Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. I'm so glad this forum is here, I've spent the last few days compiling a list of Modifications I'd like to get done to my 09 GLS

Starting with this.

I just ordered Stainless Nerf bars from ebay HERE

I plan on Tinting the Front windows to match the rest (Illegal here, but rarely enforced)

The interior will get LED Map/Center/Luggage Lights. (Still sourcing the best place to buy these) KIA seems to be the most "made for the santafe" instead of ebay generic.

Finally I plan on upgrading the Stock 16" wheels with some Aftermarket 18" Wheels with 255/55/18 Tires. I thought about 20's but I don't think the ride quality will be there anymore.

There are far too many choices for Wheels out there. Does anyone have any ideas on some that would look great? I"m thinking something in a Gunmetal with Polished Lip..

:banana:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Already tinted the front windows to match the back on my Santy LTD (pearl white)

I don't like nerf bars :whistling:

Also did the LED for the cargo and dome lights (bluish tint from FleaBay), and I did my map lights, but they're whiter and I think I'll just toss them all and get better. I DO want a slight blue tint though. If/when you're ready I can explain how to remove the map lights if you have a sunroof (not too hard).

This is what I'm looking at for my Santy... 18x7.5 or 8's w/ a235/60 or 255/55
http://www.euromaxwheel.com/euromax_016.php

I'll get them shipped up to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg from the States and then go get them (I'm not paying $300.00 plus for cross-border shipping)

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
13 Posts
make sure you get that bumper guard painted same color as the truck. i have it and i love the new look it gives the front end, fills in that dark void area in the lower center and because its the same color it looks factory. I'll see if i can get a picture or two up for ya.

other mods i've done, just in case your looking for some ideas:
HID lights 5000k
weathertech in-channel side window shades
front bug shield
kenwood 8210 head unit (gps,sirius,dvd,ipod,bt w/steering wheel control)
back bumper reflectors replaced with LED lighted ones (tail/brake)
Backup camera connected to head unit
hidden hitch trailer hitch
converted key and remote to switchblade keyfob.
headlight protective film, which i havent put on yet cause its been too **** cold.

last thing im waiting on is to get hold of the mobis running boards which have become very hard to find in the states.

let me know if you want to see pics of anything in particular
Glen

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I am over 40 so take this for what it's worth, but I snicker every time I see rust-o-matic basher bars or stick-on plastic bumper trim on a Santa Fe. It's a Sonata on stilts, for cryin' out loud, not a Hummer. It's not even a Hummer wannabe.

My mods are limited to smoked license plate frames, bug deflector (gives the headlights some much-needed eyebrows IMO), trailer hitch and my youngest daughter's bead bracelet that she made in Grade Three hanging from the rear view mirror.

If you're interested in throwing serious money away on something that won't have any value in ten years, there are threads elsewhere in this forum showing off some rims as well as bumper & grille kits that are actually quite nice*. They look factory-original, only different. They way I see it, if you're going to waste money it might as well be on something tasteful. :57:

* See trajetXG's photo above for an example. And I'm not just saying that because he can banish me from the forum :innocent:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (wjw @ May 13 2010, 07:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322471
If/when you're ready I can explain how to remove the map lights if you have a sunroof (not too hard).
Getting the bezel/lens assy off was the easy part. Trying to convince those blasted bulbs to allow themselves to be removed in that tight space was another thing altogether. Did you find an easier way to do that?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (erider81 @ May 13 2010, 03:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322560
make sure you get that bumper guard painted same color as the truck. i have it and i love the new look it gives the front end, fills in that dark void area in the lower center and because its the same color it looks factory. I'll see if i can get a picture or two up for ya.
I'd love to see your bumperguards body colored. I never even considered it. as I actually like the Grey, but I'm sure it'd look way nicer color matched.

QUOTE (Don67 @ May 13 2010, 10:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322672
I am over 40 so take this for what it's worth, but I snicker every time I see rust-o-matic basher bars or stick-on plastic bumper trim on a Santa Fe. It's a Sonata on stilts, for cryin' out loud, not a Hummer. It's not even a Hummer wannabe.

* See trajetXG's photo above for an example. And I'm not just saying that because he can banish me from the forum :innocent:
I've seen many Santa Fe's with the Nerf Bars, and they, in my opinion look great. and with my wife being a shorty with a newborn as well the steps will actually be useful.

I don't plan on going crazy with body kits and the like but when I drive around and see at least 3-5 Santa Fe's on my way home from work every day, I don't mind standing out a bit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Getting the bezel/lens assy off was the easy part. Trying to convince those blasted bulbs to allow themselves to be removed in that tight space was another thing altogether. Did you find an easier way to do that?
Yup...
I'm not sure if you have the same as me (I'm typing on an old Pentium 2 at work as I type this and it doesn't allow me to browse too easily) so I'm basing this on an LTD w/ a sunroof and a glasses holder just towards the windshield of the sunroof button.

Open the glasses holder and take out the two phillips screws.

2. The front will fall down slightly. Pull down some more and slowly bring the entire unit towards the front (windshield) while wiggling back and forth.

3. The entire unit is now loosely hanging by some wires. You can pop the connectors off if you want and take the entire thing down.

4. You can now see the entire guts of the unit. Change the lights (self explanatory once you see it) and pop the connector wiring back in (if you took it off).

5. IMPORTANT>>> While sliding the unit back into place, use a dull butter knife to "help" the roof fabric back under the lip of the unit by sliding the knife back and forth and tucking it into the lip of the plastic unit.

The first time I did this it took me 10 minutes. I could realistically do it on 2 or 3 now.

PS you don't have to take the plastic lenses off from thwe bottom.
Pics tomorrow once I get home

Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wjw,

You said you got your LED's from Ebay?
I'm hoping to find a bright white set and not so much a blue led set...

Anxious to see pics, and thanks for the instructions, I was convinced by looking that I'd need to take the plastic lenses off.
Glad I haven't persued that yet.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (wjw @ May 14 2010, 10:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322856
Yup...
I'm not sure if you have the same as me (I'm typing on an old Pentium 2 at work as I type this and it doesn't allow me to browse too easily) so I'm basing this on an LTD w/ a sunroof and a glasses holder just towards the windshield of the sunroof button.

Nuts. Fail. I've got the Bluetooth assembly up there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (quickdrive @ May 14 2010, 02:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322880
wjw,

You said you got your LED's from Ebay?
I'm hoping to find a bright white set and not so much a blue led set...
I've gone through Ebay ("Automotiveapple" from asia) and Maple125 (from Canada) and haven't found anything bright enough yet for me. What I did on Thursday (don't laugh) was got a 24 led dome light plugin from Canadian Tire for $20 and it blows the other dome light I bought from Asia away.
The map light is a different story. It's VERY directional up there. PITA actually.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Au...k.jsp?locale=en
CT link...

PS I still want blue. I'm looking for a blue translucent film to put in the dome/cargo/map lights to turn the white led's more blue

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (erider81 @ May 13 2010, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322560

other mods i've done, just in case your looking for some ideas:
HID lights 5000k
weathertech in-channel side window shades
front bug shield
kenwood 8210 head unit (gps,sirius,dvd,ipod,bt w/steering wheel control)
back bumper reflectors replaced with LED lighted ones (tail/brake)
Backup camera connected to head unit
hidden hitch trailer hitch
converted key and remote to switchblade keyfob.
headlight protective film, which i havent put on yet cause its been too **** cold.

last thing im waiting on is to get hold of the mobis running boards which have become very hard to find in the states.

let me know if you want to see pics of anything in particular
Glen
Hi,
Was just reading your post and saw that you converted your key and remote to a switchblade type. I too would like to do this but can only find housings suitable for pre- 2006 models. I live in the UK so am unsure whether the parts would be available for me but any help would be appreciated.

Adam

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE (bacardigold @ Jun 7 2010, 06:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330670
Hi,
Was just reading your post and saw that you converted your key and remote to a switchblade type. I too would like to do this but can only find housings suitable for pre- 2006 models. I live in the UK so am unsure whether the parts would be available for me but any help would be appreciated.

Adam
i got mine from a guy on ebay in japan. you have to look at the pictures and make sure its the same button layout as your current remote. even still it wouldnt fit exactly into the new fob and basically i ended up using electrical tape to connect the battery to the board then just placed the unit into the new fob, been working fine. the guy i bought it form suggested soldiering it but i took the easy way out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not tryin' to bug ya, but pics??? I'm thinking about painting the horizontal black piece by the front licence (original) the same white as my Santy but would like some visuals if you don't mind...

QUOTE (erider81 @ May 13 2010, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322560

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I found the wheels I'm getting.

They're Fast Group A's
18*8.5
Fitting them with Pirelli Scorpion Zero in 255/55/18

Did a really mediocre Photoshop to see what they'd look like

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
QUOTE (wjw @ May 14 2010, 11:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322856
Yup...

2. The front will fall down slightly. Pull down some more and slowly bring the entire unit towards the front (windshield) while wiggling back and forth.

3. The entire unit is now loosely hanging by some wires. You can pop the connectors off if you want and take the entire thing down.

4. You can now see the entire guts of the unit. Change the lights (self explanatory once you see it) and pop the connector wiring back in (if you took it off).

5. IMPORTANT>>> While sliding the unit back into place, use a dull butter knife to "help" the roof fabric back under the lip of the unit by sliding the knife back and forth and tucking it into the lip of the plastic unit.

The first time I did this it took me 10 minutes. I could realistically do it on 2 or 3 now.

PS you don't have to take the plastic lenses off from thwe bottom.
Pics tomorrow once I get home

Jim
Hey Jim,

hoping I could revisit this as it's something I would love to change. Where did you get the bulbs and how did you figure out which ones to buy? I'd like to get something with a blueish tint to it to match the other interior lights.

Thanks,
JYD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts