Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Santa Fe LTD AWD with Nav purchased in May 2010. When I am parked, waiting for wife/daughters and listening to the radio, I recieve a warning at about 5 minutes, saying I should shut off the system or start the car to prevent battery damage. Does the nav system consume so much power that the engine has to be running to maintain its' operation?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Think about what's going on there in the big picture.
Many speakers pumping sound, LCD display with backlights, motor turning the DVD, antenna power and sat system receiving and interpreting signals.
The battery in the vehicle is pretty big yes, but you also need peak voltage for the engine cranking at start up.
It's not so much that the sat-nav.ent system is drawing so much power, but how it is draining the battery slowly which could leave you with that odd clickity - clickity - clickity sound when you try to start the engine.
Depending on your battery's condition, you might well be able to go a fairly long time beyond the 5 minutes and never have an issue. The warning is probably more a reminder that you are draining the battery, and seems like good functionality to me.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Modern cars have a TON of computers, too and those consume lots of power. My dad has an Acura RL with enough computer power to launch, land, and bring home the space shuttle. I once left the ignition in the ON position for about 20 minutes and it was sluggish to turn over. Meanwhile my Santa Fe can be left in accessory for hours and will start right up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts