Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed some noise (whisle) around the timing belt at startup and when I'm driving at low speed.
I'm pretty sure its the timing belt or chain i heard my 09 has chain...

should I take time to go see my dealer ?

thank you

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Jonathan82 @ Jun 27 2010, 04:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336606
I recently noticed some noise (whisle) around the timing belt at startup and when I'm driving at low speed.
I'm pretty sure its the timing belt or chain i heard my 09 has chain...

should I take time to go see my dealer ?

thank you
Yes, your 3.3 has a chain. However, there's a lot of hardware up on that end, and you could be hearing any number of other things, several of which are more likely to cause a "whistle". That's not something you'll hear from a timing chain - only the bearings on a tensioner.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Might be a bit of induction noise. Check that your air filter is properly seated and the box tightly closed.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
SBR711 wins because a picture is worth a thousand words.
However Canderson wins an honorable mention.
And I win an ice cream cone....just because.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Jonathan82 @ Aug 30 2010, 02:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353070
**UPDATE**

Finally the noise is still there so I went back at another Hyundai even closer to my house. They ordered the AC compressor clutch; they said that is probably what is making the noise...We'll see...
I'm assuming you don't own a specialized tool for the job. Some of the old tricks still work. If you can get a long handled screwdriver down on the housing, hold the tip to the compressor body and stick the handle in your ear. Exercise care -- there's a lot of moving belt to get involved with. OK. Can you hear me now? :57: If not, move on to other likely suspects like the alternator, etc. If it's one of the peripheral gadgets that are hung on the outside of your engine, it should become apparent very quickly. The bearings in these shouldn't produce what I'd call a "whistle", but that's a pretty subjective word.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts