuel from the injectors because it's seeing a rich burn at the upstream O2 sensors. My wife's 'Fe has higher numbers as well, but she also has a higher load rating at idle as you do, which could factor into it. I can't seem to find anything specific that addresses a load over 5% at idle in park as to the cause. Our Explorer would report a 12-15% load at idle, my Astro shows 5% or less, as well as 0 for my TPS. I'm not sure how this plays into the readings.

What kind of mileage are you experiencing with yours? We've been averaging around 17+ mpg with our 05 with the 3.5L.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts